Crossfield v Whoever

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
No laying up will be doing just fine sure their tourist source stuff was picked up by American cable

They’re a cut above like but don’t play the algorithm game .

Neil Schuster and Randy are the most charismatic lads in the YouTube golf world ... as a Brit who can’t stand brash Americans I should really hate Neil but I just can’t he’s class , and Randy is great balance

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No laying up will be doing just fine sure their tourist source stuff was picked up by American cable

They’re a cut above like but don’t play the algorithm game .

Neil Schuster and Randy are the most charismatic lads in the YouTube golf world ... as a Brit who can’t stand brash Americans I should really hate Neil but I just can’t he’s class , and Randy is great balance
I do wonder about the subscriptions for some of these channels. NLU has a completely different views/subscriber ratio to many, and certainly seems more genuine.

Over the years, I've found myself "rooting" (listening to far too much US content) for Tron, who I used to find particularly loathsome. I think it's his anti pga stance that has got me warming to him.
The podcasts established the cast of characters such that I wonder what non pod listeners make of the vids.

However dull some of the content gets, let us never forget that 10 years ago there was nothing!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Neil's the man but Big Randall is the star of the show, love that guy. NLU are doing some great stuff, comfortably the best YT content going atm, the Wild World of Golf videos are always a superb watch. Erik Anders Lang makes some nice stuff too, his Adventures in Golf series with Skratch was great.

D

Deleted member 25172

Alex Evans together with “The Biff”, also known as Paul Waring, is by far my favourite YT golf channel.

Guys who seem to be great fun to sit down with for a pint or 8.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watch pretty much all of them.
I'm a bit of a Tom Saguto fanboy and YGT's Rory Anderson is turning out some interesting stuff that he presents particularly well.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Crossfield’s ego is irrationally big. Rick Shiels subscriber list is also overinflated. Only reason it’s so big is the amount of giveaways he does, for which you need to be subscribed.

I got bored of all them all and unsubbed. I stopped watching most of the YouTube Golf channels.

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site
I used to like Finch content, but he’s fallen somewhere in the middle imo.

He used to be my fave, but now I can't watch any of his videos for exactly this reason.

I don't believe he is knowledgeable enough to go serious, yet the charisma is lacking to go entertaining. (Let's not even start on the attempts at humour with the editing).

Springveldt

Visit site
Lol we're all different.
I think they could drop Neil from the line up tomorrow and it would improve immediately. ?‍♂️
Randy ? the charisma of the wet end of my bag towel, but the other lively 3 complement his big dope personality well.
In just my view ?
I'm with @Depreston on this, I usually hate the brash American attitude thing but Neil is very entertaining, him and Randy offset each other perfectly in the Strapped series.

Alex Evans together with “The Biff”, also known as Paul Waring, is by far my favourite YT golf channel.

Guys who seem to be great fun to sit down with for a pint or 8.
Blows my mind he only has 7K subscribers, absolutely brilliant channel.

JGolfer

Visit site
Only watch TxG now, got back into golf last year and got custom fit at AG, I always played with a draw, they said I was really toe down, and ordered my clubs 3 degrees upright, hadn’t played in 10+ years so thought okay fair enough.

My golf scores just kept getting worse, I was constantly going massively left, couldn’t figure out why, watched TxG vid, where they mentioned toe down usually means a fade, but if the player has a draw, going upright will do nothing but hurt them. Straight to a local pro, he looked at them and first words where “they are really really upright”

Fixed them, dropped 10 shots a round within a month. After that they had me. Quality production, unbiased. What more could I want.

Shiels is way too click baity, Crossfield feels like he’s trying to hard, Finch I find bland, and Dan is not my cup of tea.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I used to enjoy watching Rick Shiels but the route he has went down is not appealing to me at all. Click bait rubbish. Videos clearly "sponsored" by manufacturers that he says aren't. I'd love to see the sales figures of those products he reviews after he released the video ;). Shiels is the red top tabloid of golfing youtube. The Daily Star if you like.

Finch I don't mind as such. His quest for the open stuff is pretty interesting and just goes to show how hard golf can be at his level. His instruction videos are good but I'm not a fan of the clickbaity stuff he does like his recent challenge with some kids youtubers. I wish he'd go back to the content over the last couple of years instead of going down Shiels route as his production value was top notch.

I've watched MC since I started playing golf and I've always enjoyed his stuff. Even when I stopped playing I'd still find myself watching his course vlogs. I don't find him as annoying as others do but I agree with his overall view on golf and improvement. Some of the course vlogs are hilarious viewing and I'll be looking forward to more when they can get them done. He strikes me as very much someone who is set in his ways and that's absolutely fine nothing wrong with that IMO. Perhaps some would say an outdated approach but sometimes that is the best one. His content is by far the most interesting and revealing if you can put aside the odd piece of bias towards his current sponsor manufacturer. I read a post on reddit once with someone who met him and they said he was absolutely down to earth. I think alot of people take him the wrong way and maybe he needs to come meet these people halfway. As others said space for all.

Sadly the way Youtube is going will be detrimental to Mark's channel as Youtube is all now clickbait rubbish.
Lockey, is that you?

evemccc

Visit site
I have seen many golf youtubers - Shiels and Finch seem like ‘nice guys’ but I don’t learn anything useful from watching a hole being played only with a 7 iron ?

