Course closed for 'course work'

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
remember that happening at a club I knew, it then didnt rain for ages either just to compound the issue!

Did they not have an irrigation system then.

I remember coring greens in August for the first time round about the late 1990's.
The golfers went balistic.
When told the alternative was to close the course for a week they went full buster bloodvessel.
The clubs committee members wanted me to do the coring at the end of October as per normal.:love:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When it comes to hollow coring in the Autumn this year, we have been informed that the club will be closed for 3 days while it is done. It was such a faff last year due to footfall it took way longer to do than usual, and so it would be better done on an empty course. I am fine with that.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't do hollow coring at my place. Lots of solid tyning with sand and overseeding over the year. Some slitting as well.
None of this causes much disruption to play or ball roll.

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What did they do, doing the two week period ? :confused:
The course staff spend the first part of the day brewing tee talking about reasons why golfers should not be allowed on golf courses because they damage the course and get in their way. Then they decide that they haven't got the machinery to do the job that needs doing. Then they all walk out to the job of the day and whilst one man does it the others supervise (stand round him chatting).

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Most courses do their maintenance in August now, some even July, and some September, as they have been caught out by the weather over the last decade when September and October have seen downpours. When you then put heavy machinery onto the wet ground, it can churn the ground up no end.

You generally see the benefits over the winter and not necessarily over the next 2-3 weeks, especially if they hollow tine.

They may also do it in August as 1/3rd of the members may be on holidays.

However, we hollow tine around then normally, but don't shut the course.

If you have reciprocals, maybe ask your secretary if they can beef them up, extend the number of courses on the list or even see if they can agree a good rate with a few local courses who arent doing their maintenance then.

Which course are you at, or if you dont want to say, which general area?

Love the tache, BTW.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The course staff spend the first part of the day brewing tee talking about reasons why golfers should not be allowed on golf courses because they damage the course and get in their way. Then they decide that they haven't got the machinery to do the job that needs doing. Then they all walk out to the job of the day and whilst one man does it the others supervise (stand round him chatting).
Hmmm. Methinks that either you're at a pretty rubbish course , or you have a rather jaundiced view of the greens staff? Care to enlighten us?