Range Behaviour - A Cast of Villains

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As the heavens open and the courses close, we are once again forced to hone technique at the range. at an attempt at seasonal levity i have assembled my favourite cast of range irritants.

The Peter Alliss

Relatively tame and common, every shot is followed by descriptive commentary "A bit left to right, there" "280 Yards carry that one, nice!" - annoying but survivable for the first 20 balls. After that your only comfort is laughing inside at the really terrible ones.

The Butch Harmon

A close variant of the Peter Alliss but his commentary is strictly swing technique "Out of the toe" "No, came over the top on that one" or "Still can't stop that movement with the left ankle". This character is most likely to have the swing closest to killing snakes in a phone box of anyone you can see.

The Post Watershed Alliss

Simple this one, every shot accompanied by a short expletive filled burst. You can sense his mood rise from irritation to incandescent fury over the duration of the session. The thumping of club head on mat inevitably starts. This one is the best one to keep your eye on if you want an extra half bucket of balls to finish up with after he has stormed off.

The Brokeback Mountain

Two chaps take neighbouring bays then proceed to gossip away loudly, hitting balls at a rate of one every 8 minutes. If you want to catch up so much, go to the pub, or at least try not to share your conversation with the entire county.

The Call Centre Line Manager

Large bucket of balls but spends the whole session talking loudly on his mobile. His specialty is hitting his final 60 balls with a one armed swing, holding his phone to his ear. His catchphrase - "yeah mate - I'm just up at the range."

The J Arthur

Only applies to the bay behind you, especially where the dividing barriers extend no higher than waist height. This character rips one straight off the hosel into the barrier directly behind you. You will never know how close this came to killing you, but it ruins your session, and often your undergarments. If (as at my range) the barriers are metal, the sound rings out like a bell tolling for your imminent demise.

The Blind Leading the Blind

An inexperienced or hopeless hacker attempts to spend his session instructing an even less experienced golfer. A constant stream of senseless, incomprehensible hints and tips irritate you until you hear he is finally going to step up to show how it is really done. See "The J Arthur". His catchphrase - "These clubs arent the same as the ones I like to use."

The Cat Stevens

A variant of the Blind and the Blind, this is a partnership of father and son where family indiscipline and frustration start to take over. Then begins a special, touching form of domestic breakdown ending with paternal character assassinations and the recounting of past misdemeanours. This continues until the pain is complete and every last ball has been dispatched to ensure maximum discomfort to both parties just to prove a point. You will never get any left over balls from these two, even if there are tears.

Have I missed anyone off? Am I due a visit from 3 ghosts on Xmas eve?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Great post

Youve missed off the big brother contestant - cant walk past a mirror without taking a look at himself in it from every possible angle at every point in the golf swing between every single shot :)

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
"This character is most likely to have the swing closest to killing snakes in a phone box of anyone you can see."

Absolutely priceless.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The "back fence blaster", who only hits his driver....... at 9 million miles per hour

The "how good am I", plays off scratch hits one ball every 3 minutes then walks the range glowing, nodding in personal appreciation, looking like Jesus.

The "romantics", man teaching a woman.. you can't help but wait until you see the classic position of him standing behind her... he wants it!.. you want it!....... It's gonna happen!..... and..... there he goes.....................

Last edited:

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
After meeting Butch Harmon when my pro got lessons with him this year, you could definitely do a post water shed version.

The guy who sees his mate turn up half way through and they loudly banter and berate each others mistakes. Even louder with their own good ones. Playing range games but loud enough to get your attention 6 bays away but it will all be like stand up lol. If the types of words used were posted here the swear filter would break lol.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The 'fiddler on the roof', 3,000 checks on all his positions, hands, arms, wists, alignment, then skys it into the roof of the bay

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The 'stack and tilter'... hits nice shots, nice swing, nice car, nice girlfriend, and very, very handsome.

(...thought I'd get that one in early!) :p

ventura

Head Pro
Visit site
The family man

Brings his 3 or 4 kids with him and sends them down to the other end of the range (usually where you are) with a few clubs and a bucket of balls to share while he hits balls. Kids then scream and shout for an hour but he's too far away to hear!

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
The family man

Brings his 3 or 4 kids with him and sends them down to the other end of the range (usually where you are) with a few clubs and a bucket of balls to share while he hits balls. Kids then scream and shout for an hour but he's too far away to hear!

Apologies mate. Didn't realise you were down that end. Come up here to my end but leave my kids down there lol. Any closer and I can hear them lol.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
The girlfriend

Quite common at therange I go too. Seen with boyfriend or alone, has no idea but hits 50 balls about 20 yards at most.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
The group of spotty teenagers.
They have a free afternoon so they decide to hit the range.
They walk in counting out there coppers and 5ps.
Dont have there own clubs,so hire the Dunlop headfalloffers.
They stroll in with there jeans half way down there ass,talking about Grand theft auto,with
there skate boards under there arms.
As the first slice into the boards of the bay, rings around the adjouning bays and people duck for cover,
a ring of childish chuckles follows.
This carries on for the next half hour until all balls have gone,then they run and collect the balls that are closest
stopping everyone else in there tracks.
Once finished they walk past everyone talking about how well they think it went.
At last we can concentrate.
Probably why i dont go up the range any more.:)

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
The One Tee Hitter

Hits every shot using a high tee being it driver ,iron or rescue,saw it a few months ago the guy hit every club using a high tee there were people diving everywhere he hit that many inside he was like bloody Gatlan Gun he hit them that quick.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The Daddy!

Brings his reluctant son or daughter to teach and inspire them to greatness and financial security.

After 'lecturing' them for ages on grip stance posture "head still" "head still", "no, not like that", then proceeds to show them how to do it....
...top, shank, duff and thin.......

no-one on the range dares to look! :eek: