All things scorecard

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Just record your gross scores, let the "system" do the rest! The player is not responsible for reporting Stableford points.

I think that is what I just said - except that I was reminding people to play to their course handicaps and not their playing handicaps. But you can stop recording a score when you know you can't make a point in a stableford or bogey competition with your course handicap. That was the point I was trying to make. No need to carry on to make a gross score if you can't or don't want to score any more. Even in a medal your course handicap might gain you an extra shot if you hole out where it would be 1 point stableford on a hole you don't get a shot on at 95%.

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Here are my dumb questions. After Nov 2, is it only gross score that counts for handicap purposes or are Stableford points still relevant? And how so?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that is what I just said - except that I was reminding people to play to their course handicaps and not their playing handicaps. But you can stop recording a score when you know you can't make a point in a stableford or bogey competition with your course handicap. That was the point I was trying to make. No need to carry on to make a gross score if you can't or don't want to score any more. Even in a medal your course handicap might gain you an extra shot if you hole out where it would be 1 point stableford on a hole you don't get a shot on at 95%.

You've got it right regarding Stableford competitions but I don't follow your last statement. Medal play means you must complete every hole or be disqualified. Stableford considerations don't come into it unless you have given up on the competition and are solely interested in you score for handicapping,

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here are my dumb questions. After Nov 2, is it only gross score that counts for handicap purposes or are Stableford points still relevant? And how so?
Stablefords will still be played and count for handicaps. As now the gross score for each hole will be recorded on the card. Stableford points are an option.
But note ExRabbit's point re making sure that the Competition Handicap is used to determine when you have reached net double bogey not Playing Handicap.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, hopefully it will! It is meant to. But you also need to remember to play to your course handicap - if you don't you may lose shots to your handicap calculations. For instance, if your course handicap is 20, you will only get 19 shots for your playing handicap in a singles competition, but you should still play the stroke 2 hole as if you were a 20, as 3 over par will still get you a point for handicap purposes, but not for the competition if it was stableford etc. Just play to your course handicap and let the computer do the rest. Well, that's according to what I've read so far! :D

Is this correct? I though you had to be mindful of your Handicap Index because it is this that is used for the differential calculations that will impact players handicaps?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this correct? I though you had to be mindful of your Handicap Index because it is this that is used for the differential calculations that will impact players handicaps?
After each round the Score Differential is calculated from (113/Slope) x (Gross (adjusted for net double bogey) - Course Rating - PCC).
Your Handicap Index is the average of the best 8 out of the last 20 Score Differentials returned.

You need to be mindful of your Course Handicap as that determines where you get strokes and when you have taken more than net double bogey and should pick up in stableford.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
You've got it right regarding Stableford competitions but I don't follow your last statement. Medal play means you must complete every hole or be disqualified. Stableford considerations don't come into it unless you have given up on the competition and are solely interested in you score for handicapping,

Is that a new rule under WHS that I have missed? Your comment after kind of contradicts that. Can you no longer record an N/R in a medal without getting a DQ?

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that a new rule under WHS that I have missed? Your comment after kind of contradicts that. Can you no longer record an N/R in a medal without getting a DQ?
Not holing out in a medal gets a DQ for the competition but your score may still count for handicapping purposes.
The first is a Rule of Golf, the second is a Rule of Handicapping.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Ah OK - so why does HowDidIdo allow a score to be recorded as an NR then? As far as I can see it only becomes a DQ if the competition person makes it so.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah OK - so why does HowDidIdo allow a score to be recorded as an NR then? As far as I can see it only becomes a DQ if the competition person makes it so.
Under CONGU ClubV1 is simply looking after handicaps. The decision to DQ is made by the committee.
But are you talking about stableford or medal, NR for hole or round or no card returned

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Under CONGU ClubV1 is simply looking after handicaps. The decision to DQ is made by the committee.
But are you talking about stableford or medal, NR for hole or round or no card returned

It was a medal competition where I walked in after nine holes due to torrential rain, and it is shown as NR - along with a decent proportion of the field who also walked in. I returned my signed card.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Under the rules of golf there is no such thing as an NR, if you fail to finsh a hole, in medal play you are disqualified. NR Is simply the reason for disqualification.

Rules of Handicapping
G3.3 Designation Of Hole Not Completed In Stroke Play
A player must ensure that they mark on their card any hole that is not completed in a Stroke Play round. This can be by writing NR, a dash or zero for the hole, but must be able to distinguish between this and a hole not played at all.

Later on

Holes not started should be recorded as NS.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry to bring up an older thread but the situation regarding which handicaps to put on the scorecard caused a bit of confusion at the weekend. Handicap Index and Course Handicap were both recorded on the card, while the results for the comp (individual strokeplay) are calculated using everyone's Playing Handicap. That means that, for example, one scorecard showed 92 (gross total) - 26 (Course Handicap) = 66. However, the score for the competition was actually a nett 67 as the Playing Handicap is 25. Why on earth wouldn't/shouldn't/isn't playing handicap also marked on the card for full clarity?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to bring up an older thread but the situation regarding which handicaps to put on the scorecard caused a bit of confusion at the weekend. Handicap Index and Course Handicap were both recorded on the card, while the results for the comp (individual strokeplay) are calculated using everyone's Playing Handicap. That means that, for example, one scorecard showed 92 (gross total) - 26 (Course Handicap) = 66. However, the score for the competition was actually a nett 67 as the Playing Handicap is 25. Why on earth wouldn't/shouldn't/isn't playing handicap also marked on the card for full clarity?
You should put on course HC and if you wish in strokes received put in playing HC. Index is not required

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It can be, it just doesn't have to be. No different than it was under CONGU for those formats where a stroke allowance applied (Foursommes BB etc).

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. If playing handicap isn't necessary, should you leave the boxes blank where your net score would normally go? I.e just record your gross score and leave it at that?

Any time I've played in a fourball BB etc the handicap for the day has always been recorded on the card, otherwise it's just chaos. It'd surely be easier to record playing handicap on each card and be done with it?