Custom fit: clubs: does it make a huge difference ?

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was speaking to a friend today who said that custom fit was mandatory on drivers. He then reeled of a batch of technical info about clubhead speed and basically said that the choice of shaft was crucial.

I have never had any custom-fitted clubs although being 6'4" I have always had an extra 1/2 inch on the shaft.

What experiences can anyone share on this issue? (club champ 07: if you are reading this, stop now because it's about clubs.)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have tried 3 'methods' of custom fitting and all bar were a waste of time.

High Street Retailer:- Bored teenager watched me hit a couple of balls and said they seemed fine. They really were classing that as custom fittins and I was too naive to know any better.

Static Fitting: The measurements decided I needed a driver with a 46 inch shaft which, as a newcomer to the game, I could not control.

Registered Clubmaker: Definitely worth it. Spent more than 2 hours watching me hit balls, trying different options, working out what was best for me. Have seen a noticeable difference with all of my clubs but especially with my driver.

If it would not p**s off advertisers, I would be intrigued to see a magazine article on the various companies that are pushing 'custom fitting' and see what they were actually offering and have an expert comment on whether they are actually fitting clubs correctly. I am sure that I am not the only beginner who thought that custom fitting was the same wherever you went. Now I know better.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
100% agree, GB72. The proper custom fitting method you suggest (usually involving a fully qualifed pro and a launch monitor) is the only way to do it properly. Even the pros who use the naked eye can get it wrong. The launch monitor AND experience cuts down the chance of any mistakes.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Done properly its a wonderful thing. However like GB i also had experience of being incorrectly fitted for clubs when I came back to play.

Would guess though at 6ft4 you might need an inch on the clubs. Though so many factors come into it you may not. (static measurements / swing etc) Only reason I say that is I am 6ft6 and I have an inch and a half on my clubs.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am going back to the club fitter on Monday to have a go with a set of Orka irons, mainly because the rest of the gear suits so want to see what they are like, but also because my Di7s need adjustment to the lie to suit me but I am yet to find anyone who can adjust them.

Will report back on the day to see how this matches the service offered by Ping and by the Belfry (on which others have already commented and praised)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't describe custom fit as mandatory on a driver, but it's an easy call for me because I already know my swing speed, general path/face angle and recently my launch angle.
I have owned 5 drivers over the years and not struggled with any of them, apart from needing to get rid of my stiff Burner 9 degree when I went back into recreational golfing (from practicing 5 days a week).
In reality, my irons are too short (6'1" ft in spikes) and I did get a custom set, but looking back, they weren't really the right type of club.

As I have said before, if you are done tinkering with your swing...go and get custom fitted..YES. If (for whatever reason) you are evolving as a player, it may not be worth the effort. This comment discounts added length for really tall players, which is a MUST.

I chose a draw bias on my driver this time because I know that I leave it a few degrees open, but that doesn't matter if I'm coming from the inside. I chose regular spec Aldila.
Not hard to see why I'm boshing it straight and long with a basically off-the-shelf product.

Dave

P

pingpal

Bit sceptical, all the scratch and better players I know have off the shelf standard kit, it seems that higher handicappers are buying into fitting (which is just a way of proprietors parting you with your hard earned) in the misguided bellief that you will be a better golfer -it's all in the head - believe you'll be better and you probably will.
I agree that if you are over 6'1" tall or under 5'6" then perhaps consider getting shorter or longer clubs.
People are obsessing over fitting when they just need to learn how to ball strike with correct technique. Spend the money on PGA lessons, not on fitting cobblers. These adjustments the sellers are claiming to make are absolutely miniscule and make no difference to the club golfer.
There said it - where's the lightning bolt??

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great replies, thanks.

hh, I am amazed at your extra 1.5 inches (steady, this is not a time for "I bet your wife is pleased too" comments...) because the extra 1/2 inch on my irons basically turned my 9 iron into an 8 iron. How does that extra length affect the distance you hit your clubs?

g_2112

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As for the custom fit..., I'm going to get a Titleist D1 with a stiff shaft and an extra 1/2 inch because my current (soon to be illegal) Taylor Made driver is of that spec.

