Range session

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I went to the driving range last night for a bit of a practice session. My driving has been better recently, but my iron play has regressed a bit. When I got there, there was only one car in the car park. Mine.

I got my bucket of balls, and went upstairs to my usual bay. (not that I’m there that often, but this one has no pillar behind me, and a mirror, so I can admire myself).

So, there are around 50 odd bays, most of which are downstairs.

I’ve hit all of 5 balls when someone arrives, and sets up in the bay behind me. I’m about to hit another, when he asks if I can help him. Me?

He clearly doesn’t have much money, so the old ‘have you considered having lessons’ isn’t going to work.

He asks me to watch him hit a couple of balls, and he proceeds to lash a driver all of 100 yards. Back swing at warp speed that never gets above waist height, and a swing that sends him staggering backwards after every shot. Dispersion is a word that would have no meaning to him.

He wants advice, so I told him (briefly)a bit about take away, shoulder turn, and that he needs to slow it right down. To be fair, I could have told him anything, as he’s not listening anyway. I think he just wanted someone to tell him how good he was. The conversation goes like this:

How would you rate me out of ten?

Depends on what a ten is.

What?

Well, if a ten is Tiger Woods, then I’m not even a one, and so I don’t know where that puts you.

Oh, I think I’m a six.

He then insists I watch him finish his 50 balls, and fishes for admiring comments. Every shot, it’s what about that one? Every time I try to get back to hitting my own balls, he just starts talking again. It drove me nuts.

I know it’s nice that people are interested in golf, and need to be encouraged, but I just wanted to practice a bit, when the range was nice and quiet. I don’t mind offering advice, I do know a bit about swing mechanics, but I’m not a coach. If you ask someone for advice, listen to what they are saying, or dismiss it, and stop pestering. It drove me nuts.

I hit mine ok, until I tried the old half shot. Why are these so difficult?

Next up is a pitching (not chipping, I’m good at that) lesson, although I did see a selection of hozel-less chippers downstairs which would do the job nicely!

Lesson booked for next Monday. Then I can buy a chipper on the way out!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is it when you go to a range for some practice, you always get some "person" who insists on trying to compete or copy what you're doing?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Had a great time at my local range the other day - Nigel Winterburn was there with, I guess his Missus and Son...
All trying to hit various targets at various range.
I waited for them to move onto the next target and then shot a ball or two to within a few feet of their previous one, getting a lot closer than they did..:rofl:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
you do see some funny things at ranges. I don't go and hit balls that often, so when i go its for a lesson in a separate bay well away from the main bays. That was having work done on it last night so had to go down to the main area, the only guys in there were 3 huge Rugby players in tee shirts a smacking the bugger out of shot... it was a least -2 last night, i was freezing with 3 layers on