Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why are people nitpicking about the tests? Surely the greater the testing capacity the better?

Same with news articles implicitly critical of building the nightingales. Better to have than not.

The pedantic finger-pointers really get on my moobs.
And mine, it's really sad, many are so rabid in their party politics they cant move beyond nit picking criticism.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's damning then! And also of the 'Official Government site figures'!

And might also be why Socket has gone into 'Well done the Government' (meaning the Tories) propaganda mode (again).
My 'well done' just might be due to some good initiatives by the Government but I guess that doesnt suit your prejudices.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And mine, it's really sad, many are so rabid in their party politics they cant move beyond nit picking criticism.
Some are so rabid in their party politics that they think that any legitimate criticism is just nit picking....
The distressing thing for me about the Tories on this thread is that they literally never say 'do you know what, you might be right, some of our policies/politicians are a bit rubbish', just like some on the left. I find their lack of intellectual curiosity and flexibility profoundly depressing.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some are so rabid in their party politics that they think that any legitimate criticism is just nit picking....
The distressing thing for me about the Tories on this thread is that they literally never say 'do you know what, you might be right, some of our policies/politicians are a bit rubbish', just like some on the left. I find their lack of intellectual curiosity and flexibility profoundly depressing.
In dire times like we find ourselves right now it's not the time for nit picking party politics, it's reasonable for people to pass opinions or suggestions on how things could be improved but what I see continually being dished out on here is petty and vindictive. So many take every opportunity to find fault but never give any credit..

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
In dire times like we find ourselves right now it's not the time for nit picking party politics, it's reasonable for people to pass opinions or suggestions on how things could be improved but what I see continually being dished out on here is petty and vindictive. So many take every opportunity to find fault but never give any credit..

As luck would have it none of the posts on here matter a jot in real life, as nor did the thousands of Brexit thread posts.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMO the Torys missed a trick, they should have formed an apolitical virus committee of all party's then all this silly nonesence of questioning every move by a politically driven media (and us) would have had no where to go.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
IMO the Torys missed a trick, they should have formed an apolitical virus committee of all party's then all this silly nonesence of questioning every move by a politically driven media (and us) would have had no where to go.
Yes, they could have done something like that. I have to credit Starmer for the way he has been conducting himself though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My 'well done' just might be due to some good initiatives by the Government but I guess that doesnt suit your prejudices.
Oh, I was pleased they instigated those initiatives - so no 'prejudice' on my part. I'd be no different (so definitely no prejudice on my part) if it was Labour in government similarly fudging figures and announcing those measures, though I suspect you would! I'm just somewhat amused that in the midst of (now validated) criticism of 'the Government', you post some 'good news' action! Almost as if you are a 'Conservative activist' attempting to distract from a minister's 'dishonesty'!

D

Deleted member 16999

Is the thread title correct? As I’m sure I read it as political views - supporting or otherwise...

If it was just a back slapping exercise people want then maybe they should contact the op about the title as it seems everytime someone has an otherwise view they are jumped on.:unsure:

D

Deleted member 18588

I have said before on similar threads that I really can't understand the committed single party followers.

"My Party, right or wrong!" sits very uneasily with me, doesn't matter if it's Right or Left.

D

Deleted member 18588

When the time is right we will hopefully have a thorough investigation into the actions that the Government has taken in dealing with this crisis.

Undoubtedly it will reveal some mistakes that have been made.

Equally it will show areas where actions were world leading.

Either way the important thing is that lessons are learned and judgments made from both the negatives and the positives.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Oh, I was pleased they instigated those initiatives - so no 'prejudice' on my part. I'd be no different (so definitely no prejudice on my part) if it was Labour in government similarly fudging figures and announcing those measures, though I suspect you would! I'm just somewhat amused that in the midst of (now validated) criticism of 'the Government', you post some 'good news' action! Almost as if you are a 'Conservative activist' attempting to distract from a minister's 'dishonesty'!

Yes, had to laugh when the poster who never fails to praise the govt and attack any criticism puts up a post complaining yet again about other people being party political then quickly throws up a comment praising Starmer!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Perhaps The Graudian has a more gullible readership.

Personally I trust no newspaper and have not read one regularly for some years.
Likewise, I haven't read any newspaper regularly for a long time. Back home, I used to read a 'slightly left' morning paper and a 'slightly right' evening one! I'm always aware when I'm reading a newspaper article - normally from my PC - of the 'editorial attitude' of the paper.

The relative 'failure' of The Independent'/I demonstrates that readers tend to want confirmation of their own prejudices, rather than having them challenged/changed by 'proper' journalism!

Btw. My sig text is from the guy that created the paper(s) that eventually morphed into the Gruaniad!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Perhaps The Graudian has a more gullible readership.

Personally I trust no newspaper and have not read one regularly for some years.

Me too. I think the answer is Guardian readers do think about politics and gravitate to a paper which fits in with their beliefs (as do Times and Telegraph readers), while Sun readers are more interested in football, beer and Love Island.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When the time is right we will hopefully have a thorough investigation into the actions that the Government has taken in dealing with this crisis.

Undoubtedly it will reveal some mistakes that have been made.

Equally it will show areas where actions were world leading.

Either way the important thing is that lessons are learned and judgments made from both the negatives and the positives.
I don't believe that'll happen - at least, not in a non-political form. And I don't believe it would be particularly appropriate either! There may be a number of reviews into ways specific areas could have been made to work better, but nothing like an independent 'Judicial Review'. The review of government performance will be the next election!

Last edited:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
If we were truly "in this together" then the least I'd have hoped for was some straightforward honesty from government... Sadly, for me, they've taken their lead from just about every other government/bureaucracy and failed in this aspect...

Status
Not open for further replies.