Birdieman, in his new, improved capacity as Pingpal, makes a good point: custom fit seems to be more of a marketing gimmick than a mandatory course of action in respect of drivers. Custom fit irons may be different, I have a 3 hcap mate who swears by his custom-fit Mizunos.

g_2112

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Only my Cobra FP's are custom fitted. I didn't bother being fitted for my driver and am now thinking what a serious mistake it was since wielding my pro's driver the last couple of days.

As for price my irons were the same price whether fitted or not as my supplier is a Cobra fitting centre.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't bother being fitted for my driver and am now thinking what a serious mistake it was since wielding my pro's driver the last couple of days.

You've lost me now......you've done something to your driver (broken it in some way???) and have borrowed one from your Pro, which is going great.....(ok so far).....but surely the Pro's srixon wasn't fitted for you.....
:D :D :D :D

Dave

medwayjon

Tour Winner
My driver was destroyed on wednesday.

My point is that my pro's driver is working so well for me, even better than the f-speed so my mistake was not getting fitted for the big-stick in the past as now I am using a very stiff shafted driver my drives are much better hence my thoughts that I may have been using the wrong shaft in the past by having not been fitted for it.

You get me?

Jon

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
MWJ,

As a member of the F-speed appreciation society I am deeply disappointed by the fact your head has been turned at the first opporchancity and are going to settle for a club that improves your game.

I find it hard to believe that you have given up on the strange looks at the range when you hit it, the bleeding ears, the temporary deafness after each tee shot or the bleeding fingers trying to get the headcover on in the cold?

Am deeply saddened.

Andra

medwayjon

Tour Winner
Andra,

Its terrible me betraying the club I have championed for so long. Unfortunately mine was busted beyond repair.

I would buy another but now I have tried the stiff shafted srixon I think I will carry on using this until the Cobra L4V is available, As soon as the Cobra rep has one in his possession he is bringing it to the range for me to have a blast with. I can't wait!!!

The stiff shaft has really helped my driving.

DCB

Visit site
I have played a variety of drivers with stiff shafts over the past five years and am only now beginning to realise I can no longer swing the club at the speed required to get full distance out of it. Oh yes, the stiff shaft does help keep the ball straighter but I am in the process of reviewing everything regarding my driving. It looks like the macho stiff shafted brute will be relegated to the garage and a regular shafted, high loft driver may well be the preferred weapon of choice by the start of next season.

I'll maybe need to get a couple of stick on tatoos for the forearms just to look macho so that people don't look down at my driver and say "three wood off the tee today?"

medwayjon

Tour Winner
I have gained yardage with the stiff shaft also.

No shame in using a 3 wood off the tee. I played in a four ball a few weeks ago. We had a 420yd par 4 with dogleg l-r at about 230 yards. The other 3 guys all tried to drive over the dog-leg and ended up in the trees whereas I played a 5w off the tee down the left hand side of the fairway to around 250ish leaving me a 5 iron into the green.

Incidentally I prefer a higher loft, always had 10.5deg as it seems to suit me and I just can't see the point in changing that.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
now I am using a very stiff shafted driver my drives are much better hence my thoughts that I may have been using the wrong shaft in the past by having not been fitted for it.
me be understanding now MWJ...thanks!

Dave

DCB

Visit site
MWJ

I am actually looking at changing up to 11° or 12° loft on the driver. Compared to the macho straight faced drivers most of the guys use, the loft will make it look like a three wood!

But, with my swing and the modern way of striking a ball off the tee with a driver this may well be they way to go for me.

Time will tell.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would imagine that 11 or 12 is exactly the way to go.

I read a fascinating scientific study on driver lofts and carry distances. I can't think you will make a mistake.

What are you considering?

Dave