Could the new WHS combat bandits

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think that once up and running WHS will lead to demise of open pairs competitions. Low to mid handicappers will in my opinion, soon get fed up of trying to complete with "players" who receive 2 shots on the majority of holes.
There may be a case for 2 or more divisions in such competition but this of course would necessitate the reduction of the value of prizes which in itself may discourage the pot hunters.
On another note, most of the "board competitions" at my club have a maximum handicap for entry purposes. I can see this being a more common solution as handicaps creep up towards the 54 mark for some players.
I know that handicaps are there to level the playing field but from experience, it is extremely difficult to complete with someone who gets a ton of shots, especially in Stableford competitions.

One of the good things about the WHS though is that allowance has been reduced to 85% for 4BBB.

Clubs are recommended to use H.I. as the basis for handicap limits

With our club open we have a limit to shots received but no limit to handicap entry. 2 shots only on the 4/6 hardest holes depending on what we agree for next year.

When we had a limit to handicaps for entry (introduced when handicaps went up to 54) we saw a 30% drop off in entry but entries came back when we went back to restricting shots allowed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things we do for our opens is have a prize list for visitors and a prize list for members.

I have been to other clubs who do not not do this and virtually every prize has been one by their members who clearly have an advantage.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's to stop Opens from having non value prizes, l.e. Cups and shields?
Pros play for money and prizes of intrinsic value.
Why don't amateurs play only for the glory?
I know it's "business ", but maybe enough would play for the value -day -out, if the prize hunters stayed at home.
Great shout .
That is exactly what needs to happen.
Reduce the prize an am can win to £25. That will make it better.
Let the scratch guys win a bit more to cover expenses, but any Handicap event £25.00 max.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A potential issue with playing for a cup or shield, especially if it's the same one every year, is getting it back from last year's winner..

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things we do for our opens is have a prize list for visitors and a prize list for members.

I have been to other clubs who do not not do this and virtually every prize has been one by their members who clearly have an advantage.
Agree visitors should be winning something.
But our members have a big advantage .
But we don’t have a prize for visitors ,don’t know why.
But we should.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think that once up and running WHS will lead to demise of open pairs competitions. Low to mid handicappers will in my opinion, soon get fed up of trying to complete with "players" who receive 2 shots on the majority of holes.
There may be a case for 2 or more divisions in such competition but this of course would necessitate the reduction of the value of prizes which in itself may discourage the pot hunters.
On another note, most of the "board competitions" at my club have a maximum handicap for entry purposes. I can see this being a more common solution as handicaps creep up towards the 54 mark for some players.
I know that handicaps are there to level the playing field but from experience, it is extremely difficult to complete with someone who gets a ton of shots, especially in Stableford competitions.

Earlier this season I played a round with a PP off the whites. He played off 10 I think it was and went round in 45 points. He is on our hall of fame for the highest score off the white pots. Whilst looking at the scores I noticed the highest score on our yellow pots was 56 points. However that was not the highest points scored that day. A lady on the reds shot 57 ? suffice to say both received a fair old cut.
I have a feeling there’s gonna be some high questionable scoring next year. Although some of the scores will be genuine scores, I just feel the new system will allow for such scores.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Earlier this season I played a round with a PP off the whites. He played off 10 I think it was and went round in 45 points. He is on our hall of fame for the highest score off the white pots. Whilst looking at the scores I noticed the highest score on our yellow pots was 56 points. However that was not the highest points scored that day. A lady on the reds shot 57 ? suffice to say both received a fair old cut.
I have a feeling there’s gonna be some high questionable scoring next year. Although some of the scores will be genuine scores, I just feel the new system will allow for such scores.
I would need to shoot 15 under gross to tie. Or 16 under for the win let’s be positive.
This is going to put lots of people off imo.
They will not enter the comps and just play with their mates and just put their card in for handicap.
Just can’t compete with stupid scores.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I would need to shoot 15 under gross to tie. Or 16 under for the win let’s be positive.
This is going to put lots of people off imo.
They will not enter the comps and just play with their mates and just put their card in for handicap.
Just can’t compete with stupid scores.

ITs not WHS related, but more and more fuddles are springing up at our place. will be interesting next year.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree with not competing with those crazy scores and there is a fear at the back of my mind that once people get a grip on how their handicaps work they'll find a way to manipulate an increase in time for major events IF they are serious pot hunters. They are out there sadly and with the best will in the world its hard to catch up with all of them

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My personal record in a comp is 45 points off a 6 handicap my second best was a 44 of same but was only good enough for second place beaten by a 45 from a 3 handicapper mind you I play the sort of course where 40+ points as a winning score is quite common. Pre WHS 38 was playing to handicap.