Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf

Visit site
Sssh! If I tell you I'll have to kill you.

That aside, I came off the phone about 45 mins back after speaking to a senior sister in an ITU not a million miles away from Homer. I asked about PPE. They have everything they need but the masks are uncomfortable for a full 14 hour shift. She's gone out and bought her own... sounds like the troops in Iraq.
Before & after Iraq we always bought our kit regardless off issue kit being supplied. It simply wasn't good enough then or now quality wise for the punishment it goes through. I've got loads in my garage I could probably open my own surplus store.

Wolf

Visit site
I was buying from Silvermans in the 70’s, sewed in seams on all my trousers, NI boots & gloves before my first tour but we used them for UN in Cyprus as std gear was heavy and sore.
2000s issue kit still overly heavy and not durable. Only ever wore issue boots during basic and ceremonially. Always bought my own along with webbing, assault vests, bergans, pouches, canoe bags you name I've bought it ?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There’s no defence. People in high office/position of authority when speaking to the public, under the circumstances should not being “getting things wrong”.
I agree with you. My point that was probably poorly made was the previous poster suggested rather than him getting his facts wrong pressure had been applied to him to say that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought PMQs today was in many ways rather better than the usual baying and jeering mess.

And without the heeeyah, heeeyah audience - it made the obligatory sycophantic dolly question, as is delivered to the PM, look rather pathetic - as we know that they are no matter who delivers them from whatever part of the house.

Did I think Starmer did well? Well he did one heck of a lot better than Corbyn would have I am pretty sure of that.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a comment that passed me by this week... From Michael O'Leary (Ryanair) "either the government pays for the middle seat or we don't fly"... Apparently, he believes keeping seats empty to ensure distancing is a ridiculous idea???

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pritti Patel boasting about a reduction in shoplifting since the lockdown. Surprised she didn't go on to tell us that trouble in pubs and clubs is also down.

Strangely she forgot to mention the shocking increase in knife crime figures in England.
Hmmmm….. now who objected to the concept of this UK government having a grown up adult conversation with the public.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Strangely she forgot to mention the shocking increase in knife crime figures in England.
Hmmmm….. now who objected to the concept of this UK government having a grown up adult conversation with the public.
give her credit though at least she managed to not smile when she read out the latest death toll

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
On 2nd April, Matt Hancock pledged the UK would be carrying out 100,000 tests a day by the end of the month. As of 24th April, the actual figure was 28,500. As we struggle to get anywhere near the target, talk of "capacity" has emerged over the last few days. This is now 51,000 apparently.

Call me cynical, but I'm willing to bet that "capacity" will magically be more 100,000 by the end of the month, with Hancock claiming he has achieved his goal, while the actual number of tests carried out will be far short of that target.

D

Deleted member 18588

And is Sturgeon currently talking about the rise in violent crime in Scotland.

I would guess not as her briefings, like those from Downing Street, are on Governments' dealings with coronavirus.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
And is Sturgeon currently talking about the rise in violent crime in Scotland.

I would guess not as her briefings, like those from Downing Street, are on Governments' dealings with coronavirus.

Strange post, given it was Patel that brought up shoplifting.

She also boasted that burglaries were down, funny that, with everyone being at home!

D

Deleted member 18588

Strange post, given it was Patel that brought up shoplifting.

She also boasted that burglaries were down, funny that, with everyone being at home!

Because she was specifically talking about the figures for the period of lockdown.

As far as I am aware there is no equivalent information for knife crime.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Because she was specifically talking about the figures for the period of lockdown.

As far as I am aware there is no equivalent information for knife crime.

Knife crime will obviously be down during the lockdown as there are a lot less people out and about. Domestic violence is up.

D

Deleted member 18588

Knife crime will obviously be down during the lockdown as there are a lot less people out and about. Domestic violence is up.

The rise in domestic violence seems, very sadly, to be inevitable (rather like the fall in shoplifting) and the Government has already acknowledged this.

I believe further support is being provided to the various bodies to deal with its consequences.

However, trying to prevent it is a much longer term issue.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a comment that passed me by this week... From Michael O'Leary (Ryanair) "either the government pays for the middle seat or we don't fly"... Apparently, he believes keeping seats empty to ensure distancing is a ridiculous idea???
I suspect a chunk of that is about his model, same for all low cost airlines, which is occupancy rates. If he keeps the middle seats empty that may make the flight uneconomic. That would explain why he wants the govt to pay for the middle seat.

Equally, as a straight talker he points out people are in contact with each other in supermarkets, they will be close in the airport, they will be close when loading the plane. Keeping an empty seat seems a token gesture and he is pointing this out. I tend to agree with him on this, never thought I'd say that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.