Cyclist and highway code

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
thousands??? From what I can find out the number killed on UK roads in 2020 was 140 which, I agree, is 140 too many and was an increase of about 30-40 per year on recent years. Certainly not thousands!
Yes you are right, I miss quoted, it was over 4000 seriously injured. But the fact remains cyclists are killed and seriously injured on Britain's roads every year.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That sounds a scary prospect.
So if a car is turning left and I am coming up to the junction I have the right of way to undertake him.
I don’t know many cyclists that would undertake a car/ bus./ lorry or any other vehicle indicating left.
What about drivers who don’t know the yellow lights on the corners of the car are to warn others they are turning.
See lots of them daily.
These changes are more likely to put cyclists in danger imo.

We all need to respect each other on the roads regardless of what your using to get from A to B.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm amazed at the number of motorists that without any consideration of the danger pullout into the path of oncoming traffic to overtake cyclists.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In what way?
Drive in and around London and then you will see the constant dicing with death cyclists and ebikes do every day...jumping lights, carving cars like they are on a slalom, using their phone as they ride, up and down pavements when it suits them, dark clothing and no lights even when it's dark, up the inside of vehicles that are indicating and turning left long before they arrived, speeding. Need I continue?

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah so you meant in the future bikes should pay, not right now.
Fair enough.

But how soon is soon and on what facts are you stating that?
How soon?,,,how about from the next financial/registration year.?
As for facts, non other than the growing number of electric everything on the roads now. Since the congestion charge free pass is being removed form electric cars in 2025, common sense dictates that RFL will also (and should) follow suit.:)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
But motorcycles pay road tax, so why shouldn't bikes that need no rider effort to go forward at speed also pay it?

I agree what you say here, but you post it as if a riposte to my post, which you quote?
Bit puzzled by that.
I was referring back to years ago when , if a vehicle was a mechanically propelled vehicle, it paid road tax. That was in reply to a comment about government changing rules.
I was merely pointing out what the rule was some( long )time ago?

And, of course, e bikes are mechanically propelled vehicles, as is any car.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can't see how bringing in a tax for cyclists is going to make much difference, I'd imaging a good proportion already pay as are car owners to, then where do yo draw the line kids cycling to school paying. All you would do in discourage people from cycling when we should be encouraging more people to cycle. Then there is the matter of enforcement, plenty of motorists already not having insurance and road tax the police are under resorced to enforce.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree what you say here, but you post it as if a riposte to my post, which you quote?
Bit puzzled by that.
I was referring back to years ago when , if a vehicle was a mechanically propelled vehicle, it paid road tax. That was in reply to a comment about government changing rules.
I was merely pointing out what the rule was some( long )time ago?

And, of course, e bikes are mechanically propelled vehicles, as is any car.
Sorry, wasn't meant as anything other than a comment on an ongoing topic:)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't see how bringing in a tax for cyclists is going to make much difference, I'd imaging a good proportion already pay as are car owners to, then where do yo draw the line kids cycling to school paying. All you would do in discourage people from cycling when we should be encouraging more people to cycle. Then there is the matter of enforcement, plenty of motorists already not having insurance and road tax the police are under resorced to enforce.
Cyclists, no. But ebikes that you see flying around delivering your fast food or groceries now should pay a RFL. Motorbikes do, and these ebikes are being used by a business for a business use. The ebikes are also capable of easily exceeding the London speed limit without the rider having to put any effor in at all.

greenone

Visit site
Cyclists, no. But ebikes that you see flying around delivering your fast food or groceries now should pay a RFL. Motorbikes do, and these ebikes are being used by a business for a business use. The ebikes are also capable of easily exceeding the London speed limit without the rider having to put any effor in at all.
They aren't if they are legal. Motor assistance in limited to 25kph.