Danny Maude and Chris Ryan are the only videos I now watch. Both very good on instruction — which is my real aim for watching golf on YouTube

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
During lockdown I subscribed to a lot of YT providers. The reality (I think!) is that the rapidly growing channels are that of the GM Golf crew and all their sidekicks (Matt Scharff (?), Stephen Castenada (?), Michah Morris, Colin Ross - and the style of content Crossfield is complaining about is the type of content they churn out every single day. They've collectively moved locations and are taking it seriously, although their content is anything but. It's fun and silly and pointless and if you're in the mood it's quite entertaining. For example, didn't see anybody do a hickory / old club vlog prior to GM Golf / Brodie Smith (who has now left golf content for golf frisbee for some reason!) and now I've seen everyone have a go!

The problem is MCs ego - he had a good channel with creative appealing content but others have taken it and moved on. Crossfield is struggling to increase his numbers, whereas others are rapidly building. Golfholics provide high quality imagery and golf ability but it's very dull. The Shee sisters are vlogging on course content with other fitness / silliness. TxG is brilliant, but sometimes a little intense! Mr. Short Game I quite like. EAL is artsy but some of the courses he's visited and the history of the places is excellent. Saguto is nuts, but likeable although I couldn't watch it continuously. Golfmates is weird to me - I should hate it, but I find myself watching it. I've started watching James Robinsons stuff and it's quite good.

There should be enough out there for everyone, if MC thinks deriding someone elses content is going to win him fans he is mistaken. Others can see what's happening, and are moving with it. Playing a par 3 with a frying pan isn't golf, but it still makes me laugh. Having Lockey giving forced laughter to more passive aggressive banter does not. But I'll still watch some of his content but I'll know with 30 seconds if I stick with it or not. Finch (ugh) and Shiels aren't stupid - I believe there is a GM Golf crossover coming soon which will suit their needs and content perfectly. MC is missing a trick by standing still.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm with @Depreston on this, I usually hate the brash American attitude thing but Neil is very entertaining, him and Randy offset each other perfectly in the Strapped series.

Blows my mind he only has 7K subscribers, absolutely brilliant channel.

The Strapped series are superb best golf content by a long long way.

D.J is an absolute producing powerhouse too such a talented guy

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf sidekick is doing it for me, just making me realise how simple it could be and how complex I make it ... the lady pro series just gives you perspective.
TXG is brilliant although I have actually fallen asleep during it .. but that’s early mornings biting you in the afternoon.
MC is okay, RS okay but bit boring now, as is PF, average golfer is interesting, golf mates okay nice reality break, Dan H is good as well just easy going, Danny Maude I like the tips and seeing Canterbury. Todd Graves for the Moe Norman stuff, which is very interesting and has helped my driving no end.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hate Shiels. Did watch a few of his videos but found myself watching almost none to the end and so gave up and Youtube has eventually stopped putting them on my page.

Crossfield I believe knows his stuff and comes up with some really interesting videos, even after all these years. Ultimately Youtube becomes an ideas game and it must be almost impossible to come up with new and original vidoes, over and above any course vlogs and equipment reviews.

Simon Smith is really good (SAS Golf). He is currently building a second hand club business and is documenting his progress, starting off with paying £100 for a load of Vega iron heads and using the capital to reinvest. He's now up to something like £7,000 or £8,000 in terms of cash / stock.

I also love the NLU stuff. Ok, they are starting to go a bit corporate with Draftkings and perhaps some of their opinions are tempered from who appears on their podcast (very rarely are they critical of Spieth, for example) but ultimately that's the way the world works and it's a relationship game. And I couldn't even pick my favourite - all 5 are great on the pod and on camera and bring something to the show.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
What are people actually after when watching golf on YouTube?

Instruction
Reviews
Entertainment
Silly stuff

???

I like course vlogs and the odd other entertainment stuff.
Instructions I get from my pro and I don’t want to get conflicting views from the bet, and reviews when I am not in the market for anything is just not my thing, and I don’t like silly stuff.

Btw, golf monthly does great reviews of useful stuff like trolleys or rain gear, never seen the big YouTube celebs do these.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Instruction - Chris Ryan and Danny Maude - simple and to the point and easy to understand
Reviews - Crossfield. When he sticks to what he is good at he's very good
Entertainment - Don't watch too many purely for Entertainment but the series Radar did with Ping was really good to watch
Silly stuff - Again don't watch too many silly videos as they aren't my cup of tea but at a push I'll watch Liam Harrison

evemccc

Visit site
Instruction - Chris Ryan and Danny Maude - simple and to the point and easy to understand
Reviews - Crossfield. When he sticks to what he is good at he's very good
Entertainment - Don't watch too many purely for Entertainment but the series Radar did with Ping was really good to watch
Silly stuff - Again don't watch too many silly videos as they aren't my cup of tea but at a push I'll watch Liam Harrison

Agreed Danny Maude and Chris Ryan are class. Don't treat their audience as fools, give clear concise instruction and no gimmicks or pratting about

NLU I often enjoy. TRon and Soly by far the best IMO

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Golf sidekick is doing it for me, just making me realise how simple it could be and how complex I make it ... the lady pro series just gives you perspective.
TXG is brilliant although I have actually fallen asleep during it .. but that’s early mornings biting you in the afternoon.

Yea golf sidekick is very good I watch him from time to time..

Always wisdom in golf I like.

I like these guys as it's plain and simple to understand. To many pros and YouTube pro just fill your head full of *** and both these two above have taking me from 25 to 7 (upto 8 now tho lol)

I go to a pro first of all and they point out what I do wrong and show and tell me how to fix it. But I find it difficult to do it if am honest I quick look of on wisdom in golf I find a ten minute vid I watch it and it's a light bulb moment.