Custom fit for driver worth it?

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
My new Titleist 915d2 driver should arrive tomorrow I went with Titleist because after trying a few different heads out i found the Titleist to be the straightest by far also my misses right were no where near as bad as they would be with a callaway ect.ok I could squeeze out some more yardage with a taylormade m1 but no where near as consistant with it so I thought more fairways wins for me which =915 fitted which in the correct combo gave me what I wanted can't wait to get on the course with it next week .

D

Deleted member 16999

Some say the most important distance in Golf is the X amount of inches between your ears.
I was fitted for my Driver and I have the confidence on the Tee knowing it's currently the best Driver for me, yes I slice or hook or come up short on some drives but that's down to me not the club, it's the confidence a fitted set of Clubs can you helps me, if it's a bad shot, regardless of club, 100% of the time it's me.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Where abouts in the northwest are u hendy? I went to andrew Morris, it was 20 quid for an hour, the guy was canny, we hit several drivers, went through a few shafts and head types on the ping before I decided on the one I bought. But I went knowing I wanted the ping, the m1 and the titleist etc he had recommended trying just to make sure I was right in my choice and like I said I got the best results with the ping.

I did try them once for a iron fit. Got some kid about 16 and was fitted in the range with a gale force wind. Paid the 20 quid plus had to pay for balls. Was pointless by the time I was done the track man had me on a set of i20s but hitting them from the bay they were ballooning in the air more than my set I was looking to replace so there was no way I was handing over the money for a set of new irons after that. Put me right off. And was a fair journey as well. As I live outside derry/londonderry.

Anyways,
I don't spray my drives to much but remember at the time of fitting the guy telling me the Cally came out top. I asked why he showed me the screen am guessing it was track man or whatever and they were the biggest. He then went on to show were the 915 was in comparison it was definitely shorter however it was alot tighter in Terms of dispersion. But again he said the Cally was giving overall the best numbers.

At that point I had a look at all the clubs and that's when I realised the longest shafted driver was giving the best results. But if I was to hit them myself based on feel and how I felt they performed. The shortest in this case the 915 was the best. That's kind of why I didn't bite on that occasion.

And to top it all I hit a few of my own at the start to get some numbers down and didn't hit it to well (I think down to the fact me being a little stiff from the drive up there and due to the club feeling a little to stiff for me in the first place which made me go to the fitting in the first place) then at the end of session I said look I see what the computer is saying I like to just hit 1/2 more with my old driver now to see the difference. And once I did that he couldn't get a reading well so he said. Said the camera only picked up two of the three ball shot and that's why he couldn't get a reading so all in all. Came away thinking that was a waste of time.

I don't know now if I should just take a punt on something second hand that I feel fits the bill for me on paper.

Or go again with a custom fit somewhere else.

Last edited:

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know what u mean it is a bit of gamble. I tried a friends ping g30, at the golf club and liked it. When he saw the numbers off my 910 he said the ping would do the job for me I should look at something else as I could maybe get more benefit. I explained I didn't need the yards I wanted more forgiveness and I have to say I love the g30 would recommend it to anyone, goes miles and very forgiving.
I think there a golf shop near pitchers wine bar in your direction mate, do they not offer a fit? They do have a range so u can try before u buy I think.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Not so sure.
I was the same with my fitting, went in wanting a Ping driver. Knowing full well the Ping is the most forgiving driver in the market IMO.(previously had a G25)but gave every club a fighting chance. Tried everything on offer, longest was the Callaway XR Pro, it wasn't bad dispersion wise either but just couldn't live the fact the ping was a bullet machine.

I often think the problem is people go into a fitting wanting the wrong thing. Everyone is looking for a club that hits the ball miles for that 1in5 swing. Which is fair enough, but I want a driver to find a fairway, even at the cost of distance (okay, I'm not a short hitter so I can sacrifice yardage). Surely a driver that hits fairways 10-20yrds back of your best is the right choice?

Totally agree with this.

I have always been a taylormade fan and previously bought TM drivers because it's what I like the look of and I like the brand. I'm going in on Saturday and I'm going to say I don't have a preference I just want a driver I can consistently hit fairways with. 10-20 yards is a club or 2 at most and id rather be able to strategically place a drive than hit it for miles. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Custom fitting a driver is so important in my view and certainly does depend on your own situation, I'm 6"4 and nothing OTR will ever 'fit' me.

I went recently to the TM tour truck at silver mere and got fit for the M1 driver and 3 wood. Great experience and the benefit for me is knowing I have a club fit for my height, swing speed and style. Trying out all the different X-stiff shafts was great and I could even see a difference is a shaft which was 10g heavier.

I don't change clubs often, last time was in 2008, so I like to do it properly and I know I'm set for the next 8ish years...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the only problem with a handicap golfer and a custom fit is you only get fitted for the swing you turn up with on the day.

I'm lucky enough to be able to borrow stuff and use it on the course a few times once Ive narrowed down head and shaft choice.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dispersion is just as important as length in a driver.
No point in buying a driver that you can hit 300 yards but 60 yards sideways
But in the same breath there's little point in buying one that you can hit bullet straight but less distance than your 3 wood...
More distance than the 3 wood and an acceptable dispersion is what you need and if nothing gives you that, then buy nothing....

When I went to Wentworth with Callaway a couple of years ago, my driving was so bad I didn't have a driver in the bag.
We started with a 12° head + regular shaft, went through lofts and flexes and settled on 10.5° stiff - it was a fairly quick affair as there was a lot going on but I still came away with a club I could hit relatively straight and relatively long.

SPOT ON - More distance than the 3 wood and an acceptable dispersion is what you need and if nothing gives you that, then buy nothing....