Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
100% agree - my Mrs has just muttered that that was utterly hopeless and very confusing - the main thing she got from it was that he might just as well have said ‘if you want to go out and catch the virus - well on you go - fill your boots...’

Well that is ridiculous, really. Next he will be accused of not treating people as adults.
If your work can be achieved honouring SD then you can go. Liaison with employer and make agreement. If a self employed one man band, then weigh up the pros and cons and decide.
If you don't want to go, then stay as you are
I know how I will ensure my SD and what I can do to maintain it.
You have considered doing the same re your mum and son, and but for distance of drive you would have gone to see them, using your common sense to maintain SD.?
Where has he made such a big error?

PaulS

Visit site
Well that is ridiculous, really. Next he will be accused of not treating people as adults.
If your work can be achieved honouring SD then you can go. Liaison with employer and make agreement. If a self employed one man band, then weigh up the pros and cons and decide.
If you don't want to go, then stay as you are
Seems simple enough to me

I reckon you must be in a very small minority who see the message put out tonight as simple enough

It was a complete mess and embarrassing- zero clear direction with so many open questions. It’s just another symbol of the weak leadership we have seen in the UK from our government

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I reckon you must be in a very small minority who see the message put out tonight as simple enough

It was a complete mess and embarrassing- zero clear direction with so many open questions. It’s just another symbol of the weak leadership we have seen in the UK from our government

So what are you confused about exactly. What is it that you are not sure what you are being advised to do or not do.
Don't just say it's embarrassing etc, say why.
Bearing in mind details are to follow in HoC.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I think you're splitting hairs there. Imo it shouldve been right we propose x,y and z then they voted on the course of Action and ran with it as a whole nation.

This course of action will just divide us.

If we are a whole nation Stu, then the political leader of the whole nation, the United Kingdom, makes the announcement. Then any changes from that are announced by the political leaders of the countries who are moving away from the advice that the whole nation is otherwise following. Anything else is the tail wagging the dog for me, and the actions of any other leaders in pre-empting his announcement are the actions I find divisive..

It would be nice if, given the circumstances, they could all act like grown ups and play nicely, but unfortunately it appears that they can't, or won't, for reasons that we can only speculate on.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So what are you confused about exactly. What is it that you are not sure what you are being advised to do or not do.
Don't just say it's embarrassing etc, say why.
Bearing in mind details are to follow in HoC.
Who should get up tomorrow morning and go to work, bearing in mind Boris said they are talking to employeers on safe working practices, does this mean these practices are not agreed so not in place. Starmer is correct that giving people 12 hours notice is ridiculous. If someone thinks it's not safe to go in or cant use public transport does it mean their Furlough payments will be withdrawn.
It takes a lot for me to lose support for the government but what happened today is embarrassing and amatuerish.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who should get up tomorrow morning and go to work, bearing in mind Boris said they are talking to employeers on safe working practices, does this mean these practices are not agreed so not in place. Starmer is correct that giving people 12 hours notice is ridiculous. If someone thinks it's not safe to go in or cant use public transport does it mean their Furlough payments will be withdrawn.
It takes a lot for me to lose support for the government but what happened today is embarrassing and amatuerish.

Also, are the children of those people being "encouraged" to go back to work now considered to be the children of key workers and as a result they can return to schools?

And if an employee is now being "encouraged" to return to work what are their employment rights if they decide that they don't think that it is safe to do so?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are clearly going to continue to go round and round in circles, which is all rather pointless.

But I would be curious to know if you were doing your best Marty Feldman impression as you typed your last offering. Having one eye on the window and one on your screen is the only way you can tell me for certain who walked or drove by at the crucial moment.

It might just have been the local plod ?.

Think I’ll give this discussion a miss from this point on. It’s unfair on others if it was to be closed because of our polar opposite views.
Fair enough!
But couldn’t resist Having a last little dig could you.
It was a dog walker for your curiosity.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He's opened the door for people to go back to work, if they can't work from home, where safe.

Employers will be able to have conversations about such from tomorrow.

He hasn't ordered people back to work, first thing in the morning, irrespective of conversing with their employer.

Starmer saying as much was pathetic, repeating it even more so.

D

Deleted member 1740

Also, are the children of those people being "encouraged" to go back to work now considered to be the children of key workers and as a result they can return to schools?

And if an employee is now being "encouraged" to return to work what are their employment rights if they decide that they don't think that it is safe to do so?

It seems to be most low paid and low skilled workers are being pushed back to work, leaving it in the employers hands to sort out. Most employers only care about the money. H&S is an issue when it suits.

I've worked on many a building sites over the years and it's almost impossible to work 2mtrs apart. At times you're working on floors in rooms as other tradesmen.

D

Deleted member 1740

If we are a whole nation Stu, then the political leader of the whole nation, the United Kingdom, makes the announcement. Then any changes from that are announced by the political leaders of the countries who are moving away from the advice that the whole nation is otherwise following. Anything else is the tail wagging the dog for me, and the actions of any other leaders in pre-empting his announcement are the actions I find divisive..

It would be nice if, given the circumstances, they could all act like grown ups and play nicely, but unfortunately it appears that they can't, or won't, for reasons that we can only speculate on.

Well Ms Sturgeon was very clear as to why the stay at home message isnt changing.

As opposed to the bumbling fool who wasted 20mins to basically say we'll tell you tomorrow. All well and good encouraging people back to work but its got to be safe for everyone involved, not the few.

We'll have to take a half on this I think ?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

"To ensure you are safe at work we have been working to establish new guidance for employers to make workplaces Covid-secure" - Do you think those in charge will have had time to implement the guidance over night?

No one says you should get up and go to work tomorrow? Unless your employer has emailed you already, It's their call, not the government. If they haven't implemented the protocols, they should be named and shamed. Remember people have been working since the beginning of all this.

U

User62651

If it was just 1 of the 3 smaller nations rejecting No10 ;then you could have a point about mischief making but when all 3 reject it, each with separate CMOs and independent scientific advisors, then that looks based solely on health judgement. BJ didn't consult in advance with other nations, lied about that.
Health is a devolved issue, why is that hard to grasp, so each nation can do what it sees fit, Boris is the one making the changes for England, not the 3 devolved govts, they have stuck firmly to No 10s original lockdown rules for the past 7 weeks, no boat rocked there, and wish to stick with that stay home message for longer. Lives are at stake and leaders carry that heavy burden, use of the word catastrophic would not be said lightly.
It is confusing people, perhaps some clarity will come tomorrow in Commons which begs the question why not wait until Monday to do the TV message, once MPs had asked PM some questions first? Boris ignoring parliament again?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
"To ensure you are safe at work we have been working to establish new guidance for employers to make workplaces Covid-secure" - Do you think those in charge will have had time to implement the guidance over night?

No one says you should get up and go to work tomorrow? Unless your employer has emailed you already, It's their call, not the government. If they haven't implemented the protocols, they should be named and shamed. Remember people have been working since the beginning of all this.
"Boris Johnson has said people who cannot work from home, such as those in construction or manufacturing, should be “actively encouraged” to return to work from Monday"

Do you not find that statement vague, we are talking about 12 hours notice and before the details of it have been released. What do you fail to understand about actively encouraged to return to work from Monday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.