Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t disagree with this, except where it singles out the Tories. I strongly suspect that a Labour government would’ve done the same thing. I can state, hand on heart, that I’d still have disagreed with it.
The utter tribalism of modern politics is a scourge of society, and even a cursory look at this thread shows just how prevalent it is.

this whole discussion should’ve been over in 20 minutes. Everyone would agree that the significant rise in testing was impressive. Everyone would agree that the subsequent spin on the numbers was unnecessary and unimpressive. Everyone would move on.

That is what makes me sad. The world is a mad place and sometimes I just want to get off.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whatever the whys and wherefores in this whole thing a statement this morning summed it up "a test isn't a test until it's in a Lab". Which reminded me of this (to lighten the mood). I think the government need to be brave and provide stats based upon facts and not to avoid criticism. To make clear targets and accept they won't always be met - no harm in aiming high. That won't happen though as politics is messed up.

kug90o5h27w41.jpg

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I see the British multi-millionaire Monaco resident head of Jota Airways is planning a crowd funding case against the Government for imposing the so called 'lock down' as it is against the human rights.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I see the British multi-millionaire Monaco resident head of Jota Airways is planning a crowd funding case against the Government for imposing the so called 'lock down' as it is against the human rights.

The two main opposition parties here in Spain, one being part of the coalition govt, have threatened the same if Sánchez doesn’t bend more with the unlockdown.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As I listened to the numbers, but haven't rechecked, even if you take away the posted tests, it was still a huge ramp up of test on the day.
And it's quite possible that 'huge ramp up... on one day' was actually 'managed' by holding back tests from previous days/weeks! I'm not saying that's what has happened, but, given the blatant spin in the announcement, it's certainly a possibility - or, God forbid, quite likely! I'd be interested to see the figures for tests 'made available' for today thru Tuesday to see whether the figures reduce significantly (discounting weekend reporting effects)!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd bet he votes Conservative (certainly not Labour) though, so surely that should make you a fan!

I have no problem with folk who see an opportunity and take a risk to create jobs and wealth - both for themself and their partners/employees. Their tax status is a matter between them and the UK Government.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd bet he votes Conservative (certainly not Labour) though, so surely that should make you a fan!

I have no problem with folk who see an opportunity and take a risk to create jobs and wealth - both for themself and their partners/employees. Their tax status is a matter between them and the UK Government.

Do you not see the irony of requesting 'crowd funding' for only £125k while also being a tax exile.

I have no axe to grind on his wealth.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And if the politician had answered you'd be the first to ask why the scientist didn't have an input considering it's the scientist who would be carrying out the results and compiling the numbers ??‍♂️
I’d have thought the final two words of my post made it a little obvious that I wasn’t being 100% serious...but no matter. That does not take from the fact that it would have been easy enough for Hancock to have told us 80,000 tests and 40,000 requested - and if 80,000 tests a day is maintained and improved upon then when the 40,000 are returned in a few days time about 120,000 will be carried out that day. That would have been clear and 100% honest. And target he had set blown out of the water. Job done. None the less good job Hancock - but the spin was not required. It’s a pity some would have us believe he never said 100,000 tests a day by end of month or find the spin completely acceptable.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Now you are making things up. If you want to be “quite clear” enter Matt Hancock 100,000 into the search bar in YouTube. You will hear him say that the target is 100,000 but he doesn’t say “tested” or “capability.” And that is his only wriggle room.

Personally, I took it to mean tested but that’s not what was said.

It was fairly clear, as we went through April that 100,000 tested wasn’t going to be met. The capacity was there by late April but how many times did the news programmes show empty test centres? You can’t blame the govt if people are too lazy to travel to a test centre.

indeed - so he shouldn’t have at least implied we‘d be doing 100,000 tests a day, and then claimed we were. Just a bit silly and now an unnecessary distraction and talking point.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I like the football stadium analogy, but an improvement on it might be when a football match is reported as being sold out and the attendance is announced as the stadium capacity. When someone points out that there were loads of empty seats we discover the ’attendance’ included every season ticket holder - whether they had turned up or not. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.