Course Recommendation Between Manchester and Walesland!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Delamere is generally always a firm course and is a cracker, Kaz.

Sandiway is a slightly better course in my opinion, also looks like a well draining course. Both very similar to Lanark in terms of layout, although the surrounding views arent as nice as Lanark, but Sandiway is probably even better as a course.

I think both are only about 20 mins from the M6 and a pretty straightish run.

I think that the M6 onto the M5 is closed at the mo, so from both, you could take the A49 cross country route down to Chepstow also, which may not be too bad, also, from both of them. Check the traffic situation.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Bit of a wildcard! Adds almost 2 hours to the trip though so probably not.

It shouldn't really be anymore than an hour detour maximum but thinking about it, it might not work due to the travel time for you to get there from Scotsville and the nights drawing in now. It's pretty gloomy down here now by 6.30 🤔

D

Deleted member 1740

Kaz i'd take Pedro's route and go cross country A49, its a much nicer drive than the dreaded M6.

If you want to head over to liverpool you're welcome to come to mine for a round.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Delamere is generally always a firm course and is a cracker, Kaz.

Sandiway is a slightly better course in my opinion, also looks like a well draining course. Both very similar to Lanark in terms of layout, although the surrounding views arent as nice as Lanark, but Sandiway is probably even better as a course.

I think both are only about 20 mins from the M6 and a pretty straightish run.

I think that the M6 onto the M5 is closed at the mo, so from both, you could take the A49 cross country route down to Chepstow also, which may not be too bad, also, from both of them. Check the traffic situation.

M5 just off the M6 has got roadworks for next 2 years so can expect major delays, more so in weekdays than Sats. Good shout for A49 , as journey down Wye Valley this time of year can be spectacular

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Great shout for the A49. Dual to south of Wrexham and apart from a few squiggly bits its a really good run. May well turn out to be quicker from the Midlands down over.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Cheers folks, will look into the A49.... google maps suggests it'll take about an hour longer than M6/M5 however?

The M5/M6/M42 form a ringroad around the Birmingham conurbation so you could stay on the M6 southbound then peel off onto the M42 and follow it round then pick up the M5 again :thup:

D

Deleted member 21258

I drive M54, M6 fairly regularly, I just normally stick with motorways if looking to do a trip as quick as possible, as even when they are slow, they are normally quicker than A road detours.

If after a top course, then would definitely recommend Beau like a few others have mentioned, it is lovely there, the terrain is very good and the greens have some proper slopes on them.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any thoughts on Houghwood? Looks good geographically and a bit less pricey than some of the above! :)

DaveMc is a member there, on the side of a mountain I believe but I haven't played it!

Is it Saturday afternoon you're looking for a knock? Could probably get you on at mine (Fairhaven in Lytham) if you're looking for a game?

Sandiway is a superb course, may a bit wet though (was last Monday when we played, not outrageous but was a bit damp in places).

Otherwise Beau Desert is one of my favourites, a cracking course and not far off M6 at all.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers folks, will look into the A49.... google maps suggests it'll take about an hour longer than M6/M5 however?

It will be longer for sure but the scenery is brilliant as you'll be traveling through God's own County in Herefordshire, might be a bit biased there ;), Traffic through Hereford can be a pain as only one bridge

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any thoughts on Houghwood? Looks good geographically and a bit less pricey than some of the above! :)

Average without being unkind.

Great if one leg is 4 inches longer than the other though.:D

If you did do sandiway/Delamere, its 20 odd minutes back to the m6, so maybe only 40 mins different then. Has google maps factored in the extra sue to roadworks? The A49 route also has lots of places to stop off for a pub lunch/tea on the way down also.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sandiway and Delamere are great courses, I think Delamere is better but I played there for 4 years so probably. biased!
Warrington is definitely the best topographicaly, about 3 miles from the M6 and then M56.
I took Capella for a round there last week and she seemed to enjoy it
I could sign you in if it suited you but be aware I would have to play with guests!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sandiway and Delamere are great courses, I think Delamere is better but I played there for 4 years so probably. biased!
Warrington is definitely the best topographicaly, about 3 miles from the M6 and then M56.
I took Capella for a round there last week and she seemed to enjoy it
I could sign you in if it suited you but be aware I would have to play with guests!

You're turning into a right ladies man :D.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks everyone, especially the kind offers to sign us in. I need to chat with my partner to decide what we should do. :)

I really wouldn't bother with Houghwood. Nothing really wrong with it, but there are far better options around. Delamere and Sandiway are excellent. 30 minutes off the M6 takes you too the Links courses near Southport. S&A, Hillside, Birkdale. West Lancs ticks a lot of boxes and is definitely worth the slight extra distance. Pleasington is only 10-15 minutes off the M6 towards Blackburn. Preston is 5 minutes from J32.