Course & Slope Rating discussion points

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
with the new system I might only get 16 shots round a short course, but 20 at an Open Qualifying venue type place. In my view much fairer.
It does seem fairer that you get any handicap adjustments applied before you play, rather than the SSS / CSS measure being applied after you’ve played.
And in inter club match play that could be interesting.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Those factors are specific parts of the rating assessment process. Unlikely to be missed as boxes have to be completed with values not just ticks.

In fairness were just examples of things that might have been missed or downplayed depending on when they were rated. i appreciate there's a lot that goes into the rating process.

My course seems to have been last done in 2016. I'm sure something like thinning out the trees and improving fairway drainage would not result in a re-rating being carried out, but it would mean firmer conditions for more of the year (and earlier in the mornings as well) which could have a noticeable cumulative effect on shorter hitters whom the slope rating is giving additional shots to round a long course.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Has anyone come across a course with tees with a slope rating of 113?
Could be a good bit of marketing - come and play the benchmark - plus easy maths for the members ?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Could be a good bit of marketing - come and play the benchmark - plus easy maths for the members ?

Yes Bulwell golf club Nottingham. Play the benchmark, bring extra balls because they’ll get nicked but a hobo with cider will sell you some on the 9th. driest course in Nottingham but also the crappest of locations. :ROFLMAO:

NearHull

Visit site
Two courses near me with slopes of 113, Skidby Lakes and Burstwick both off yellows. Interestingly, Skidby Lakes off whites is 111.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think that is a somewhat misleading statement. Course Handicap Tables relate specifically to the course rating for the course being played.

I think your mixing Course Rating with Slope Rating.

I agree with rosecott. If I take my Handicap index and just multiply it by slope/113 for my course it comes out at 26

If I instead look at my handicap index on our course chart it comes out as 25
as course rating is 0.7 less than Par.

Being as we are told to look at the chart for the course we are playing the course rating is being used in the calculation.

Furthermore our yellow tees would come out as the same as the whites as the slope ratings are almost the same if the course rating was not used, but the course rating is 2.3 less hence in comes out at 23 for the yellow tees

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Since posing the question I stumbled across Kirtlington yellows as 113, whites 114.
And dear old Mundesley in Norfolk.
So a few about.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree with rosecott. If I take my Handicap index and just multiply it by slope/113 for my course it comes out at 26

If I instead look at my handicap index on our course chart it comes out as 25
as course rating is 0.7 less than Par.

Being as we are told to look at the chart for the course we are playing the course rating is being used in the calculation.

Furthermore our yellow tees would come out as the same as the whites as the slope ratings are almost the same if the course rating was not used, but the course rating is 2.3 less hence in comes out at 23 for the yellow tees

Then I fear your club may have got the wrong charts. It is quite clear that neither England or the other UK governing bodies are including Par +/- course rating in the calculation of course handicap.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site

113 is just the rating where it has been decided that both a scratch golfer and a bogey golfer have an equal chance of playing to their respective handicaps. All other courses are rated from that fulcrum point.

Well, that is how I understand it so far! :D

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
113 is just the rating where it has been decided that both a scratch golfer and a bogey golfer have an equal chance of playing to their respective handicaps. All other courses are rated from that fulcrum point.

It should offer the same chance of them playing to their handicap indexes. The course handicap should allow the same chance for courses with a slope other than 113.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

It is simply the marker for a course where any player should play to his handicap without recourse to any additional shots provided by the slope. ie his Course Handicap is equal to his Handicap Index.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
All I know is I have gone from getting 8 shots around 9 holes at my local par three to getting just two!

It is rated 24/85 for 9 holes.

sunshine

Visit site
Course Rating is totally irrelevant in match play and to competition winners. It is only relevant to changes in handicap.

My Handicap Index is the same at both courses and both courses have the same Slope Rating, therefore my Playing Handicap is the same at both courses.

I believe the playing handicap is measured against the course rating, not against par. If B&B has a higher course rating you ill get more shots. I think... it's complicated

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe the playing handicap is measured against the course rating, not against par. If B&B has a higher course rating you ill get more shots. I think... it's complicated
Course Handicap = Handicap Index x Slope Rating.
Playing Handicap = Course Handicap x handicap allowance (eg 95%)

No mention of Course Rating (or par)

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
ok, but what do you add the playing handicap to? Par or CR?

As already said Course Rating is only relevant to Handicap Adjustments.

When you have played a round you take your Playing Handicap away from you gross score to give you your nett score.

This nett score would then be converted back to a course handicap and compared to the playing conditions calculation to see if you played better than your Handicap Index or to check if it now forms part of you best 8 scores.

In stableford the playing handicap would be used to tell which holes you get shots on.