Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also, are the children of those people being "encouraged" to go back to work now considered to be the children of key workers and as a result they can return to schools?

And if an employee is now being "encouraged" to return to work what are their employment rights if they decide that they don't think that it is safe to do so?

Another question that needs answering is with regards to primary schools re-opening. If they are initially planning to reopen with Year 1 & Year 6 children, what happens if a Year 1 child hurts themselves in school? I'm not talking about a serious injury that requires medical attention, but if a 6 year old falls and hurts themselves and is in tears. How is it possible for a teacher to comfort that child while maintaining social distancing?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think sending the very youngest children back to school in June could be a big mistake.
Their favourite pastime is licking each other’s faces , according to my daughter their teacher.
They could bring anything home!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another question that needs answering is with regards to primary schools re-opening. If they are initially planning to reopen with Year 1 & Year 6 children, what happens if a Year 1 child hurts themselves in school? I'm not talking about a serious injury that requires medical attention, but if a 6 year old falls and hurts themselves and is in tears. How is it possible for a teacher to comfort that child while maintaining social distancing?
They can’t.
Just from what I have seen on my wife’s phone teachers are not happy.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That in no way means that anyone should go in tomorrow morning. Not sure how that's confusing.
How can anyone be actively encouraged to return to work the following morning. Surely you can see that's unreasonable, nothing should have been activated for at least a week to give time for preparations. Some people could lose furlough payments if they refuse to return at short notice., there is absolutely no way all employers have been informed of suitable health and safety requirements and had time to enact them.

Last edited:

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
How can anyone be actively encouraged to return to work the following morning. Surely you can see that's unreasonable, nothing should have been activated for at least a week to give time for preparations. Some people could lose furlough payments if they refuse to return at short notice., there is absolutely no way all employers have been informed of suitable health and safety requirements and had time to enact them.

They are being actively encouraged to work from monday. The rest of your post is spot on, which is why its from monday. (y)

Any companies that haven't performed the required H&S and called people in should be named and shamed. And should be legally and financially destroyed if the worst was to happen.

(this is all conjuncture, I haven't seen any emails yet on the twitter-sphere from employers calling in staff Monday morning, as you would expect)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They can’t.
Just from what I have seen on my wife’s phone teachers are not happy.

It doesn't affect me directly, despite the suggestion that Year 6 children will be returning to school (older Colch Jnr is in Year 6 but won't be returning anyway due to Mrs Colch being in an at risk group), but I fully support anyone that says that this isn't a safe thing to do. Taking it to the next level, what happens if a child hurts themselves in school and does require more advanced medical attention than the school is able to provide? Are the teachers expected to step back and not give any support/comfort to the child until an doctor or ambulance arrives? Or to leave the child alone and in pain while they don whatever PPE is deemed appropriate for the situation?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
That in no way means that anyone should go in tomorrow morning. Not sure how that's confusing.

It's people just arguing the toss for the sake of it, trying to pick holes in fresh air.
He could have said today "and all Mancunians get 1 million pounds as a bonus" and some gimp on Facebook would moan about having to be taxed on it.
Apologies if any Mancunians were insulted by this post ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The problem is people are and will definitely from this week, bend the rules as much as possible. In the case SILH gives I wouldn't class a 170 mile trip (assume that's 340 miles in both directions) as essential even for a 90th birthday and if the police were to stop him for any reason I would suggest they wouldn't see it as such. Not a pick at SILH and I am certain there are far worse examples out there. The issue as I see it in a very simple basis is the more interaction we have, even at work with PPE or government advice followed (or not) then the R number is going to rise as is happening in Germany and we're either back to a lockdown similar to the one we have (or more severe even) and more hospital admissions and deaths increasing
I missed him saying ’essential’. I heard him say I could sit in a park and I could drive to get there to exercise. We won’t be going to my MiLs as we don’t think we should go - despite that we’re so disappointed that we can‘t and despite the PMs statement - which we found a bit confusing and with mixed messages.

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was no way he was going to get in to details in 13 minutes. The 50 page document is key. The employer owes it to the employees regards the capability to distance, so wouldn’t be surprised if there had been some contact already. The other thing is the children at home, who will be looking after them? On occasion both parents work.
Anyway let’s see what the 50pages say. Not get too excited until they have been read.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If the 50page document is done and dusted and to be covered in the hoc then fine - but what then was the point of the 13minutes when it could only leave lots of questions unanswered - unless it was a cunning ploy to see how we reacted then adjust the 50pages of detail accordingly. A pity is that some will choose to take the PM to his 13min words, or not be bothered to listen to statements of clarification made in the Commons.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the 50page document is done and dusted and to be covered in the hoc - but what then was the point of the 13minutes when it could only leave lots of questions unanswered - unless it was a cunning ploy to see how we reacted then adjust the 50pages of detail accordingly. A pity is that some will choose to take the PM to his 13min words, or not be bothered to listen to statements of clarification made in the Commons.
Indeed, it was possibly an error in strategy.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It doesn't affect me directly, despite the suggestion that Year 6 children will be returning to school (older Colch Jnr is in Year 6 but won't be returning anyway due to Mrs Colch being in an at risk group), but I fully support anyone that says that this isn't a safe thing to do. Taking it to the next level, what happens if a child hurts themselves in school and does require more advanced medical attention than the school is able to provide? Are the teachers expected to step back and not give any support/comfort to the child until an doctor or ambulance arrives? Or to leave the child alone and in pain while they don whatever PPE is deemed appropriate for the situation?

They will use their common sense and will not leave a child there in distress. Maintaining social distancing will be extremely difficult to maintain in a primary setting and I suspect the government know that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I missed him saying ’essential’. I heard him say I could sit in a park and I could drive to get there to exercise. We won’t be going to my MiLs as we don’t think we should go - despite that we’re so disappointed that we can‘t and despite the PMs statement - which we found a bit confusing and with mixed messages.
Incidentally I heard someone talk last night after the speech and they stated that the advice to the elderly and vulnerable remains the same. At the age mentioned your MiL should still be 'shielded' and so any contact is still to be avoided where possible. I appreciate it is very difficult, I'm guessing she is on her own and that is tough for her, but that should seal the decision if there is still any doubt.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The PM made an error in assuming the adults would be listening.

It was a BRIEFING! The details always follow in a report.

The thrust was obvious that as long as social distancing can be maintained that will be OK, where not protective measures must be in place. If the R rate continues to fall then we move on to the next step. If not then we take a step back.

D

Deleted member 1740

Govt have always maintained that all decisions will be made on the back of the best advice possible.

If he thinks the scientific advice warrants relaxing of the rules then it should be freely available and I'd like to read it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of said info.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can't understand the logic in Reception and Year 1 kids going back first. They are the hardest age groups to get to practice social distancing and also will have plenty time to catch up. It should just have been Year 6 as they need to be made ready for the transition to high school.

Also, if 3 year groups out of 7 are going to go back at the same time, schools will just not have enough room to distance unless they are going back on a part time basis only.

Status
Not open for further replies.