Coming up short on putts

Rip-it

Medal Winner
www.totalre-dec.co.uk
I just can't get my putts to the hole consistently. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm on very fast or slow greens, just trying to hit the ball harder doesn't seem to work!!

Anyone out had and solved this problem with a drill or change of putter or putting style??

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you consistently hitting the middle of the putter face on a square path?

I would work on technique as this could get you to the hole as you seen to be needing.

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's because you're afraid of putting past the hole and having to make that putt coming back. The better you get at 4 - 6 footers the more confident you will become at going for the hole properly. Start from 2ft and really practise those shorties gradually moving back to 6 feet. You won't fix it over a week-end but keep at it and it will pay off.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
When playing with mates, impose a fine of 50p for every putt that comes up short. You'll soon learn!

Heh, we've done that a few times and it actually helps.

For practice (a) put a teepeg in the practice green and putt to it 10 times.... then (b) put the teepeg a foot behind a hole and putt to it 10 times. Repeat A and B, repeat again, then a few more repetitions :thup:

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Dave Pelz talks about the perfect pace is the ball rolling 17" past the hole. He has a game called safety drawback to practice and ingrain this pace and make you confident and comfortable running it at the hole.

On the practice green if you leave a putt short or go more than a putter length (34") past the hole you have to move the ball another putter length away from the hole and putt from there. After the first long putt there is no safe zone (the putter length radius past the hole) and any misses must be drawn back one putter length.

Keep score as you go hole to hole around your putting green and keep testing yourself to see if you are improving.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
what Justone says in post #8

you need to tune your subconscious into the target being beyond the hole rather than the front of the hole; ultimately it will control your stroke, even if you think it's a conscious action!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Look a foot or two past the hole just before you pull the trigger.

It will get you hitting up to and past the hole.