Crazy range ball prices.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We've this year had completed four large level teeing areas built side-by-side at top end of our range - each with four mats and plenty of room in each teeing ground in front of the mats for practice off grass (when permitted - though only permitted prior to main board or open comp :) ). Plus we have two covered bays. Range balls are provided and collected by greens team once a week - and we've recently had delivery of a large batch of decent range balls. Range is long enough for the driving of all but the BDCs amongst us.

All this is free (at the point of delivery...of course we have to pay for it through our subs). It is a great facility for members and visitors. I consider us very fortunate.

evemccc

Visit site
I’ve not been too impressed with Top Tracer ranges, in that I rarely look at the computer screen for distance... I’d prefer cheaper balls without that installed tbh....Sure the mats are good at the TT range I’ve been to, but just don’t use the computer

When I go to a range I go to work on my swing changes and I can see from the flight and can feel from the contact whether it was a good strike or not

I also know my approximate yardages esp from flushed / good contact strikes and just don’t need that particular tech for working on my swing (which is what I do on the range)

I can see why they’re popular though and could be fun for a casual ‘night out’ with mates and beers etc

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve not been too impressed with Top Tracer ranges, in that I rarely look at the computer screen for distance... I’d prefer cheaper balls without that installed tbh....Sure the mats are good at the TT range I’ve been to, but just don’t use the computer

When I go to a range I go to work on my swing changes and I can see from the flight and can feel from the contact whether it was a good strike or not

I also know my approximate yardages esp from flushed / good contact strikes and just don’t need that particular tech for working on my swing (which is what I do on the range)

I can see why they’re popular though and could be fun for a casual ‘night out’ with mates and beers etc
Yes agree.
They should just have a few bays without TT and make it a bit cheaper for those who don’t want it.

RichA

Visit site
I generally use the range at a course a mile short of the one where I'm a member. You have to buy a top up range card for the machine and it's something like £4 for 30, £5 for 50 and £7 for 80.
When the machine recently broke, you had to collect baskets of balls from the pro shop. When I asked for half a basket they refused and told me to just use half the balls and take the rest home for next time. It would never have occurred to me to do this.
The machine is now fixed, but I've carried on just buying large baskets and only using what I'm in the mood for. As it's en route to my club it's handy for hitting half a dozen drives to warm up before a round.
They probably wouldn't like it, but it was their idea.