Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The official government figures show it. The image below is as of 9am this morning......

View attachment 30402

EDIT - I assume that it was this bit that you were referring to rather than the original Downing Street statement?
No. Already got that (or equivalent) I was after the originai Downing street one.

Oh, FWIW, those numbers suggest that there WERE > 100k 'tests' on 1st May!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Do we have Covid test season ticket holders :unsure: My anology was fine. You can make testing facilities available but you can't guarantee people will take up the offer. It has been reported some testing stations were underused.
You can sell the tickets but you can’t claim an attendance based on ticket sales...your attendance is the number of people through the turnstile irrespective of tickets sold.?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm happy that 'tests' meant any repeat ones that may have been required. But that wasn't the case! He specifically mentioned 'capability', for the first time that I know of, when claiming success! A cop-out, imo, that might have even involved sinister witholding of tests earlier in the month! Seems simply too much of a coincidence that it was (only) on 'target day' that the figure was achieved - and with a significant jump from those of previous day's!

Great achievement all the same!
It is - but my suspicious mind suggested that it was a little handy that in the last few days leading to the end of the month that the government was able to open up testing to a much wider sector of the population and accept online requests for tests. Could that in any way be linked to a realisation that the 100,000 wasn’t going to be hit?

See how easy it is for those wary of accepting without question everything the government says or does to have their suspicions at least partly confirmed? This is why the government has to be, as Johnson promised only days ago, clear, open and honest about everything they are doing. It is a great pity and disappointing that in his first week back we have this totally unnecessary controversy.

Anyway - The most important thing is now to get our trace capability matched to and aligned with this testing capability.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I see the British multi-millionaire Monaco resident head of Jota Airways is planning a crowd funding case against the Government for imposing the so called 'lock down' as it is against the human rights.

If the Supreme Court throws it out, will he go the ECJ.. would be ironic if ECJ forces the UK govt to open

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another good move by the Government today with the funding to help domestic abuse victims, I also see they now will make a payment of £60k to the families of NHS staff that die through Covid.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
U

User62651

Another good move by the Government today with the funding to help domestic abuse victims, I also see they now will make a payment of £60k to the families of NHS staff that die through Covid.

Wondering if there is there an existing death in service (at work) amount that NHS pay employees anyway and the Govt £60k would be extra on top of that? I hope so. If not, £60k for someone losing their life at work doing a normally low risk job seems way too low. I would not be at all surprised to see lawsuits coming from NHS staff families or care home victim families in time, claiming for employer/Govt negligence wrt the possible lack of PPE/testing, looking for an awful lot more than £60k. Would be very hard to disprove that in court I think.

The domestic abuse fund is good news.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Wondering if there is there an existing death in service (at work) amount that NHS pay employees anyway and the Govt £60k would be extra on top of that? I hope so. If not, £60k for someone losing their life at work doing a normally low risk job seems way too low. I would not be at all surprised to see lawsuits coming from NHS staff families or care home victim families in time, claiming for employer/Govt negligence wrt the possible lack of PPE/testing, looking for an awful lot more than £60k. Would be very hard to disprove that in court I think.

There is a death in service payment or at least there used to be. It has been a while since I looked but the last time I checked it was something like twice your annual salary.

Really should regularly check my pension and all that as it's all tied in together.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

There is a death in service benefit but I'm not sure what it is for different members of staff, depending on when they joined the NHS. Backtracking a little, the "gold-plated" index linked pension scheme that was in place when I joined the NHS was deemed too expensive and 'downgraded,' twice. Good old Tony Blair, again.

Whatever scheme was in place when you joined the NHS was the one you stayed on.

Death in Service benefit was a lump sum, 2x final salary, and 50% of full pension. The assumption is the person would have worked for the NHS till normal retirement, hence the full pension.

Talking to current NHS staff the £60k is on top of the DiS scheme in place. A rough figure for an ITU Sister would be £77k + £60k(Covid) + £9k pension. There's also a tax break on that which is in place for 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.