How much a difference does a driver shaft make?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I bought off the shelf after trying a few stock clubs and went with what felt best in AG. Was never offered various shafts and lofts.

I have blue diamona stiff Flex shaft. SS varies between 98-100 recently. Last year was 105 but fitness and flexibility has dwindled. As I never got fit foe the driver I've always had niggling thought of having right set up.

How would I go about testing various shafts then repkacing without actually spending £400 on a new driver? Would it even be worthwhile

I'm a honking driver of the ball, albeit I've improved massively in 2 years. My average total is probably 230 but many are high spinny 200 yard balloons.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i would go for a proper fitting if thats what you want.... or just buy a load and try them and find out what works best for you the hard way

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Believe it or not it makes a hell of a difference to ball flight, too soft and it'll balloon, to stiff and it'll stay low causing you to struggle with distance.

I use a stiff shaft because I have a real high trajectory and the stiff shaft helps to eliminate the looping effect thus giving me more distance, now if only I could find a shaft that eliminates the effects of slicing ! :smirk:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I went through a costly experiment of buying a couple of drivers with reg shafts, thinking old age had slowed me down enough to warrant it. Each time I 'garaged' the new driver and put the old one with a stiff shaft back in the bag. I was losing a shed load of balls out right, with a massive slice. I haven't sliced like that for 20 years.

American Golf's double deal was launched and I traded a load of gear in and bought a new driver with a stiff shaft I thought would suit - lots of research on shaft types, spin rates and launch angles. I missed two fairways yesterday, pretty similar to last week. And they're travelling miles.

Most definitely the wrong shaft can destroy your game.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm mid handicapper so my opinion means little, but...
I've always hit high drives, after a bit of research I chose a stiff shaft which is supposed to be lower launching. Put it this way, I had to increase my driver loft as worms were putting on tin hats when i walked up to the tee box. It worked and strangely I've gained a fair bit of distance as a bonus.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.... and just adding to my niggling thoughts lol... have no intention of changing drivers as simply cant afford it, nor could I afford trying multiple shafts.

Am I likely to find a fitter for shaft only?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Short answer is it can completely change a club.

Depending on how you swing you may still hit it high low slice or hook.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.... and just adding to my niggling thoughts lol... have no intention of changing drivers as simply cant afford it, nor could I afford trying multiple shafts.

Am I likely to find a fitter for shaft only?

Scott Gourlay
Craigmillar park golf club
Edinburgh
Dozens and dozens and dozens of shafts
Book a driver shaft fitting, eye opener id say

As if you've a 98-100mph swing, you're defo not getting the most out of it with the yardages you quoted above

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
shaft flex has very little effect on spin, dispersion and launch. i have witnessed and been part of extensive blind shaft testing. however, shaft weight can have dramatic differences on the golf shot.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did a Cobra fitting at my place in the summer and i got on better with a slightly shorter shaft than standard and a bit heavier, starting to see the results of that now. Try find a manufactures demo day and you can try as many shafts as you want

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Also worth a mention are different kick points can make a huge difference.

When I upgraded to the 917 I sold my 915 with the stock shaft it came with. Tried all the available shafts in store and then fitted my old shaft in it. Are up trumps massively.

In fact, the 915 with it was better than any 917 option until I changed the shaft. So I'd say finding a shaft that you like (ahem) is very important.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I bought off the shelf after trying a few stock clubs and went with what felt best in AG. Was never offered various shafts and lofts.

I have blue diamona stiff Flex shaft. SS varies between 98-100 recently. Last year was 105 but fitness and flexibility has dwindled. As I never got fit foe the driver I've always had niggling thought of having right set up.

How would I go about testing various shafts then repkacing without actually spending £400 on a new driver? Would it even be worthwhile

I'm a honking driver of the ball, albeit I've improved massively in 2 years. My average total is probably 230 but many are high spinny 200 yard balloons.

Some useful info in this link

http://www.golfclubshaftreview.com/

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There does seem to be something out of kilter with your (hardware) set-up! But it could also be your physical set-up!

How high do you tee the ball on drives?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There does seem to be something out of kilter with your (hardware) set-up! But it could also be your physical set-up!

How high do you tee the ball on drives?

Well this is also something I have been toying around with- I try to tee it up high- silver/orange castle tee height to get that hitting up feeling.... near the end of the summer that was going quite well but when I started skying a lot went back down to pink castles but generally try to stay at the higher height.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I might have a grafalloy red in stiff with a 910 adaptor on it somewhere you can try. If you hit this high, youve really got swing issues. I think this will fit a 915.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My swingspeed is 94 to 96 and I got high spinny drives that carry about 200, lucky to see 220 total. Regular shaft.

would I be better off trying a stiffer shaft, I got my driver online without testing it

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Turkish go and see David Orr at Eastwood, he can probably let you try shafts plus he has trackman.