Cyclist and highway code

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
When I'm out on my bike, I always acknowledge considerate driving if it's safe to do so. It's nice to do it, and maybe it makes it more likely that it'll happen again. I also try and make it as easy as possible for drivers to pass. I don't regard the confrontational approach between road users as a good thing. Cheerful coexistence seems a better way than the deep seated bitterness that seems to lurk beneath the surface of so many interactions.

Ah, didn't realise they were that young, although it's a danger worth teaching at any age in my opinion (maybe less relevant to you if you are rural though).

No, I was meaning the raise of the hand given to thank someone when they have given you right of way or otherwise extended a courtesy. We often get horse riders out where I ride the motorcycle. See them, shut the throttle, tap it down to 1st gear and go past on tickover. I've never failed to get a thank you wave and normally a smile as well. Sit well back of a cyclist effectively defending them, then pass with a wide berth when safe to do so, can't ever remember seeing one. Just wondered if it was something that's taught, but possibly not relevant given the ages?

This is actually quite telling.

You actually expect someone to thank you for for doing what you should be doing anyway, seriously?

Oh and btw, yes I've given and received many many 'little waves' of thanks from cyclists and drivers alike for just doing the decent thing. I've also been completely ignored by many people on cycles, horses and in cars. It about people not their mode of transport.

No I don't expect someone to thank me for doing the right thing, but as per the other post I've quoted, it's the right thing to do, it's the nice thing to do & it makes it more likely to happen again. It's also what I was taught to do as a driver. I simply asked if it was taught to cyclists in the same manner.

What's more telling to me is the inferences you've drawn from that post which nobody else has done. You've also inferred that my desire to provide training for cyclists is blaming the victims; it's anything but, it's born of a desire to prevent them becoming victims in the first place. You also say it's about people, not their mode of transport, but when there's an accident you want assumed liability based on the type of vehicle rather than the driving involved? You've also placed the blame for a rash of cycle fatalities in London on driver negligence without any supporting evidence that I'm aware of; there are other issues involved that I am aware of related to cyclists and the road layout, hence my desire to educate them.

Having some inside knowledge of the issues involved, I can't agree with your opinion. Having seen and been involved with these things first hand at work you're not going to change my mind, and by drawing inferences that simply aren't there you've convinced me that there is something driving this that means there'll be no changing yours. There's little point in continuing this, I'll leave you to it.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
Perhaps a bit of compulsory training for cyclists would help ? It certainly could do no harm .
On a side note where i live we have a ring road around the city center with a cycle lane separate from the
main carriage ways , its a dual carriage way with a 40 limit ,we were on our way to the FILs following a cyclist all in black , no lights
, weaving all over the 2 lanes it was a rainy dark afternoon . when we got along side him the wife wound down her window and politely
asked if he was ok and why he wasn't using the cycle lane as it would be safer for him .
His reply ? "Fu*k off it's a road i will ride how i like c**t "
At that i was sorely tempted to knock him in to the river at the side .
I know this should not be held up as typical but a lot of urban cyclists get aggressive if asked why they are weaving\ no lights and no
visible clothing .
A bit of consideration for all would not go amiss but it works both ways .

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Having some inside knowledge of the issues involved, I can't agree with your opinion. Having seen and been involved with these things first hand at work you're not going to change my mind, and by drawing inferences that simply aren't there you've convinced me that there is something driving this that means there'll be no changing yours. There's little point in continuing this, I'll leave you to it.

Ignorance runs through society regarding cycling - even the Police, judiciary and no doubt wherever your inside knowledge comes from. Change of attitude and perspective will take a generation to implement, but it has to start somewhere.