Could the new WHS combat bandits

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I don't think a casual word with the pro cuts it. There has to be a formal system for pre-registering in the same way as there had to be for Supplementaries. The system is necessary so that a card is submitted and accounted for if the round has been pre-registered. The scorecard must also be verified by "a person acceptable to the committee" - in most cases meaning another member with a handicap.

I'll ask our Pro about the process for this when I am there on Saturday. No mention of it has been made in the missives from the club about WHS. I suspect the answer will be, don't worry about it till next March when qualifiers resume!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I don't think a casual word with the pro cuts it. There has to be a formal system for pre-registering in the same way as there had to be for Supplementaries. The system is necessary so that a card is submitted and accounted for if the round has been pre-registered. The scorecard must also be verified by "a person acceptable to the committee" - in most cases meaning another member with a handicap.

I was thinking that I could go on Hdido ,before playing a round with a mate who is a fellow member , and register that I am going to submit a score?.
Is that possible?
I would be trying to get a realistic assessment of how I'm playing , as I've explained.
I can see however that if people can go up and down so fast as they can now , that it is open to abuse?
Subject to it not having been tried and tested yet, I still think there wasn't a lot wrong with what we had before?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I was thinking that I could go on Hdido ,before playing a round with a mate who is a fellow member , and register that I am going to submit a score?.
Is that possible?
I would be trying to get a realistic assessment of how I'm playing , as I've explained.
I can see however that if people can go up and down so fast as they can now , that it is open to abuse?
Subject to it not having been tried and tested yet, I still think there wasn't a lot wrong with what we had before?
We can sign in using the HDIDO app, input scores on the app at the end, post card in the box.
When we first got back to playing we had to email a photo of the card but now we can post them.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Been thinking through how I might work out what I have to do in the round I am about to play if I have a 'major' comp coming up next round, and I want my HI to go up so my CH goes up for the comp. And to be honest - even if I can work out how to work it out...I just can't see myself being bothered - and surely that - if nothing else - is a suitable deterrent/obstacle for handicap manipulation.

Your index will ONLY go up if you shoot a bad round IF one of your current best 8 scores is the 20th oldest and will drop off your record the next time you play.

People will actively need to plan their future scores under the new system to generate a cut an increase....it wont be a simple case of "shooting a bad round will get me a 0.1 increase which will take me from x.4 to x.5 and get me an extra shot". As you say...only the truly committed will take matters to such a level.

Edited to actually make some semblance of sense!!! :LOL:

Last edited:
Visit site
Your index will ONLY go up if you shoot a bad round IF one of your current best 8 scores is the 20th oldest and will drop off your record the next time you play.

People will actively need to plan their future scores under the new system to generate a cut....it wont be a simple case of "shooting a bad round will get me a 0.1 increase which will take me from x.4 to x.5 and get me an extra shot". As you say...only the truly committed will take matters to such a level.

I don't believe what I have just read! How on earth do you "plan your future scores under the new system to generate a cut"????
Not even Tiger can "plan his future scores". He'll do better than me, but the best laid plans of mice and men etc etc, mean that things go wrong.
You then go from using the word "cut", to the word "increase", and "extra shot".
Which way were you "planning" to go nickjdavis?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
1. One of the main benefits of the WHS is the pace of reaction; if you're getting worse, your handicap will reflect it more quickly than it ever did under the old system.
2. One of the main problems of the WHS is the pace of reaction; if you want to manipulate your handicap, the changes will be reflected more quickly than the old system.

I'm not sure how you would fix #2 without losing the benefit of #1. Handicap cheats are cheats, pure and simple. If they want to cheat, they will find a way to do it under any system.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could I play rounds socially with a mate and submit cards that whs would use
to adjust my handicap?
Advice appreciated, thanks

Yes you can but you have to preregister your intention and the score must be submitted good or bad. Cards are normally done on a stableford basis and you only need to do it against your Course Handicap.

The method of preregistering will vary club to club so check with you manager or pro shop.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now I appear to need the mathematical brain of an Einstein, and in addition, I have heard so many stories (on this forum) where the players' handicap has changed significantly.
Bring back Congu, and its .1 and buffer zones etc etc!

A mathematical brain of Einstein to do primary school arithmetic!!!:unsure:

Handicaps may change significantly at the outset but in the long run this will stop happening.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll ask our Pro about the process for this when I am there on Saturday. No mention of it has been made in the missives from the club about WHS. I suspect the answer will be, don't worry about it till next March when qualifiers resume!

I see what you did there !!!!! LOL

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't believe what I have just read! How on earth do you "plan your future scores under the new system to generate a cut"????
Not even Tiger can "plan his future scores". He'll do better than me, but the best laid plans of mice and men etc etc, mean that things go wrong.
You then go from using the word "cut", to the word "increase", and "extra shot".
Which way were you "planning" to go nickjdavis?

sorry...I meant plan to put in poor scores to generate a handicap increase not a cut!!!!! Post has been edited accordingly.

sunshine

Visit site
sorry...I meant plan to put in poor scores to generate a handicap increase not a cut!!!!! Post has been edited accordingly.

Per the other thread, all you have to do is NR your round and it will count as a net double bogey on each hole. Build up a collection of NR's and watch your handicap soar!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

People will actively need to plan their future scores under the new system to generate a cut an increase....it wont be a simple case of "shooting a bad round will get me a 0.1 increase which will take me from x.4 to x.5 and get me an extra shot". As you say...only the truly committed will take matters to such a level.

Edited to actually make some semblance of sense!!! :LOL:
Indeed - but I just couldn't be bothered with all that finagling...

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Per the other thread, all you have to do is NR your round and it will count as a net double bogey on each hole. Build up a collection of NR's and watch your handicap soar!

And any self-respecting Handicap Committee will be able to see what is going on and put a stop to it - well within their powers to refuse to accept cards if that goes on.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
How can they do that?
They would have to accuse the player of cheating.

still trying to get me hard around this new whs scoring system, but as much as it may aid cheats short term, the manipulation of hcaps may well be more obvious ensuing cheats are challenged.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
This thread is a sad reflection on some golfers clubs. I don’t supposed anyone has, in writing, accused any of their club bandits or is this another golfing myths thread.
Am not sure it’s a reflection on clubs, as some have found themselves on sticky wickets when challenging or questioning players handicaps. Anything that helps to combat bandits is fine by me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Am not sure it’s a reflection on clubs, as some have found themselves on sticky wickets when challenging or questioning players handicaps. Anything that helps to combat bandits is fine by me.
Agreed and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out in pairs open events. I've definitely played in some and the winners have clearly had an artificially high handicap to pot hunt. I seem to remember on here someone playing in such an event and the winners admitting "off the record" they simply go from event to event to pick up decent prizes