Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Johnson has built a political career out of bluff, bluster, jingoism of the worst sort bordering on racism and a fair few whoppers.
His camp followers like Gove, Patel, Rees Mogg [where has he gone], Fox etc follow his leadership style.
They stand up in front of a microphone and the UK public recognise them as people who have told them bare faced lies.
They are now finding that in a crisis where lives and loved ones are at risk the people of the UK want honest leadership and the truth.
So far they jury is out on that.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thread reopened

Please play nice or it will be closed permanently

Ooh would I go down in forum history for starting a thread that gets permanently closed??!!

The good thing is all this leaves the other thread alone for it to be what it should be. Members saying they're struggling, others offering help and a beacon of ligh and hope.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ooh would I go down in forum history for starting a thread that gets permanently closed??!!

The good thing is all this leaves the other thread alone for it to be what it should be. Members saying they're struggling, others offering help and a beacon of ligh and hope.

this Thursday I will clap for Amanda for starting this thread and Fragger for reopening.... someone gotta do it..

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before posting to have a moan about this or that stat or failure etc, remember folks throughout Jan/Feb not a one of us cared a jot about this virus or the thousands of dead and dying in Asia/Europe to be bothered enough to pass a comment on here

It’s a mighty small pedestal we seem to be trying to mount

Are you suggesting the great British public sleptwalked its way into the current situation we now find ourselves in ?✌...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Are you suggesting the great British public sleptwalked its way into the current situation we now find ourselves in ?✌...

Kinda & also saying there’s no one on here that can afford to get all high n mighty on this subject. We kept our mouths well and truly shut on this forum when it was just killing folk in Asia/Europe so we can't go playing political one-upmanship now that its reached the garden gate

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Kinda & also saying there’s no one on here that can afford to get all high n mighty on this subject. We kept our mouths well and truly shut on this forum when it was just killing folk in Asia/Europe so we can't go playing political one-upmanship now that its reached the garden gate

Or, perhaps more likely, our error was a misplaced faith that our government had our backs covered... Which, seems from afar, your government/ administration did...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Before posting to have a moan about this or that stat or failure etc, remember folks throughout Jan/Feb not a one of us cared a jot about this virus or the thousands of dead and dying in Asia/Europe to be bothered enough to pass a comment on here

It’s a mighty small pedestal we seem to be trying to mount

When it was initially reported in early Jan, it pinged up on my radar, just as SARS and MERS did. Its an area of (clinical)interest. And the numbers started to rise very quickly. And then the Spanish press started to raise concerns of the Chinese travelling to visit their relatives for Chinese New Year - Spain has a lot of Chinese. The article also referenced the start of the outbreak in Italy, and the fact that a lot of the leather factories in Northern Italy were Chinese owned and had a lot of Chinese employees.

And still the numbers were rising. I started to look at the numbers were the global transport hubs were based. e.g. Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Madrid, London, New York and Chicago. And then if they were rippling out from there.

And during all of this govts were rushing to build emergency hospitals and order mountains of equipment. Now why would they do that?

How have the UK govt performed since around lockdown till now? In the last 8 weeks, not bad at all. But what about from Jan through to things really ramping up - there was the herd immunity thing that the WHO were against, and all the data coming out of countries already in the middle of it. Seriously, is culpable in manslaughter a bit harsh? Probably, but only just.

And the messaging from the govt hasn't helped. TELL the public what lockdown has to be, not give them a cuddle and ask them if they mind staying in. 2,000 fines 'v' 800,000 fines in Spain. Get the message across and get it across unambiguously.

Anecdotally, last night we were having a 3 way discussion with two lots of neighbours over the back and side fence. One of them was saying how stupid the lockdown has been. The other, like us, has done everything by the book. One of them has had a few house parties, a couple of BBQ's etc. I'm the Devil's Spawn. My response was if you get it, don't ring me but if those to our side get it, I'll help out.

But that's just my opinion.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Reported on the news today that people failed to turn up for 20,000 test over the weekend.
Got a link to tinternet version of report?

Only stuff I could find was (fairly old info) about how 20k more tests could be done or how 20k 'representative' households would asked to send swabs!

D

Deleted member 18588

would have thought that would have been widely reported.

maybe you misheard ...
Would it be widely reported if it didn't fit the narrative?

I'm not certain. But then I trust no media outlet, BBC, ITV, Sky, or literally any newspaper.

Whatever the story they all choose their own standpoint on an issue and nothing will ever deflect them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
would have thought that would have been widely reported.

maybe you misheard ...

No hearing is still fairly good, not sure if you can get BBC Breakfast on catch up but is was sometime between 0720-0800 if your really interested.

Barnstaple pop up center was so quite you could just rock up if you had symptoms and they would register you there and then and test you.

Status
Not open for further replies.