England Golf to Adopt the USGA Course Rating System

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, but my understanding is that re-rating all courses is a 10-year project so don't hold your breath for any sudden change. The hope is for a worldwide common system based on the USGA slope system.

So given this is gonna take quite a while, when will this actually be used? If you have your own course rated can you use it straight away? What do you do when visiting a course without a rating?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
So given this is gonna take quite a while, when will this actually be used? If you have your own course rated can you use it straight away? What do you do when visiting a course without a rating?

I assume that nothing will happen until all courses are re-rated and who knows what changes to thinking may have happened.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to say it will be hilarious when it does happen as there are a few at my place the struggle with the handicap system where they only have to remember what they play off let alone work it out for every course they play!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to say it will be hilarious when it does happen as there are a few at my place the struggle with the handicap system where they only have to remember what they play off let alone work it out for every course they play!

In NZ pretty much every course had a touch screen computer that you enter your ID number into and your handicap is printed out on the card and where you get your strokes. Not seen that anywhere here yet

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
It does sound a decent system and acknowledges the fact that certain elements of the course layout etc have a greater impact on the bogey golfer compared to a scratch golfer.

The existing course ratings for Scotland are on this site:

http://www.popeofslope.com/scotland/courseratings.html

Quick scan of the ratings. Southerness has the highest rating of 148. Narin 146, Newmachar and Carnoustie on 145? Meldrum House has a rating of 250??! Played it and it's not that difficult. Have they made it mandatory to play with a blindfold after drinking a bottle of whiskey?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Quick scan of the ratings. Southerness has the highest rating of 148. Narin 146, Newmachar and Carnoustie on 145? Meldrum House has a rating of 250??! Played it and it's not that difficult. Have they made it mandatory to play with a blindfold after drinking a bottle of whiskey?

now thats a form of golf I think Id have a chance at Ron :p

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

Meldrum would be a typo, the rating system doesn't go that high.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've read comments about this on here before but hadn't really given it too much thought until I just saw that it comes into effect on Jan 1st 2014. So can anyone who understands these things tell me what it means to English golf courses? Will we now have a course rating and a slope rating or is it simply a different method of calculating SSS :confused: either way, I assume all course will need to be re-rated?

As far as I can tell, it's just a way of re-assessing SSS to give better parity between courses. No slope rating.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As far as I can tell, it's just a way of re-assessing SSS to give better parity between courses. No slope rating.

It's more than that. They couldn't/wouldn't be able to justify spending £400k, over 10 years, if it was simply that! Check out that document!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
But no mention of a slope rating, or a change to a USGA type handicapping system![/QUOTE

Taken from the link provided

Worldwide Handicapping System Discussion
Discussions have taken place between the R&A and USGA with a view to developing a
worldwide handicapping system. A formal meeting was held earlier this year, attended by
the R&A, USGA, CONGU, EGA (European Golf Association), GA(Golf Australia), RSA
(South Africa) and Argentina. Also in attendance, and an indication of the perceived
importance of the project, were Peter Dawson and Mike Davis, respective Chief
Executives of the R&A and the USGA.

There are 6 main systems in use at present. The goal is to work towards a core system
with local variations worldwide. Everyone gave a presentation on their system, and what
they felt was important locally. A new system will be based on USGA system, but not
lock stock and barrel. However, if based on the USGA system the likelihood of some
element of Slope being incorporated is very likely. The USGA is aware of some of the
inaccuracies generated by Slope in its current form and is prepared to address them.

All representatives were requested to go back to their organisations then provide
feedback to the R&A. All have now done so, and feedback has been positive.