Course advice for beginners

Redrum1977

Visit site
Hiya. I'm looking to get back into golf again after several years away from the course having moved around quite a lot. Finally getting settled from February and looking for a decent course that's good for beginners/returners in the Woking/Farnham area. Any recommendations?? Best

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Plenty of choice in that area!
Hoebridge is definitely a candidate, as is Silvermere.
Once committed to returning, there's plenty of clubs across the range of quality and (relative) cost.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
I live in the Woking area and (re)started this year after a very long break. It will depend what you want to prioritise but I circled in on the following courses:

Silvermere/Hoe Bridge - P&P courses with big driving ranges, practice areas, choice of coaches, etc. Not sure there would be much of a 'member' feel to it?
West Byfleet - Traditional members club, was my first choice based on location but there's a long wait list and a joining fee
Pyrford - Where I've joined (therefore biased). Flexible membership option was a big draw for me, practice facilities are 'ok' (driving range is up to 185yds only) but there is a bit of a member community. Is a busy course!

Foxhills/Woking/West Hill/Worplesdon - All ruled out on account of unlikely to have accepted me and/or cost

Happy to have a chat in more detail and/or go for a round when you get back into it!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played Pine Ridge (Camberley) in summer this year, and though it was a bit rough and bare patches round the edges I did rather enjoy it. I have no idea how it compares with other equivalent courses in the area, or with those already mentioned.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This made me look on the the maps first and I see 2 of the places I use to play at have now gone, Goal Farm and one on the Chobham Road which is now Gordons Town sports facility.

I used to Play Hoe Bridge regularly but it was always very busy and slow at weekends even 35 years ago
Downshire at Wokingham/ Bracknell
Silvermere

I have heard good things about Sutton Green

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
This made me look on the the maps first and I see 2 of the places I use to play at have now gone, Goal Farm and one on the Chobham Road which is now Gordons Town sports facility.

I used to Play Hoe Bridge regularly but it was always very busy and slow at weekends even 35 years ago
Downshire at Wokingham/ Bracknell
Silvermere

I have heard good things about Sutton Green

Apparently shortly to be no more; sold & PP in place for a retirement village, my two friends who are members are exploring their options... :(

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Sutton Green GC didn't exist when I lived near there. Silvermere was a 6 hour round a few times in the 80s!

I'm feeling quite nostalgic for a revisit of some of these courses.

Hoebridge par 3 was the first shot I ever hit on a golf course. Watched Seve win at St Andrews and thought, I fancy a try of that game!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Played Pine Ridge (Camberley) in summer this year, and though it was a bit rough and bare patches round the edges I did rather enjoy it. I have no idea how it compares with other equivalent courses in the area, or with those already mentioned.
If folk think Hoebridge (can be) and Silvermere (I agree) are 'slow round' courses, Pine Ridge is, or at least was, exponentially worse!
@IanM Hoebridge Par 3 was my first shot (Adult/in UK) too.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pyrford - Where I've joined (therefore biased). Flexible membership option was a big draw for me, practice facilities are 'ok' (driving range is up to 185yds only) but there is a bit of a member community. Is a busy course!
There's Pyrford and Pyrford Lakes that appear to be different courses. Pretty certain, PL was renamed from something else, but I've forgotten what from. Can you remind me? Which one are you with? All 'net inquiries only seem to bring up details of Pyrford Lakes.

There's (or at least, was) another course in the same area Twisted Stone too. Used to be called Traditions. That used to get particularly soggy as on the same 'flood plane' but didn't/doesn't have the same area of lakes etc for drainge.

Last edited:

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
There's Pyrford and Pyrford Lakes that appear to be different courses. Pretty certain, PL was renamed from something else, but I've forgotten what from. Can you remind me? Which one are you with? All 'net inquiries only seem to bring up details of Pyrford Lakes.

There's (or at least, was) another course in the same area Twisted Stone too. Used to be called Traditions. That used to get particularly soggy as on the same 'flood plane' but didn't/doesn't have the same area of lakes etc for drainge.

I'm a member at Pyrford Lakes and I *think* Pyrford and Pyrford Lakes are one and the same, with the renaming from Pyrford to Pyrford Lakes being relatively recent since Get Golfing bought the club last year. There's a huge amount of investment/work going on, not before time as apparently it was in dire condition until the takeover.

Traditions/Twisted Stone is now a 9-hole Par 3 course, have sold off some of the land unfortunately. I've never been there but you're right it wouldn't surprise me if it got very wet!