Considering Stack & Tilt

Oggie41

Club Champion
Visit site
Following on from a few recent threads it seems that Stack and Tilt has got a few supporters on here. JustOneUK in particular has put forward a decent argument for it, and after reading a few things about it I can see some of the benefits. I'm actually tempted to buy the Bennett and Plumber book and give it a go.

I've got a few questions about it though, which hopefully JOUK (or anyone else using S&T) could answer:

- How has your game improved since using it? (consistency? distance?)
- What drawbacks (if any) have you found with using it?
- As there are very few S&T coaches teaching it do you think it's something that you can get to grips with just by reading a book?
- If S&T is the better swing then why don't the top pros use it?

I'd also be interested to hear what your handicap was using a conventional swing, and what your handicap is now you're using S&T...

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
The pro I use started me with this around 18 months ago and the results were very good, my ball striking went from iffy to very good quite quickly. It has gradually evolved now but if I find myself struggling I drift back to the basics he taught me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
James has given me a few things to look at in my swing using some of the S&T fundamentals and early signs are very favourable. I'm not advocating a full change but what with gone through has led to a more powerful strike and early tests at the range (apart from a driver which is stubbornly misbehaving) are very exciting.

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really using stack and tilt but found that trying to do it reduced wasteful lateral movement in my swing and improved consistency and power.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure I know enough about it to comment but whatever floats your boat.

My theory is there is no such thing as the right swing. Jim Furyk looks like an Octopus knitting a jumper but I'd take his swing any day.

A complete swing change seems a bit drastic to me but if it works for you then do it. Personally I'm happy with my conventional swing and feel really comfortable with it but there have been times over the last few years that I have been so low I would have tried it. At the end of the day the most important thing is getting the club square and on plane at impact, how you get it there doesn't really matter.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Full on change to S&T. Wish it had been around 20 years ago.

Ok, handicap change, gone up from 9.4 to 9.7. Whoopee, can't read much into that, but in terms of ball strike, and flight, S&T is way better. It will pay off. In fact it would have done, if I had trusted it, but I have not hit enough balls yet (10k+) to bed it in.

Ok, few (if any) tour players use it. Again, whoopee, are you built like a tour player, are you as gifted as a tour player, do you practice like a tour player? If not, what the heck makes you think that their swing is for you?

I have read Plummer and Bennets S&T book. I am very self analytical, and can glean enough from a book to make it work. If this isn't you, S&T coaches are few and far between.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The SnT craze on Tour appears to have cooled off, and a few players using it have drifted away.

One of the criticisms for average players is that it does require some flexibility and athleticism to get the hip move right, otherwise all you are doing is just staying centred over the ball and not really doing SnT at all. I suspect many average players who think they are doing it are not. Not our fine forum colleagues, of course, who no doubt have mastered the move.

The move is also easier for short irons than long ones, so the average player will find it difficult to flight the driver if doing SnT properly.

Oggie41

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Oggie, what's your h/cap and why are you thinking about changing?

Hi, my current handicap is 19. I'm actually pretty pleased with how my current swing is improving after a few lessons, so haven't been looking to change anything. I've just heard so many good reports about it, and very few criticisms against it, so figured it could be worth a try to try and get me down to single figures.

I understand the basic principles of it, I was interested to see how/if the swing has improved other players games.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only been trying it out for the last few days. I have read the book and not 100% confident in changing my swing to full blown stack and tilt, however, I’m definitely taking some aspects from it. Properly the worst possible time to mess around with my swing before the start of the season.

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
I went to stack and tilt as I couldn't get consistent contact with the ball, lot's of fat and thins.
if you hit the ball consistently but struggle with shape, then s&t is probably not for you.
For me it's a god send, when I tried reverting to a traditional swing it felt awful as there was so much extra movement that just didn't feel necessary.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did I say it was going well. Cue a range session of shanks! There were a few good ones towards the end but not a good day. Might be an interesting pairing with me and Pedro both trying this out on Saturday. Better pack some extra ammo

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hi, my current handicap is 19. I'm actually pretty pleased with how my current swing is improving after a few lessons, so haven't been looking to change anything. I've just heard so many good reports about it, and very few criticisms against it, so figured it could be worth a try to try and get me down to single figures.

Hi Oggie,

I'm not exactly a sales rep for S&T but there is no reason why you can't get to single figures with it.

2 years ago there wasn't a swing (or a pro) that would tell you to keep your weight on your left side or keep your head over the ball, it was all about loading up the right side and somehow getting back to the ball without fatting it...

The guy on the left is Nick Faldo with the 'conventional' position - (weight moved away from the target, eyes over the right foot, shoulders fairly flat which makes the swing a bit 'hands and arms', over swinging, a bit cramped at the top, big slide needed to get back to the ball... yada, yada, yada). The guy on the right is Martin Kymer....

77079461.gif

For me it was a no brainer, the conventional swing had to go. Like Murphthemog - I wish I hadn't wasted all those years with a swing that categorically doesn't work. I'm still in the process myself of trying to undo all the bad habits I picked up over 16 years of frustration :)

Note: Totally agree with Ethan that many who think they are doing stack and tilt are infact not doing it properly, however, the fundamentals are so good that even if you can implement a few bits it can improve your game.