Could the new WHS combat bandits

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As I see it, our handicaps are no longer going to go up by 0.1 should we not play in the old bz. Furthermore they could change a fair bit in dropping. 99.9% of golfers will probably welcome that. But it keeps rearing its head re bandits. Will the new WHS help to combat bandits or is it the same old same old.

D

Deleted member 3432

As I see it, our handicaps are no longer going to go up by 0.1 should we not play in the old bz. Furthermore they could change a fair bit in dropping. 99.9% of golfers will probably welcome that. But it keeps rearing its head re bandits. Will the new WHS help to combat bandits or is it the same old same old.
Probably encourage those so inclined to try it on even more.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Am I right in that there is no necessity to put "X" number of cards in each year now?
Someone with a fairly high number could play lots of times, get better and then clean up in a comp without putting any of those cards in.
Although conditions of the comp could read that a certain number of cards need to have been submitted but they won't all.
Plus, very easy to put several supplementarys in, play poorly on purpose and watch that index rise.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
It ought to be responsive going up or down - make if that what you will...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you're so inclined, the impact of bad scores can dramatically increase your handicap much more quickly.

Personally (from my own experience) I do not see that. If you have 20 in it still takes along time to go up by a noticeable amount.

This year 15 of my scores have been really poor but my index has only increased by 1.4 shots.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Personally (from my own experience) I do not see that. If you have 20 in it still takes along time to go up by a noticeable amount.

This year 15 of my scores have been really poor but my index has only increased by 1.4 shots.
Could that be, simply, that you're not trying to go up?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If a scratch player put 20 cards in and shot 100 for whatever reason .
1 what would he be off?
2 Is there a “safety net” to stop this happening.
Extreme example but it’s possible ,injury illness etc.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Unfortunately this thread is going as I thought ☹️ In the sense that as much as 99.9% of us are trying to get our heads around the new system. Others are trying to work out how the new system aids there banditry.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If a scratch player put 20 cards in and shot 100 for whatever reason .
1 what would he be off?
2 Is there a “safety net” to stop this happening.
Extreme example but it’s possible ,injury illness etc.[/QUOTE

As per Imurg

Soft and hard caps stop a player rising to quickly

A maximum of 5 shots within a rolling 365 day period and it works in such a way the rise cannot happen quickly. Once the cap is triggered all rises are halved by the amount they would have been otherwise.

Cap
The procedure that reduces or limits the amount by which a player’s Handicap
Index can increase when measured against the player’s Low Handicap Index. There
are two trigger points within the cap procedure:
l Soft cap – the point after which there is a reduction in the rate of upward
movement of a Handicap Index.
l Hard cap – the point which sets the maximum limit for the upward movement
of a Handicap Index.

e.g with my own current 9.8 my current low index is 8 so I could not quickly go up to beyond 13.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes that makes sense.
Does that go from your Congu cap.
But we have a few players that have gone from 19.5 to 34 was the biggest.
He only had four cards in but that’s a big jump.

Last edited: