Competition Prizes

Freddie

Visit site
Hi All

Would like to get some feedback on Golf Club competitions and how prizes are distributed.
In the past, I've known clubs to pay out cash, just as we would pay cash to enter.
But I've now found a club, that only pays winnings into an account in the pro shop, so you have no choice where you spend your winnings. And then, your restricted on how you spend your winnings, i.e. you can't use your account to pay for further competitions.
Could you tell me how your club handle competition entries and payouts ?
I'd also be interested to know if your clubs keep a % of the takings or do they give back 100% of the entrance fees as prizes ?

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My club pay 100% out in prizes and i think a bit on top

it's paid into your account in the pro shop, but they let you take it out if you wish - think it would be frowned upon tho

P

pingpal

We have a pro shop account as well. Each member usually pays a £1 to cover sweep and 2's comps on day of competition(dont have to if you dont want to). The actual comp prize - cup, rosebowl, tankard etc is presented at year end with an SGU voucher (which you can spend anywhere that takes them).

P

pingpal

Cash, vouchers, if only!
My roomful of worthless tat can be viewed here

AliB
That's quite a haul of silverware AliB, are you and the other half a pair of 'mixed doubles bandits' by chance?

PPPT (Or maybe we should call you Ross Fischer?)- what board are you talking about? -there is only one board -the ever elusive club champions board -is that what you mean?

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are many boards - any one of them will do!

I havent even won a monthly medal yet - anything more than that i.e. a named trophy means your name goes on a board in the clubhouse (i do have a play-off for one though)

doubt i will even play in the club championship for a couple of years

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes we get vouchers from the GUI and we can use them in different shops who take them other wise we just put them into our account in the pro shop, that way if we want to buy anything from the pro we can save up for it. I won the guts of £400 this year in vouchers so the way I look at that is it's half of next years fee's paid for. No I cant use the vouchers for my fee's, :p but I wont have to use my cash for golf gear.

It's always nice to get ur name on a cup in 20 years time whenever we're old a frail we can always show the grandchildren what we won years ago. I will also be getting me name up on the Champions board this year for all to see.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's quite a haul of silverware AliB, are you and the other half a pair of 'mixed doubles bandits' by chance?

Silver - I wish, possibly tin and mostly belonging to t'other half. I admit we have just won club doubles. Bandits? :eek: Don't know the meaning of the word.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
As amateurs we arnt allowed to accept cash as prizes, credit or actual cash alternatives only. Rosebowls to crystal and club credit in the pro shop is usually plenty, how many of us turn up on saturday or sunday to win a couple of quid?? (bar the 4 ball grudge matches!)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We used to get half cash, half vouchers. Now we get cash. Nice. Also maybe get glassware (if you want it) and name on board.

Some comps have prizes, ie: spring meeting = 3 wood (or similar).

Interesting point, can't spend pro shop vouchers on lessons. Why? they cost the pro zip, so there is 100% profit. Seems odd to me.