Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

User62651

Boris back tomorrow, a long 'to do' list to sort out. Has been one Govt PR mess after another since he went down ill.

Interested to see if his outlook or demeanour has changed at all. He thought he was Clark Kent but now knows he isn't.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I suspect a chunk of that is about his model, same for all low cost airlines, which is occupancy rates. If he keeps the middle seats empty that may make the flight uneconomic. That would explain why he wants the govt to pay for the middle seat.

Equally, as a straight talker he points out people are in contact with each other in supermarkets, they will be close in the airport, they will be close when loading the plane. Keeping an empty seat seems a token gesture and he is pointing this out. I tend to agree with him on this, never thought I'd say that ?

I feel the same! This is twice in the same week I’ve found myself agreeing with O’Leary, he was spot on in regards to Branson too!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news...son-of-trying-to-fleece-the-taxpayer-11978098

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect a chunk of that is about his model, same for all low cost airlines, which is occupancy rates. If he keeps the middle seats empty that may make the flight uneconomic. That would explain why he wants the govt to pay for the middle seat.

Equally, as a straight talker he points out people are in contact with each other in supermarkets, they will be close in the airport, they will be close when loading the plane. Keeping an empty seat seems a token gesture and he is pointing this out. I tend to agree with him on this, never thought I'd say that ?

To be a bit pedantic it's not government that'll be picking up the tab but the taxpayer... Can I should I be affording that post covid?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Doon is implying it isn't...

Actually it was not(y) ……...There was a headline that knife crime figures in England had reached it's highest recorded level.
Not sure about the period but would imagine it was for the past year.
Not 100% certain but I am pretty sure Patel did not mention this in her 'good news on crime figures for idiots speech'.

PS....Niclola Sturgeon's 'grown up adult conversation on lockdown'' seems to be the topic of the day with the UK media.
I must have heard it half a dozen times today already.

Last edited:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actually it was not(y) ……...There was a headline that knife crime figures in England had reached it's highest recorded level.
Not sure about the period but would imagine it was for the past year.
Not 100% certain but I am pretty sure Patel did not mention this in her 'good news on crime figures for idiots speech'.

Even as anti government as I am, not really sure rise in knife crime over the last year (or whatever period the figures relate to) has any connection to the period of lockdown... Unless, of course, it's merely another opportunity for you to take a swipe against those of us south of the wall...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be a bit pedantic it's not government that'll be picking up the tab but the taxpayer... Can I should I be affording that post covid?
One and the same but I get your point. I think O'Leary said something along the lines of he wont fly with those restrictions or he will if the govt, whichever one, pays for the empty seats. He has been quite vociferous about airlines receiving state aid so he is not making a pitch for money, he wants to be able to sell all of his seats still. The line about making the govt, and so taxpayer ?, pay was classic O'Leary grabbing a headline.

Incidentally, you are spot on, the knife crime figures are for 2019, nothing to do with the lockdown period.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Even as anti government as I am, not really sure rise in knife crime over the last year (or whatever period the figures relate to) has any connection to the period of lockdown... Unless, of course, it's merely another opportunity for you to take a swipe against those of us south of the wall...
The knife crime figures were recently released...….I would have thought a proper Home Secretary would have at least commented on them and given some re-assurance as to what actions the government were taking to control the problem.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52395986

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The knife crime figures were recently released...….I would have thought a proper Home Secretary would have at least commented on them and given some re-assurance as to what actions the government were taking to control the problem.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52395986

They're going to keep the 2m social distancing permanently. It's very difficult to stab someone from 2m away. ?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

The figures don't make for great reading... I'd far rather them be addressed as part of a standalone statement than buried within a statement addressing another on going matter...

Status
Not open for further replies.