England Golf to Adopt the USGA Course Rating System

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've read comments about this on here before but hadn't really given it too much thought until I just saw that it comes into effect on Jan 1st 2014. So can anyone who understands these things tell me what it means to English golf courses? Will we now have a course rating and a slope rating or is it simply a different method of calculating SSS :confused: either way, I assume all course will need to be re-rated?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
same here! I don't actually understand the slope rating anyway. I'm sure my club probably aren't even aware what is happening...!

G

guest100718

Does this mean we will all be plus cappers llike on WRX?

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
from what I know from my friends across the water, the h/caps could be fairer when travelling, makes sense from the little I have gleaned so far.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
from what I know from my friends across the water, the h/caps could be fairer when travelling, makes sense from the little I have gleaned so far.

It does sound a decent system and acknowledges the fact that certain elements of the course layout etc have a greater impact on the bogey golfer compared to a scratch golfer.

The existing course ratings for Scotland are on this site:

http://www.popeofslope.com/scotland/courseratings.html

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Do you know if will we end up with slope ratings as well as course ratings?

The USGA System actually consists of a (Scatch) Rating, like SSS, AND a Slope ([to] a Bogey Golfer rating). So Yes!

What I believe won't happen (immediately) is a change to the US Handicap System - which is an Index rather than a Value. The US Handicap System requires the US Course Rating System. The US Course Rting System does not require the US Handicap System.

Apart from the mechanics of maintaining a US Handicap, the major difference is that you look up a chart for the course/tees and your Index in order to determine what handicap you are playing off for the round. I'm a fan of this!

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you know if will we end up with slope ratings as well as course ratings?

Yes, but my understanding is that re-rating all courses is a 10-year project so don't hold your breath for any sudden change. The hope is for a worldwide common system based on the USGA slope system.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
does anyone know what the slope ratings mean?

My course is sloped at 146, is that easy or hard?

I'm guessing Hard - I've just worked it out for your course and off 5.7 you would play off 7 instead of 6 at your course. Off my 18.7, I would play off of 24 instead of 19.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
does anyone know what the slope ratings mean?

My course is sloped at 146, is that easy or hard?

Very hard! Right up there or a tiny bit below the very hardest - 155 max; 'Standard' is 115. Good to very good are 130+

Carnoustie iSlope s/was 145 rated at 75.1

What is Nairn's Course Rating - and Par?

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
acutually i got that of that link posted earlier and its wrong, just looked on the card and its 72.6 ...134 off the white. blue is 74.1 .. 137.

D

Deleted member 17920

I know all the county unions have been trained to reasses the course. I had heard we was going to run both for a period of time