CSS - how come?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not a great fan of CSS mainly for the reasons set out by Imurg. Golf handicaps are complicated enough as it is. Golf is an outdoor game and weather is a factor, but it's an intrinsic part of the game. SSS is set for each course why not just let that be enough and what you shoot against the course not the field sets your handicap, whatever the weather.

Why can't CONGU just let us all benefit on those nice calm sunny days and if next week it blows a gale well that's just all part of the game.

On the practical side over the years I guess I've probably gained as much by shooting under CSS when it's gone up as I've lost by CSS being reduced when I've played well. However I'd rather get a cut from shooting under SSS on a day when eveyone plays well than shooting over it when others don't. It feels more like a proper earned cut to get it for a net 69 than a net 72. That and being able to leave the course knowing the outcome and not having to check HDID 2 days later.

I wonder how much difference CSS really makes. Have CONGU ever studied a group to see what the overall effect was over a season compared to if CSS wasn't applied. I reckon very few handicaps would be affected to any major degree.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I would just like to get what I would call a "proper" cut when I have a good scoring round. I can't quantify that statement, but I would like to get the benefit of a cut that reflects better, the number of shots that I shoot under par - not SSS or CSS. EsentiallyI would like to come down in handicap quicker and go up at the same speed for the bad rounds.