Our Course Slope rating has changed but our HI hasn't

nyckuk

Visit site
We had a provisional Slope of 123 and Course Rating 69.5 when our WHS HCP was worked out which gave me a HI of 17.5 and Course Hcp of 19
The golf course have just put on social media the new Slope Rating Tables that have been fitted , thats when i noticed our new Slope of 118

England Golf Website is showing our course has changed to 118 + CR 69 but when I goto "My Overview or Scores" my HCP is still worked out using the old original course figures

So Previous HI 17.5 = CH 19
New slope 118 HI 17.5 = CH 18
Working out HI with the new slope 118 + CR 69 etc HI 18.7 = CH 20

Im going to email EG and my club but they take a while to respond , so i thought ill ask on here if anyone else is in the same boat or was in the same boat but it been all updated on the EG website

thanks Nick

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Your hcp was calculated on the CR at the time, I don't think it should be changed after the course is re-rated.

At my old club years ago the SSS went from 70 to 71. Everyone's handicap stayed the same.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your Index is calculated from the information held in the system at that time (albeit provisional). There is no retrospective adjustment. It is exactly the same as if your course was physically altered.

nyckuk

Visit site
It would be fine as all our members are in the same position for comps etc.. But if we go to any other courses or a new golfer joins we are at a disadvantage
IE a new golfer joins , bangs in the exactly same scores as me they'll have their HI worked out on the new 118+69 and have a 2 shot advantage
I know it will even up in the end ,but that will take at least a whole seasons play if not more , where a quick change at EG could change it now as we've still got 2 weeks before the season starts

Put yourself in ours shoes Im pretty sure everyone would feel the same ,getting knocked out of a Comp by 1 shot knowing the only reason they beat you was due to them joining the club at a later date , not playing any better.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It would be fine as all our members are in the same position for comps etc.. But if we go to any other courses or a new golfer joins we are at a disadvantage
IE a new golfer joins , bangs in the exactly same scores as me they'll have their HI worked out on the new 118+69 and have a 2 shot advantage
I know it will even up in the end ,but that will take at least a whole seasons play if not more , where a quick change at EG could change it now as we've still got 2 weeks before the season starts

Put yourself in ours shoes Im pretty sure everyone would feel the same ,getting knocked out of a Comp by 1 shot knowing the only reason they beat you was due to them joining the club at a later date , not playing any better.

To a layman like me, that doesn‘t sound right. I can see it if the ratings changed because of changes to the course, because then the new member will have obtained the same scores as you on a different course layout. But if they have been changed simply due to a review of the original assessments, then surely handicaps should change too. ?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
No need to change HC because of the reasons the OP stated + there are many clubs who will be on a provisional slope and there’s no way 100’s of members will receive new HC when clubs get the correct slope.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No need to change HC because of the reasons the OP stated + there are many clubs who will be on a provisional slope and there’s no way 100’s of members will receive new HC when clubs get the correct slope.
Yes. There are scores of clubs that were allocated a provisional rating because their county raters didn't have time or the raters were not trained soon enough or (in many cases) some clubs wouldn't give the raters the course time necessary to do the work.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a provisional Slope of 123 and Course Rating 69.5 when our WHS HCP was worked out which gave me a HI of 17.5 and Course Hcp of 19
The golf course have just put on social media the new Slope Rating Tables that have been fitted , thats when i noticed our new Slope of 118

England Golf Website is showing our course has changed to 118 + CR 69 but when I goto "My Overview or Scores" my HCP is still worked out using the old original course figures

So Previous HI 17.5 = CH 19
New slope 118 HI 17.5 = CH 18
Working out HI with the new slope 118 + CR 69 etc HI 18.7 = CH 20

Im going to email EG and my club but they take a while to respond , so i thought ill ask on here if anyone else is in the same boat or was in the same boat but it been all updated on the EG website

thanks Nick

Your Handicap Index changes are done by comparing actual score (with any adjustments) with the Course Rating and the Course Rating has only changed by 0.5 so there would not be much of a change if it was done anyway.

When you say you are worried about a new member if they have come form another club their H.I. will be based on their old club so really cannot be compared. If it is a completely new member they need to put in around 16 qualifying score before their H.I. truly reflects their ability anyway.

ForeRight

Visit site
Your Handicap Index changes are done by comparing actual score (with any adjustments) with the Course Rating and the Course Rating has only changed by 0.5 so there would not be much of a change if it was done anyway.

When you say you are worried about a new member if they have come form another club their H.I. will be based on their old club so really cannot be compared. If it is a completely new member they need to put in around 16 qualifying score before their H.I. truly reflects their ability anyway.

Isn't one of the main porposes of the WHS that Handicap Indexes are directly comparable across players at different clubs?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn't one of the main porposes of the WHS that Handicap Indexes are directly comparable across players at different clubs?

In the long run probably part true but the WHS has not been running long enough for this to be really true.

To me it is more about a players handicap index and probable nett score would be the same wherever they play.

Say also A player who leaves a very difficult club may well find that if they join a club which is relatively easy, after a while they should see their H.I reduce. I have played clubs where I could shoot scores several better gross than where I play now without (having checked one in particular with same CR ) and would expect after if I joined there after a while my H.I. to be lower.

nyckuk

Visit site
I’ve won against the machine
Our club secretary showed me an email from EG saying they won’t be updating the members HCP when he queried it with them a while ago .
But well and behold , I got the email from EG saying they have now updated our club ratings/HCP
I checked and it’s as it should be on the App/website
92991A67-6E35-4ACC-A335-90899EE151D3.jpeg