Convertible Cars & Golf Clubs

KKImp

Visit site
Does anyone have experience of fitting golf clubs into a convertible car?
I used to have an MGF which could fit a bag and clubs in the boot and the trolley went in the passenger footwell/seat.
Are there any more modern convertibles that can at least match that with the roof down?
Ideally a two seater, although a four seater would mean the back seat could be used for the bag if the boot isn’t big enough.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My wife drives a convertible but it's 4-seater. You can't fit anything in the boot at all as it's a hard-top which is all folded down in there - when she's dropped me off we just drop the roof down and dump the clubs and trolley on the back seat which is easy enough.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to have a convertible.
It was a massive pain, if the roof was down I could either get the golf clubs OR the wife in the passenger seat.

I still miss her occasionally ?

Did she get the car in the divorce settlement hence you not having it now?:D

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Used to have a Merc CLK soft top, not a hope of using the boot with the roof down.

Now I have a Jaguar XF ((The Frag Jag) which whilst not being a soft top, has a mahoosive boot which easily takes my trolley and bag

Sekiro

Visit site
Should be dependent on the car I would think, on some models the roof doesn’t go into the boot space the same as others (BMW Z4 for example), Nissan 350Z and 370Z have a sticker in the boot showing how to fit your clubs, something like an Audi TT is slightly smaller than say the Z4 so might not be possible (these are all roadsters, you might get more capacity with a convertible).

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very much car specific.

It’s certainly not impossible. I had a bmw 1 series convertible and got them in no problem. Two sets in fact. That had a canvas roof though, anything with a metal roof will lose more boot space.

I had a 4 series convertible for a bit too and that was also no problem (sort of), but the boot space was significantly limited by the roof. My clubs got in but with the back seats folded down. I tended to just dump the lot on the back seat. It was a 435 though so I was willing to forgive its sins.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Drive an Audi A5 convertible. Clubs go on the back seat, got a flat folding electric trolley that goes in the boot or a push trolley in the front foot well. Not ideal but it works

Wedgey

Club Champion
Visit site
My girlfriend has a mini convertible. Trolley (powakaddy fw3) goes in the boot albeit with the wheels off, full size cart bag lies across back seat. Jobs a good un.

Mind you, suspension is rock hard and not recommended for long drives ?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Used to have a convertible Audi S5, you could fit a small bag in the boot (just) ended up using the back seats - rubbish if you're more than 2 people going to golf.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have an old Z4. Cart bag and electric trolly fit in the boot, easily enough. Roof up, or down.
Then they went tin top, totally useless.
New ones now are back to cloth top. I am guessing the boot should be massive, as the car is way bigger than my original.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just taken delivery of a BMW 2 series convertible. I thought I was going to have to put the clubs on the back seat. However if I remove the wheels from my electric trolley, I can get trolley + wheels in the space at the rear of the boot. The clubs (minus the driver) will then fit in the widest part of the boot.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I drive a Mercedes E500 convertible. Not masses of room but I’m able to get a tour bag in the boot and my trolley goes on the back seat.

I do have to take my woods out of the bag and lay them diagonally across the floor of the boot in order to get then in.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 289 Cobra. Carry bag with clubs fit in the passenger seat/footwell. A Friend has a Porsche and he cant get his clubs in the boot, something to do with there being an engine in it!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Used to have a Saab 9-3 convertible (05 plate), if I took the wheels off the trolley (motocaddy S1) I could get the trolley and the clubs in the boot with the roof down, without removing any clubs from the bag. Loved driving that car.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Used to have a Saab 9-3 convertible (05 plate), if I took the wheels off the trolley (motocaddy S1) I could get the trolley and the clubs in the boot with the roof down, without removing any clubs from the bag. Loved driving that car.

The best car I have ever owned was a 1996 SAAB 900. Back then SAAB was SAAB, not GM. The 9-3s I had after that were never as good.

Sekiro

Visit site
Just taken delivery of a BMW 2 series convertible. I thought I was going to have to put the clubs on the back seat. However if I remove the wheels from my electric trolley, I can get trolley + wheels in the space at the rear of the boot. The clubs (minus the driver) will then fit in the widest part of the boot.

Good to hear this, got a 2 series myself and was a little worried if the narrow boot opening might be an issue.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a Porsche Boxster. Bag goes in the back boot, trolley and shoes go in the front boot. No need to put anything wet or dirty inside the car. I went to AG and tried the trolley in the front boot before handing over the cash - chose a Motorcaddy Cube as they seemed to fold up the neatest.

I used to have an MX-5, I had to have a two wheel trolley then but, once again, everything went in the boot. It used to make me smirk when I saw people with cars that were twice the size of mine but they couldn't get their driver in the boot! I wouldn't buy a car that didn't fit my clubs.