Count Back.....

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
How exactly does this work?

Played in our club Stableford at the weekend. Popped into the clubhouse today to see if the results were up.

Turns out I finished 2nd with 40 points. As a result I've received a handicap cut of 1.2 strokes (new H/C 22.4).

As it happens, the chap who won also scored 40 points (off a 28 handicap) and won on count back.

Could someone enlighten me as to what this is and how it works?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
In the event of a tied result, "countback" is used to find a winner.
If one of the two players has had a better back 9, they will be deemed the winner.
If both players scored the same amount of points on the back 9, the winner will be decided by the best score over the closing 6 holes. If these are tied, it will then go to the best score over the closing 3 holes.
It may sound unfair, but rightly or wrongly the winner is considered to be the one who finished the stronger.
;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for that Smiffy.

Was just curious to know what it was. I don't consider it unfair, after all, theres got to be a way to decide a winner.

I'm more interested in getting my handicap down at the minute.

Jaymosafehands

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got done by the dreaded count back yesterday, shot a net 69 and finished 3rd, even though I was effectively 3 under against my handicap for the back 9. a damn 7 on a par 3 killed me (don't ask...)

You win some you lose some!

At least I got a cut to 17.9, below 18 for the first time. :)