Course recommendations

batchworth

Visit site
I always enjoy The Grove, but always come away from there thinking "Crikey, how much?" :ROFLMAO:

Someone told me they are currently charging £170 for a round !!

It is a course that is kept in great condition and the facilities are great, but it is a bit soulless and lacks history and character.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I respect you for swerving the Harry Potter nonsense.

Although I live in Watford I can't really advise you on the posher courses as I haven't played any. ? I've heard West Herts is nice and would like to give that a go myself someday.

sunshine

Visit site
Someone told me they are currently charging £170 for a round !!

It is a course that is kept in great condition and the facilities are great, but it is a bit soulless and lacks history and character.

It’s currently significantly cheaper than that, but I agree with everyone else that the Grove is hugely over priced. It’s not just the green fees, everything is exhorbitant there. But if you can get a deal on the golf it’s worth it because the condition is always immaculate.

They bought some history by hosting the WGC back in 2006. I’m sure Tiger’s appearance fee was well worth it.

Grizzly

Visit site
It’s currently significantly cheaper than that, but I agree with everyone else that the Grove is hugely over priced. It’s not just the green fees, everything is exhorbitant there. But if you can get a deal on the golf it’s worth it because the condition is always immaculate.

They bought some history by hosting the WGC back in 2006. I’m sure Tiger’s appearance fee was well worth it.

It is what it is - a decent layout that makes the most out of a largely unremarkable tract of land with some good green complexes and great conditioning. And, as you say, the Tiger factor. Whether any course is truly worth some of the numbers they quote is a matter of personal opinion.