Compulsory Handicap to be shown on Scorecard

bunkerblaster

Visit site
I know it, you know it. The (only) handicap which a player is obliged to show on a scorecard in stroke play is their Course Handicap. If you put your CH in the CH box you will not be DQd, so long as it is accurate. Lots of scorecards have three boxes, HI, CH and PH available. Do other posters find their players putting CHs in the PH box? I have been easy going and accepting a CH in a PH box, and trying to cajole conformity, but a player recently only put the PH in PH box, and appealed when I dock him and his group 1 stroke each from the score. The only handicaps on the card were the three PHs. Please see Players Edition rule 3.3b to advise whether you think this rule is specific.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I know it, you know it. The (only) handicap which a player is obliged to show on a scorecard in stroke play is their Course Handicap. If you put your CH in the CH box you will not be DQd, so long as it is accurate. Lots of scorecards have three boxes, HI, CH and PH available. Do other posters find their players putting CHs in the PH box? I have been easy going and accepting a CH in a PH box, and trying to cajole conformity, but a player recently only put the PH in PH box, and appealed when I dock him and his group 1 stroke each from the score. The only handicaps on the card were the three PHs. Please see Players Edition rule 3.3b to advise whether you think this rule is specific.
See below for Clarifications from the ruling bodies regarding handicaps that was issued in April 2021. Also note that there is no provision in the Rules for the penalty that you applied.

Clarification 1

Interpretation 3.3b(4)/1 – National Association May Establish Meaning of “Handicap” Player Must Show on Scorecard:

Until further notice, a National Association (Authorized Association as defined in the Rules of Handicapping) may adopt a policy that establishes the handicap that players must show on their scorecard in a net-score stroke play competition. This handicap does not have to be the handicap described in Interpretation 3.3b(4)/1, which is the Course Handicap (as defined in the Rules of Handicapping). The options for the National Association are the Handicap Index, the Course Handicap or the Playing Handicap. If no policy is adopted by the National Association, the Course Handicap is the handicap the player must show on the scorecard, in accordance with Interpretation 3.3b(4)/1.

When the 2019 Rules of Golf were released, the Rules of Handicapping under the World Handicapping System were still being drafted. Given the timing, the Rules of Golf were unable to address new terminology included in the Rules of Handicapping and, as a result, the Rules of Golf were finalized with the requirement that the Course Handicap is the handicap that players must show on their scorecard.

With the release of the World Handicapping System came the term “Playing Handicap,” which caused confusion among the golf community as to which handicap is required to be shown on the scorecard. Additionally, there are regions around the world that do not use a Course Handicap.

Based on the above Clarification, the National Association (such as the United States Golf Association) in your region has the authority to decide which handicap players are required to show on the scorecard when playing in a net stroke-play competition. In the United States and its territories, the “Handicap” the player must show on his or her scorecard is the Course Handicap, as described in Interpretation 3.3b(4)/1.

Clarification 2

Interpretation 3.3b(4)/2 – Player May be Exempt From Penalty When Committee Provides a Scorecard With an Incorrect Handicap:

Until further notice, a National Association (Authorized Association as defined in the Rules of Handicapping) may adopt a policy that alters the provisions in Interpretation 3.3b(4)/2. With such a policy in place, it means that if a Committee provides a player with a scorecard containing the incorrect handicap and the error is not corrected before the player returns the scorecard, this will be treated as an administrative mistake by the Committee. This means that the player is not penalized if the incorrect handicap on the returned scorecard is the handicap provided by the Committee. There is no time limit for correcting the mistake.

Clarification 2 (above) relates to the confusion that is discussed under Clarification 1, but also touches on the reality of how competitions function at many golf clubs – that is, the golf staff preparing scorecards with handicaps as a courtesy to players.

In preparing scorecards, the Committee may, as a product of not being aware that Course Handicap is to be used, put the Playing Handicap on scorecards. This may potentially result in players returning a scorecard showing a higher handicap than they are entitled to and therefore being disqualified or showing a lower handicap and therefore not receiving the appropriate amount of handicap strokes.

Based on the above Clarification, the National Association (such as the United States Golf Association) in your region has the authority to treat these errors as administrative mistakes. In the United States and its territories, the USGA has adopted this policy, so that if a Committee provides a player with a scorecard containing the incorrect handicap and the error is not corrected before the player returns the scorecard, this will be treated as an administrative mistake.

However, in the case where a player makes a change to the handicap that was provided on the scorecard by the Committee (such as by crossing it out and writing a different handicap), this is not treated as an administrative mistake as the player has altered the handicap shown.

The allowances provided in both Clarifications are in effect until further notice as we (USGA) and our partner in governance (The R&A) continue to look forward to the 2023 revision to the Rules of Golf.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm not surprised he appealed. What rule did you cite to justify the 1 stroke penalty from the player, and even more interestingly which one did you use to justify docking strokes from the others in his group who have no responsibility whatsoever for where he puts his course handicap?

As to the course handicap being put in the wrong place, be mindful of Interpretation 3.3b/2:

3.3b/2
Information Put in Wrong Location on Scorecard May Still Be Acceptable

Although all requirements of Rule 3.3b must be met before a scorecard is returned, there is no penalty if the correct information is mistakenly entered on the scorecard in a place other than where it was expected to be, except that each hole score on the scorecard must be identifiable to the correct hole (see 3.3b(3)/1).

