Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I see the latest Survation 'trust on Covid info provided' survey has the following.

NHS...81%
Scottish Government...71%
The Organisation I work for.....59%
A few others until you reach UK Government 54%
Quite a lot more until you reach the Daily Express at 17%.

46% of the folk surveyed do not trust the information coming out of the UK government. Not great.
83% do not trust the Daily Express........surprised it was that high, considering that you have to buy it to understand how bad it is.:unsure:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see the latest Survation 'trust on Covid info provided' survey has the following.

NHS...81%

46% of the folk surveyed do not trust the information coming out of the UK government. Not great.
83% do not trust the Daily Express........surprised it was that high, considering that you have to buy it to understand how bad it is.:unsure:
Link

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you not see the irony of requesting 'crowd funding' for only £125k while also being a tax exile.

I have no axe to grind on his wealth.
Does he want to sue the UK govt or the French? Seems odd to be suing our govt when he is living under French rule. I don't miss the arrogance of this either way incidentally.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Now you are making things up. If you want to be “quite clear” enter Matt Hancock 100,000 into the search bar in YouTube. You will hear him say that the target is 100,000 but he doesn’t say “tested” or “capability.” And that is his only wriggle room.

Personally, I took it to mean tested but that’s not what was said.

It was fairly clear, as we went through April that 100,000 tested wasn’t going to be met. The capacity was there by late April but how many times did the news programmes show empty test centres? You can’t blame the govt if people are too lazy to travel to a test centre.
This vid
At a few seconds before 15:00 he states that 'the new goal is 100000 tests per day' - capability is not mentioned, just like it wasn't mentioned in earlier statements of 'tests' either. No wiggle room imo!

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

NHS...81%

interesting that the Guardian is the most trusted newspaper and the Sun is the least trusted.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like the football stadium analogy, but an improvement on it might be when a football match is reported as being sold out and the attendance is announced as the stadium capacity. When someone points out that there were loads of empty seats we discover the ’attendance’ included every season ticket holder - whether they had turned up or not. ?
Do we have Covid test season ticket holders :unsure: My anology was fine. You can make testing facilities available but you can't guarantee people will take up the offer. It has been reported some testing stations were underused.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Do we have Covid test season ticket holders :unsure: My anology was fine. You can make testing facilities available but you can't guarantee people will take up the offer. It has been reported some testing stations were underused.

people can't "take up the offer" if the 'offer" (or testing kit) is still in the post, can they?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This vid
At a few seconds before 15:00 he states that 'the new goal is 100000 tests per day' - capability is not mentioned, just like it wasn't mentioned in earlier statements of 'tests' either. No wiggle room imo!

Which is still different from the original Downing Street statement of "100000 people tested per day". The 100k tests could be on only 65k people due to retests.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
are you suggesting 35,000 people were tested twice on the same day?

Probably not actually that high, that was a bit of exaggeration on my part. I can't find the charts that were being shown but they were showing that even when the total testing figure was around 20k that only equated to around 16k people actually having the test. The total number of tests conducted is always higher than the total number of people tested due to inconclusive results meaning another test is done.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Probably not actually that high, that was a bit of exaggeration on my part. I can't find the charts that were being shown but they were showing that even when the total testing figure was around 20k that only equated to around 16k people actually having the test. The total number of tests conducted is always higher than the total number of people tested due to inconclusive results meaning another test is done.

I'm happy that 'tests' meant any repeat ones that may have been required. But that wasn't the case! He specifically mentioned 'capability', for the first time that I know of, when claiming success! A cop-out, imo, that might have even involved sinister witholding of tests earlier in the month! Seems simply too much of a coincidence that it was (only) on 'target day' that the figure was achieved - and with a significant jump from those of previous day's!

Great achievement all the same!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm happy that 'tests' meant any repeat ones that may have been required. But that wasn't the case! He specifically mentioned 'capability', for the first time that I know of, when claiming success! A cop-out, imo, that might have even involved sinister witholding of tests earlier in the month! Seems simply too much of a coincidence that it was (only) on 'target day' that the figure was achieved - and with a significant jump from those of previous day's!

Great achievement all the same!

I agree with most of what you wrote. The original government tweet was 100k people tested per day. Hancock's original statement from 3rd April was that by the end of the month they would be carrying out 100k tests per day. It's only recently that capacity or capability have been introduced. I'm not sure that I see anything "sinister" in it or that they were withholding tests. I think they have just ramped up the amount of tests available and the number of people eligible. But it's a massive cop out to include testing kits that had been posted out but not yet returned.

As you, and almost everyone else, said if they had been honest and said "We've physically carried out 80k tests today. On top of that we've sent out 20k tests in the post to individuals and a further 20k tests to new testing stations" that would probably have been accepted as a great achievemnet and the end of the discussion and we'd all be talking about something else by now.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got a link that confirms that? That WOULD be damning!

The official government figures show it. The image below is as of 9am this morning......

CovidDailyUpdate.jpg

EDIT - I assume that it was this bit that you were referring to rather than the original Downing Street statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.