Golf with lower back pain

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
Can only assume quite a few folk have had to deal with lower back disc issues over the years? I've had two occurrences in the last 8 months, with 15 visits to the Chiropractor. He says it is a damaged/herniated disc at L4/5 in the spine, but I don't have MRI evidence. I'm being told by my GP to avoid Golf, but how can I when I still love the game, frustrating as it has become with injuries these days. Any advice on a way forward? I'm on a strict diet to lose at least 2 stones in weight, used to always carry my bag, but have bought a trolley to use now. Doing a lot of walking which is helping. I'll try to get my set up looked at, perhaps posture isn't 100%. Still play off 9 & a bit, so there is still a game there somewhere. Would longer clubs help, shorter irons & putter in particular? Or should I throw the clubs in the skip? Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Stop playing for now, get your back sorted properly and then start golf again - slowly and only when recommended by the proper experts (not pseudo doctors on a forum). Trying to find work rounds now will only lead to more serious issues along the line.
Probably not want you want to hear but deep down you know it is the only way

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a discectomy between L4 & L5 30 years ago, had the procedure in the May and was fit enough to play rugby the following September, played at national league level for another 10 years after that too, so all is not lost. Having said that, as with any injury, each one is unique to the individual and ranges in severity, so Neilds is absolutely spot on with his advice. Losing weight will help a lot as will stretching exercises (google 'Mckenzie exercises' which are specifically for lower back problems).

The caveat to the above is that I do still have the occasional back spasm and I am very aware that there is a weakness there, I am habitually careful when picking anything up, even when sneezing I adopt a braced position! :LOL:

I'm not a fan of Chiropractors, Osteopaths etc based on my own experiences. I would be asking for an MRI and possibly referral to a neurologist.

Golf is not great when carrying a back injury, so it is probably sensible to have a bit of time off because you certainly don't want a chronic injury to develop.

Hope this helps.

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
I have not been near Golf since mid November last year. Hoping to start again next month if recovery continues well. My question really was what kind of preventative measures could I put in place in order to play Golf regularly again? Have applied for an MRI so that I can at least have clarity as to what the problem actually is. I am following some simple stretches & walking a lot, & trending in the right direction. The advice of "listen to your body" is something I've taken on board. I'm not the guy who takes no for an answer! There is always a way, just have to find it.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not sure about Chiropracty but I would have great faith in the true medics.
So many phoney people out there with alternative medicines that people buy into.
Simple stretching and walking is good for now.
Listen to your body which is the best healer.

You could also check this out. I've heard several stories of the benefits of this. I think it works.
Effect of Tai Chi Chuan on degeneration of lumbar vertebrae and lumbar discs in middle-aged and aged people: a cross-sectional study based on magnetic resonance images - PMC (nih.gov)

Last edited:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i had a break of 18 months when I had S1/L5 back issues.

I had an osteopath refer me for an MRI to confirm his diagnosis, which was spot on.

I did yoga and swimming and eventually it sorted itself out, there is no magic bullet Im afraid.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'm absolutely against chiropractors and osteopathy, I've been conned by them in the past. I dont think you can beat a qualified physiotherapist or, as said earlier, a doctor/consultant following an MRI scan

I was with my previous Chiropractor for 15 years. He was a qualified Physiotherapist as well as a Chiro. Had nothing but good treatment from him. Gonna have to find new treatment up here now though.

D

Deleted member 1147

The caveat to the above is that I do still have the occasional back spasm and I am very aware that there is a weakness there, I am habitually careful when picking anything up, even when sneezing I adopt a braced position!:LOL:

i have to lift one foot off the ground when I sneeze and/or cough :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:

Big85

Visit site
I’m baking the same issue with my upper back right side scapular. In so much pain with it. Had 2 weeks of rest and went back to the range and only played half swings which still had twinges. Been range again today and it was a no go, I was in so much pain. It’s so frustrating. I don’t know whether to go see a chiropractor. Dr will only put me on tablets. I guess we all know the answer which is to rest up!

Mandofred

Visit site
2 bulging discs in lower back that happened March 2011. Time and continuing to exercise did the job. The problem isn't completely gone, in fact the last month the area has been getting pretty stiff again. I was playing golf within 4 months or so of it happening....it was uncomfortable, but golf didn't make it worse. Standing around is what kills me....and there is way too much of that in golf. I lift weights at least 3 times a week, lots of cardio (ex runner) and have just started dabbling at tennis again. Really need to do more core work though.....

Knowing what is wrong is a good place to start. Until I got a verdict from a Dr I would be careful.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’m baking the same issue with my upper back right side scapular. In so much pain with it. Had 2 weeks of rest and went back to the range and only played half swings which still had twinges. Been range again today and it was a no go, I was in so much pain. It’s so frustrating. I don’t know whether to go see a chiropractor. Dr will only put me on tablets. I guess we all know the answer which is to rest up!
What chiro's & physios can do is help loosen up muscle "knots". So it may be worth looking into.
That's why I see a chiro. As I have severe bulging discs I often get tightness from muscle spasms (am waiting on a steroid injection). So the chiro gets into the knots and helps reduce the tightness and therefore the pain.

I also see a PT, use a massage gun, foam roller and TENs machine.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm absolutely against chiropractors and osteopathy, I've been conned by them in the past. I dont think you can beat a qualified physiotherapist or, as said earlier, a doctor/consultant following an MRI scan

I was the other way round, the Physios were useless (tried 2 ) and it was the osteopath who sorted me out (suggested the swimming as its a weightless stretch, front crawl). Guess its finding the one that works best for you.

D

Deleted member 1147

I was the other way round, the Physios were useless (tried 2 ) and it was the osteopath who sorted me out (suggested the swimming as its a weightless stretch, front crawl). Guess its finding the one that works best for you.

Definitely. I have a client who was telling me about his brilliant chiro, who he sees once a week for the last 3 months.
I told him about mine, who I see once every 3 months.

I know which I'd trust the most.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One thing in golf that can cause a bad back is a poor finishing position. Weight stuck on the back foot and the dreaded 'reverse C'.
Take more club, shorter backswing and finish on your front foot in a comfortable position would be my advice.
However, first things first.... get an expert's opinion before you do anything.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was with my previous Chiropractor for 15 years. He was a qualified Physiotherapist as well as a Chiro. Had nothing but good treatment from him. Gonna have to find new treatment up here now though.

I suggest that the physiotherapy training was why he was so good. My osteopath swore he could cure my bad back, after about 12 visits I got an MRI scan and found that both of my hips were absolutely knackered - I have a similar case involving my (then) young son.

Big85

Visit site
The chiropractor that I’ve spoken to has said it’s pretty much minimum 6 sessions which is around £400. He’s said it’s about sorting the problem so it doesn’t keep coming back. I’ve had deep tissue massages elsewhere before which I’ve found have helped but the chiropractor said they are only like a quick fix!

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The chiropractor that I’ve spoken to has said it’s pretty much minimum 6 sessions which is around £400. He’s said it’s about sorting the problem so it doesn’t keep coming back. I’ve had deep tissue massages elsewhere before which I’ve found have helped but the chiropractor said they are only like a quick fix!

Spoken to? or seen? :unsure: