How much a difference does a driver shaft make?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well this is also something I have been toying around with- I try to tee it up high- silver/orange castle tee height to get that hitting up feeling.... near the end of the summer that was going quite well but when I started skying a lot went back down to pink castles but generally try to stay at the higher height.

That sort of confirms my thought that you are likely to be hitting down on the ball - which adds (lots of) spin! If that's the case, then it's much better to fix that than to kludge things with a different shaft. If the Diamana is the Blue, then that's a nice mid launch/spin one, so shouldn't balloon! The Red is higher Launch/Spin, but not ludicrously so.

I'd suggest you try using the longest wooden tees you can find (only just put in the ground) and try to ensure that you hit up on the ball! - even almost trying to skim the grass about a foot behind the ball! Make sure the ball is just inside the heel of your front foot at setup.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Scott Gourlay
Craigmillar park golf club
Edinburgh
Dozens and dozens and dozens of shafts
Book a driver shaft fitting, eye opener id say

As if you've a 98-100mph swing, you're defo not getting the most out of it with the yardages you quoted above

Scott's the man IMO. He won't sell you anything unless it helps. It could be you need a run through of your present driver settings.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
That sort of confirms my thought that you are likely to be hitting down on the ball - which adds (lots of) spin! If that's the case, then it's much better to fix that than to kludge things with a different shaft. If the Diamana is the Blue, then that's a nice mid launch/spin one, so shouldn't balloon! The Red is higher Launch/Spin, but not ludicrously so.

I'd suggest you try using the longest wooden tees you can find (only just put in the ground) and try to ensure that you hit up on the ball! - even almost trying to skim the grass about a foot behind the ball! Make sure the ball is just inside the heel of your front foot at setup.

The graffalloy prolaunch red is very low launch low spin though.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was fitted by Callaway and the recommended shaft made a difference of 11 yards and better dispersion than the stock shaft. Best of all is that there was not a price premium over stock.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The difference is unbelievable, try different shafts and the results will change dramatically. Going with a lighter weight X-stiff I can get some serious distance, but with the a heavier Stiff shaft I get better consistency. There is a magical spin rate target to hit of 2000RPM. When I got fitted it was a case of playing around with shafts and lofts until I got a nice low spin rate, but still got a high launch angle.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play a regular shaft but stable tip, swing speed is 98-102. I was thinking of trying a pro launch red in regular, I should be able to make it kick to pick up distance a stiff is a bit tough.
i play stiff shafts in my fairways so project x 6.0 in the 4 w and ust axivcore tour green in my 7 w ... both feel smooth to me which is the feeling I like.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone know how much it is for a fitting at Scott Gourlay's?

I wet for a driver fitting with Scott earlier in the year, pretty sure it was about £35. I tried loads of different shafts and clubheads. In the end he didn't sell me anything and told me to go see a pro because I had a swing issue that was the cause and not the driver as they were all doing pretty much the same thing.
There's his website, he's also on Facebook and twitter.
http://www.sggt.co.uk
Nice knowledgeable guy

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So in the new year I fully intend to go for a shaft fitting and test a load of different shafts on a LM and try and get my setup correct.

In the meantime I have bought my brother a 2nd hand Titleist 910 which has a black Diamana ahina 72 low-mid s-flex- how does this shaft differ to my diamana blue stiff flex? What type of different flight would I see(if any)?

Does anyone know if swapping shafts on titleist drivers is easy- if you completely unscrew the settings does the head come off without having to mess about with ferules etc?

I checked online and have found that a 910 shaft should fit fine in a 915 driver.

daverollo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Turkish, I have a 910D2 driver head. In the last 18 months I have now accumulated 5 different shafts that I can easily change as they all fit the Titty driver. I really loved an Oban one in the 910 head, but have since procured a 915D3 head and the Oban with 915 head just doesn't feel the same or launch the ball the same as it used to. However, one of the accumulated shafts works a treat.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Turkish, I have a 910D2 driver head. In the last 18 months I have now accumulated 5 different shafts that I can easily change as they all fit the Titty driver. I really loved an Oban one in the 910 head, but have since procured a 915D3 head and the Oban with 915 head just doesn't feel the same or launch the ball the same as it used to. However, one of the accumulated shafts works a treat.

Do you prefer the 910 head to 915? both are D2 but 910 is 8.5 degrees whereas 915 is 9.5 degree.

Re the swapping shafts and heads do they simply unscrew off?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unsrew all the way, pull head off, make sure the surefit adaptor is in the right setting for you and put the new head back on lining the surefit setting up with the dot on the head. When you tighten it with the wrench it will click when it's tight enough, like a torque wrench slipping.
Just be careful not to cross thread it, ie go easy when starting to tighten it to make sure it screws in really easy before it starts to tighten up.

The ahina was the old version of the new D+ shaft, which to me feels stiffer than the blue (S+) and should lower your launch and spin.

I felt like I didn't swing hard enough to make the Ahina work properly.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
So in the new year I fully intend to go for a shaft fitting and test a load of different shafts on a LM and try and get my setup correct.

In the meantime I have bought my brother a 2nd hand Titleist 910 which has a black Diamana ahina 72 low-mid s-flex- how does this shaft differ to my diamana blue stiff flex? What type of different flight would I see(if any)?

Does anyone know if swapping shafts on titleist drivers is easy- if you completely unscrew the settings does the head come off without having to mess about with ferules etc?

I checked online and have found that a 910 shaft should fit fine in a 915 driver.

Good luck with the Ahina, have you signed up for the gym? 😁

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Depends how serious you are about your golf if your not bothered and just enjoy a knock. I wouldnt get to bothered about the differances. But seeing as
Your on here asking i would suspect you are bothered. So the correct answer. Yes the differance between having the right and wrong shaft could be massive. I had a bog standard shaft for my G30 and it was ok for me. Had a hit with a tour shaft and took it when i was fitted at Ping for my irons. It was 15 yards differance. Get citted for peace of mind. Plus it could save you money.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good luck with the Ahina, have you signed up for the gym? 😁

LOL popped into range on way home from work and never had wrench so was really testing the 910 at 8.5 degrees in A1 vs my 915 up at A3 (11 degrees) wasn't on LM so couldn't mention distance but did hit some nice shots with it. The 910 did come out a lot lower and "seemed" less spinny but could just be the head.

Did have my swing pro with me so done a SS test and 5 shots of each the lighter blue diamana was average 3 mph faster at 99mph despite being an inch shorter.

So in other words I still have no clue.

Just got me thinking more about even lighter shafts lol

Dispersion wasn't bad on either just thinking there may be a shaft out there I could keep SS up while being a bit less spinny. But could also be the settings I have may not be suited to me.... only one way to really find out and visit the pro I suppose.