Crazy range ball prices.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I generally use three local ranges.

range one, owned by crown golf which uses srixon balls. The bays are ok and balls are £5.00 per 100 which is good value. range two & three are at local clubs, balls are pretty good, bays are ok and balls are priced inline with the above.

Now the fun bit, last week I was at silvermere and while a putter was being gripped i thought I’d hit a bucket, £10 for 60 balls!!!!!! Today I ventured to the local AG range, £9.50 for 100 peak rate. Ok both have tracer bays but £10.00 for 60 balls left me feeling a little violated , and £9.50 for 100 balls, for another £5 I could have got a green fee.

Are range prices rising at an unrealistic rate nationwide or is it just inside the m25?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
There's only one range in inversness, now has a sim, think its £10 for 100. Tendvto use the practice ground you use your own balls tbh.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The range area at my new club isn’t great, it’s between the 1st and 18th and has only 3 bays. If the pros giving lessons they close the range. Plus, and correct golfing attire at all times even if just using the putting green which I appreciate upholds standards but can also be a bit inconvenient when wanting some short game practice after work as an example.

The crown owned one is ok but during the day it’s busy between a rammed course being used for warm ups and junior coaching, but fine in the evenings.

The two on local courses are ok but are uncovered so not good at the moment.

I just can’t help but think the hike in range prices will see less use long term, just wasn’t sure if it was London only.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The range area at my new club isn’t great, it’s between the 1st and 18th and has only 3 bays. If the pros giving lessons they close the range. Plus, and correct golfing attire at all times even if just using the putting green which I appreciate upholds standards but can also be a bit inconvenient when wanting some short game practice after work as an example.

The crown owned one is ok but during the day it’s busy between a rammed course being used for warm ups and junior coaching, but fine in the evenings.

I just can’t help but think the hike in range prices will see less use long term, just wasn’t sure if it was London only.
There used to be 4 nearby to me, 2 standalone and 2 in with a club. 1 of each has closed, and the standalone has installed TopTracer, and since that was installed prices have increase, ball numbers have dropped and its full of 400 yd falling down jeans or families with all the kids.
Getting kids into a sport when young is a good thing, but letting them run out onto the range to get a couple of balls or just running around shouting and screaming isn't fun.
50 balls is £6.75 and 100 balls is £10.40. I can only put up with 25 balls for £3.85.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It seems to be the TopTracer ranges that cost loads more.
2 ranges near here1 has Tracer, 1 doesn't
Costs 3 quid more for TopTracer for 100 balls.
I don't go there...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went to paultons golf course last week

Pre booked the range

1 bay, 2 people..unlimited srixon balls .. top tracer 30 mins .. £10

£7.50 if on your own

Bit more for an hour

Was perfect for a warm up for us 2 we just did 2 shots each then switched

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site

What club are you a member of? I live in your area and was just wondering. Thx

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It seems to be the TopTracer ranges that cost loads more.
2 ranges near here1 has Tracer, 1 doesn't
Costs 3 quid more for TopTracer for 100 balls.
I don't go there...

I’m thinking the same, but I’m also noticing these same ranges have a lot better condition mats

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I’m thinking the same, but I’m also noticing these same ranges have a lot better condition mats
Our "cheap" one has just been refurbished with new balls, mats, tees, targets plus a sports bar with Sky....
Plus it's flat - the other one slopes and you can't see the ball land. And you can clear the back with a driver....

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Now the fun bit, last week I was at silvermere and while a putter was being gripped i thought I’d hit a bucket, £10 for 60 balls!!!!!!
I used to go to Silvermere all the time, best range around. But the prices have put me off. At least these days the balls are included if you book a lesson.

I now use 2 different ranges. Sunbury for when I just want to hit irons (for my swing the roof is too low fo driver), and Sundown Park for Driver and woods. Both are top tracer ranges.
Sundown does 50 (or 60?) balls for GBP 7 which I like. I don't want to hammer 100 balls down the range, I am done after 60 to 70 of them.
Sunbury does 100 for GBP 10. I would like half buckets, but it's cheap enough that I can do some chipping with them to not entirely exhaust myself.

I don't think I would go to a range without top tracer anymore and I am happy to pay a little premium for it.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The belfry was £3.50 for 70 balls. Then top tracer happened. Its now £9.50 for 90 I think. The range is always empty. The picture below is a Saturday night when it would usually be full

Attachments

• IMG-20210807-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210807-WA0007.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 39

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
After several years of visiting my local range, during lockdown, they decided that their 9 hole course AND the driving range would go "member only" 6,000 balls for £250 or £25 per month which is £10 membership and £15 of balls.

Much dearer than it's been for years and less balls for the money so I've given it a miss