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've only played 3 open comps so far this season and on each occasion the card has had pre printed labels attached (y).
Showing my name, tee time, my Hi, my CH, my PH and my 4 digit on the day pin number.
All anyone needs to know is their actual playing handicap at that course on the day.:geek:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I've only played 3 open comps so far this season and on each occasion the card has had pre printed labels attached (y).
Showing my name, tee time, my Hi, my CH, my PH and my 4 digit on the day pin number.
All anyone needs to know is their actual playing handicap at that course on the day.:geek:
Just remember that the Committee is doing this a a favour to you. You are still responsible for the correct info (but see above Clarifications that may be applicable).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Under what rule?

One presumes in this day and age what is meant that the computer system has processed the card with the players correct H.I etc.

The player having only put one Handicap on the card the computer now needs adjusting to show this as the Course Handicap.

Therefore I would assume that 3.3 b (4 applies)

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
One presumes in this day and age what is meant that the computer system has processed the card with the players correct H.I etc.

The player having only put one Handicap on the card the computer no needs adjusting to show this as the Course Handicap.

Therefore I would assume that 3.3 b (4 applies)
It would depend on the difference between the PH and the CH. 1 stroke may or may not be the right number.

bunkerblaster

Visit site
Wow! Its in the rules, 3.3b If a player plays off a handicap higher than which entitled the player is DQd if a player plays off a handicap lower than which entitled the player is scored off the handicap on the card. All three players shown on the markers card (the covid card) played off a handicap one stroke less than which entitled, (they put the 95% down). Hence they played and were scored off the lower handicap in effect they lost one stroke.

I used the word "penalty" which is in effect what is was, but in fact they were scored off the handicap (the only handicap) shown on the scorecard.

I will add something else later, but would be interested in your comments with the above information.

bunkerblaster

Visit site
I'm not surprised he appealed. What rule did you cite to justify the 1 stroke penalty from the player, and even more interestingly which one did you use to justify docking strokes from the others in his group who have no responsibility whatsoever for where he puts his course handicap?

As to the course handicap being put in the wrong place, be mindful of Interpretation 3.3b/2:

3.3b/2
Information Put in Wrong Location on Scorecard May Still Be Acceptable

Although all requirements of Rule 3.3b must be met before a scorecard is returned, there is no penalty if the correct information is mistakenly entered on the scorecard in a place other than where it was expected to be, except that each hole score on the scorecard must be identifiable to the correct hole (see 3.3b(3)/1).

Colin L. He did not put a course handicap on the card, the ONLY handicap shown was the 95% playing handicap

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow! Its in the rules, 3.3b If a player plays off a handicap higher than which entitled the player is DQd if a player plays off a handicap lower than which entitled the player is scored off the handicap on the card. All three players shown on the markers card (the covid card) played off a handicap one stroke less than which entitled, (they put the 95% down). Hence they played and were scored off the lower handicap in effect they lost one stroke.

I used the word "penalty" which is in effect what is was, but in fact they were scored off the handicap (the only handicap) shown on the scorecard.

I will add something else later, but would be interested in your comments with the above information.
That was the information we needed.

bunkerblaster

Visit site
In fact reviewing my original post I did not use the word "penalty" (other posters introduced it) I used the word "dock" because I scored him off the only handicap showing on the scorecard which was a PH of 95% of the CH. I followed the handicapping rules (3.3b) and scored him and two others off the lower PH. Another group put their CHs in the PH box, (again the only handicaps shown on the card) and I accepted them as CHs, because, I really do not want to be DQing lots of players every week. I will take the offender aside and ask him in future to put the CHs in the CH box. The irony is (as some of you will have already spotted) if the appeal against the application of the PH as 95% of the CH is upheld and the one stroke deducted is reinstated, the group who put their CHs in the PH box face retrospective disqualification for playing off a PH in excess of their entitlement.

bunkerblaster

Visit site
rulie, Thanks for the clarifications.
Re Clarification 1: What is/are the England Golf requirements/guidance on this issue?

Clarification 2: I have already contacted and had a reply from the R&A (I raised it last year) that terminology used in players edition of the rules of golf was archaic. Namely: A "Committee" only in exceptional circs prepare a players scorecard. 99% of rounds are played with players completing all aspects of the scorecard. And since WHS doing a very bad job of it.

This introduction has been a complete shambles and caused chaos. To leave this shambles running until 2023 is a ******** disgrace. Please insert your own suitable expletive.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
rulie, Thanks for the clarifications.
Re Clarification 1: What is/are the England Golf requirements/guidance on this issue?

Clarification 2: I have already contacted and had a reply from the R&A (I raised it last year) that terminology used in players edition of the rules of golf was archaic. Namely: A "Committee" only in exceptional circs prepare a players scorecard. 99% of rounds are played with players completing all aspects of the scorecard. And since WHS doing a very bad job of it.

This introduction has been a complete shambles and caused chaos. To leave this shambles running until 2023 is a ******** disgrace. Please insert your own suitable expletive.

Prior to the WHS all our cards for Seniors comps (fortnightly or more often ) were prepared for us.

We have only stopped doing this because of the WHS and the possibility of a wrong H.I etc on the card. To be sure they are correct cards can now only be done sometime after 12.01am on the day of the comp.

DickInShorts

Visit site
Apps will be the way forwards.
For those who can’t/won’t use technology it’s easy for another member of the group to report that players score back to the relevant person at the club without the need for any card.
Here in Scotland the SG app tells you your handicap index course and playing when you check in.