Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
So we on here are understanding some what should be simple things in the statement differently. 3offtheTee thinks I could go, you don’t - I don’t think I should be able to go - but the PM said I could go to the park and sit on a park bench. Do I have to walk to the park to sit on the bench or can I drive as I can if I am to exercise - and if the park I want to go to to sit on a park bench is 170miles away?

Stern tone; Stern face; Clench fists; Wave hands. Confuse.

I've not seen all the detail but where would it stand against what was an essential journey?

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it’s not about you being able to understand it it’s about the other bellends who haven’t listened to the current advice let alone being told they have more freedom than they thought they did before
Its simple advice.

The majority of the country will understand it.

It's the government's job to look after the country, not each individual.

As an individual, you (or I) are asked to read the advice and act on it.

I don't see it anywhere saying "Stay home as much as possible. And whilst you're at it, whine about what other people might/might not do".

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So we on here are understanding some what should be simple things in the statement differently. 3offtheTee thinks I could go, you don’t - I don’t think I should be able to go - but the PM said I could go to the park and sit on a park bench. Do I have to walk to the park to sit on the bench or can I drive as I can if I am to exercise - and if the park I want to go to to sit on a park bench is 170miles away?

Stern tone; Stern face; Clench fists; Wave hands. Confuse.
To be fair, you know the answer, you have suggested as much. We all really know how the rules or guidelines work, people just look to bend them to suit. If you are stretching something to the nth degree then you know that your interpretation of the rules is questionable. (Please do not take my use of you or your as being directed at you. I am using it in general terms ?)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be fair, you know the answer, you have suggested as much. We all really know how the rules or guidelines work, people just look to bend them to suit. If you are stretching something to the nth degree then you know that your interpretation of the rules is questionable. (Please do not take my use of you or your as being directed at you. I am using it in general terms ?)
The problem is people are and will definitely from this week, bend the rules as much as possible. In the case SILH gives I wouldn't class a 170 mile trip (assume that's 340 miles in both directions) as essential even for a 90th birthday and if the police were to stop him for any reason I would suggest they wouldn't see it as such. Not a pick at SILH and I am certain there are far worse examples out there. The issue as I see it in a very simple basis is the more interaction we have, even at work with PPE or government advice followed (or not) then the R number is going to rise as is happening in Germany and we're either back to a lockdown similar to the one we have (or more severe even) and more hospital admissions and deaths increasing

U

User62651

OK - Boris Johnson is Prime Minister of THE UNITED KINGDOM. So how about the other three areas stop doing their own thing?

Health is a devolved matter to 3 of the UK nations but the 4th England doesn't have devolution from UK so is left feeling a bit aggrieved, I get that.

If it was a defence matter for example which isn't devolved there would be a UK only response.

Devolution (but not for England) is a problem created by New Labour in the 90s and for parity I think England should have devolution too via 3 or 4 regional govt assemblies with devolved powers and therefore reduce UK parliament size and MP numbers right back to only deal with whole UK issues. Federalism.

No way Scotland, Wales, NI are giving up devolved powers without a fight, that ship has sailed, but yes England are not treated fairly in this arrangement at present.

D

Deleted member 1740

Are you suggesting a referendum?

No, this isn’t the time for party politics. Instead unity is strength. Stick together and fight it as one.

Or maybe this is what the conservatives want, using their usual divide and conquer tactics ?‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.