Course Recommendation Between Manchester and Walesland!

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really wouldn't bother with Houghwood. Nothing really wrong with it, but there are far better options around. Delamere and Sandiway are excellent. 30 minutes off the M6 takes you too the Links courses near Southport. S&A, Hillside, Birkdale. West Lancs ticks a lot of boxes and is definitely worth the slight extra distance. Pleasington is only 10-15 minutes off the M6 towards Blackburn. Preston is 5 minutes from J32.

Pleasington is a very good shout mate, totally forgot about it. Certainly no more than 10 mins detour, reasonably priced and most of it sand based.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As others have said Houghwood is a decent enough course but certainly not the best in the area. First couple of greens arnt great at the minute.

on the upside, I hear it's very rarely closed and never goes on temps. Cracking walk with great views on a clear day.It is off mats in the winter and buggies have to stick to the paths.

if all this still hasn't put you off, get in touch and I'll get you on there :thup:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like oss on Wye, it's pleasant but not in the same league (or price range mind) as some of the others mentioned (Beau, Delamere etc)

Plus it's on very heavy ground so I would imagine it will be boggy unlike the above that are sand based

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ended up playing at Crewe. Course in good condition considering recent weather - greens great!

Got soaked but enjoyed it... played well which helps!