Course recommendations

FELL75

Visit site
Kids and missus will be going to Harry Potter world in the next month or so, is near Watford. In between dropping off and picking up looking to get a round in. I see West Herts and Batchworth Park are close. Having not played in the area any local knowledge recommendations on here? Many thanks.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After spending Xmas with the grandchildren I fully understand the need to get away from the kids every so often:LOL:.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
West Herts is a decent track, but expect like a lot of other places its currently suffering from the heavy rain thats been down. The Grove is nice and close, depending on your budget? Aldenham another thats always felt like a bit of a slog to me, Porters Park over at Radlett a decent track albeit a little more of a drive, Sandy Lodge is nice and may drain better than some of the others locally. Or theres always tricky Ricky.

Several years since I played any of them so cant comment on condition, Murph or Pieman would be the guys to ask but not sure either of them about these days, Ori local to that area too

FELL75

Visit site
West Herts is a decent track, but expect like a lot of other places its currently suffering from the heavy rain thats been down. The Grove is nice and close, depending on your budget? Aldenham another thats always felt like a bit of a slog to me, Porters Park over at Radlett a decent track albeit a little more of a drive, Sandy Lodge is nice and may drain better than some of the others locally. Or theres always tricky Ricky.

Several years since I played any of them so cant comment on condition, Murph or Pieman would be the guys to ask but not sure either of them about these days, Ori local to that area too
Thanks, Fundy. Appreciate the reply.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sandy Lodge is on our golf soc calendar this year.
Is it any good?

Its a bit marmite in terms of layout imo, but always been in excellent nick when Ive played it, greens especially are usually excellent. some good holes and some lesser ones, if youve not played it, definitely worth playing

Bigstix

Visit site
Sandy Lodge for sure. If you want to drive a bit further South Herts (Harry Vardon's old club), Old Fold Manor and The Shire (Seve designed course)...Essendon is also worth a shout.

Grizzly

Visit site
My current part of the world and... look, I might say something different in high summer, but the conditions round here right now are awful. Go with your kids, even if you hate the character, enjoy them enjoying the experience. You will remember that much more fondly than wiping mud from places mud should never get.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My current part of the world and... look, I might say something different in high summer, but the conditions round here right now are awful. Go with your kids, even if you hate the character, enjoy them enjoying the experience. You will remember that much more fondly than wiping mud from places mud should never get.

Inclined to agree! By all accounts a great experience for all ages!

Weather has been particularly dire - at least for golf - in that/this neck of the woods for a week or more. Even the 'well draining' courses will be very soggy currently. The Shire (that I'm happy to travel 40+ miles to play - in Summer) has been closed for several days - and is on clay. Old Fold will be the same as it's right across the road (but drains into The Shire!). Royston was the choice of my mates (who similarly love the challenge of The Shire in summer) at the weekend - hilly and on chalk!

Last edited:

batchworth

Visit site
I’m a member at Batchworth. You can’t play at there unless you are a member or play with a member. We just got an email yesterday saying they are shutting the course as from tomorrow, due to weather conditions and because off covid rates.
I would look at Rickmansworth public golf club, it’s nothing special but worth playing for the money. A few of us will go and play there whilst our club is shut.
Others have mentioned the Grove as it is next door to Harry Potter, but personally I think it is so overpriced for what you get.

sunshine

Visit site
“In the next month” means drainage will be your primary concern. What’s your budget? If you’re happy to splash out, then the Grove has excellent drainage. A little bit cheaper, Sandy Lodge is dry (the clue is in the name) and Berkhamsted is heathland. I wouldn’t waste a green fee anywhere else at this time of year. Any cheaper course will be a mud bath.

Essendon and the Shire are terrible recommendations for golf in January ?

FELL75

Visit site
I’m a member at Batchworth. You can’t play at there unless you are a member or play with a member. We just got an email yesterday saying they are shutting the course as from tomorrow, due to weather conditions and because off covid rates.
I would look at Rickmansworth public golf club, it’s nothing special but worth playing for the money. A few of us will go and play there whilst our club is shut.
Others have mentioned the Grove as it is next door to Harry Potter, but personally I think it is so overpriced for what you get.
Thanks, Batchworth. Plan to leave it a couple of months given covid and weather. Roll on spring.