All things scorecard

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you say your score is X, your marker would say, no your score was Y. Both would discuss it, agree, then the marker puts Y on the card.

You then put your scores in computer, so hopefully you have already agreed the scores the marker put on the card. If you make an error when entering on the computer, at least the committee have the card to cross check. This should at least be done for those in the prizes I'd imagine.

If you were left to simply mark your own card, you would have just put X, and no one would be any the wiser.

Your assumption is that the marker is correct. If 50% of players (I find that a very high figure) are getting it wrong then logic suggests that 50% of markers could be getting it wrong and your wrong, if I still insist that my score was X then the marker can’t make up his own mind what to place on the card.

Swango1980

Visit site
Your assumption is that the marker is correct. If 50% of players (I find that a very high figure) are getting it wrong then logic suggests that 50% of markers could be getting it wrong and your wrong, if I still insist that my score was X then the marker can’t make up his own mind what to place on the card.
It doesn't matter if he is right or wrong. The point is, it starts the discussion, so that between them they get to the right score.

If you only Mark your own score, how does anyone ever certify it is correct? Everyone must simply trust every golfer is counting their score correctly. It would also raise the question, if golfers simply Mark their own score, whyever was there a need for a marker at any point in the past?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't matter if he is right or wrong. The point is, it starts the discussion, so that between them they get to the right score.

If you only Mark your own score, how does anyone ever certify it is correct? Everyone must simply trust every golfer is counting their score correctly. It would also raise the question, if golfers simply Mark their own score, whyever was there a need for a marker at any point in the past?

Im not saying that scores aren’t agreed and verified, my point is (might have been poorly explained) that once they have been agreed you still have to trust the player to enter the correct score either using the PSI or the app.

I would still expect the player to mark down the other persons score for a cross check at the end of any round.

Swango1980

Visit site
Im not saying that scores aren’t agreed and verified, my point is (might have been poorly explained) that once they have been agreed you still have to trust the player to enter the correct score either using the PSI or the app.

I would still expect the player to mark down the other persons score for a cross check at the end of any round.
Ok, that is the first obstacle resolved :). Just miscommunication.

However, why do we then trust the players to enter scores electronically. Firstly, there is no responsibility in the rules for them to do this correctly. Also, they will not have a marker verifying they have done this correctly. And finally, some people have fat fingers, or rush through it, and end up with a different score that what was in card.

So, surely the Committee need to be able to have a method of checking these scores have been entered correctly? Otherwise, they are relying on the market to see the final scores, remember what their competitor scored, recognised it doesn't match what was published, then phone club. And, even if this happens, if there is no scorecard to check, it can be tricky to resolve

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, that is the first obstacle resolved :). Just miscommunication.

However, why do we then trust the players to enter scores electronically. Firstly, there is no responsibility in the rules for them to do this correctly. Also, they will not have a marker verifying they have done this correctly. And finally, some people have fat fingers, or rush through it, and end up with a different score that what was in card.

So, surely the Committee need to be able to have a method of checking these scores have been entered correctly? Otherwise, they are relying on the market to see the final scores, remember what their competitor scored, recognised it doesn't match what was published, then phone club. And, even if this happens, if there is no scorecard to check, it can be tricky to resolve

just to clarify, I would still insist (I do now) that cards are left in club for a percentage check and if any problems are raised, remember cards, especially Q cards, are kept for a period of time.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll suggest the Covid issues/rules are temporary (but who knows for how long) and that the Rules of golf won't change wrt to paper scorecards - they already permit electronic devices.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Already an alternative available, but for those who are not tech savvy in the current situation most clubs (rightly IMO) are not using them however there must be some kind of check hence the requirement for cards to be kept for each comp at present.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No - alternative (possibly more modern) ways should be found. Online solutions readily available and much better for all than the old fashioned scorecard!

The players have the opportunity to input their scores electronically if they so wish. Only about 30% of members use this option. However we still require the card to be returned. Seen a lot suggest photos but that is really time consuming for the committee /office inputting scores in comparison to reading cards.

Pre WHS (not seen any advice since) there was a CONGU requirement that all score cards are kept for at least a year (maybe have been longer but I have now deleted the UHS manual from my computer).

Swango1980

Visit site
The players have the opportunity to input their scores electronically if they so wish. Only about 30% of members use this option. However we still require the card to be returned. Seen a lot suggest photos but that is really time consuming for the committee /office inputting scores in comparison to reading cards.

Pre WHS (not seen any advice since) there was a CONGU requirement that all score cards are kept for at least a year (maybe have been longer but I have now deleted the UHS manual from my computer).
I agree. In terms of sending photos, this is only our temporary method during Covid. But, certainly not long term, as it very much is time consuming for both players and Committee, in comparison to physical scorecards. Our Seniors deal with physical scorecards still, but do not handle them for 3 days after the competition. Pre WHS this was OK, excpet members had to wait 3 days to see the results. Not really suitable post WHS.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Spoke to our county about this, they only keep them for a couple of months in case there is any comeback and I cant find any updated info on WHS.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I did say more modern ways - change is a horrible word for some. If electronic scoring was the only option then 100% of them would do it!!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did say more modern ways - change is a horrible word for some. If electronic scoring was the only option then 100% of them would do it!!

No they would not.

At best a lot of members would simply stop playing in comps at worst we would probably lose a lot of our members.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was 2 years but the requirement has not been carried forward in to WHS, presumably because the 2019 RoG made provision for electronic devices. As I remember the requirement was introduced prior to the CDH.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know about other apps but Golf Genius allows for one player to record the hole by hole scores for all players in the group. We used it very successfully at county events this year.
So only one player needs to be tech happy.