Coming to my senses and some advice

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've had a laser range finder for several years and have always liked knowing the exact yardage to the flag but just recently I have been coming to the conclusion that the exact yardage to the pin is not much use to a player of my ability once I have more than a wedge in my hand. What I should be doing is making sure I hit the green so knowing where the front\middle is is probably more useful.

I am therefore considering buying a GPS and am looking at a garmin G5. I know the skycaddie has good reviews but not sure why I should pay the annual fee if I don't have to. My question is, what else should I be considering aside from the G5? I looked at the G6 but don't see the extra cost over the G5 is worth it.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I have an old skycaddy that I would swap for your old laser... the sky caddy works... that's about all I can say about it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fo what it's worth, the SC SGX is a good price on Amazon and SC are deferring the subs for the first year. I bought the Garmin G6 unbeknown that HID had already treated me to the SGX. It was a decent unit the one and only time I used it and I would look at Garmin again if I ever needed another device and wasn't going to renew my SC

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There is also a cheaper SkyCaddy where there is no subscription for Front/Middle/Back.

That, in combination with the Laser, seems like the 'ideal' set-up for you.

Quite a few other suppliers, such as the Garmin watches, have this info without subscription too.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is also a cheaper SkyCaddy where there is no subscription for Front/Middle/Back.

That, in combination with the Laser, seems like the 'ideal' set-up for you.

Quite a few other suppliers, such as the Garmin watches, have this info without subscription too.

I looked at the garmin S3 also but it's the same price as the g5 and with that I get hazards too.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do the same Mike.....Laser for whenI can see the flag and the flag is worth attacking and Garmin for when I just want the approx yardage for centre of the green. Also have an SGX but the poxy thing kept crapping out on me....Garmin is so much easier....no fees either.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do the same Mike.....Laser for whenI can see the flag and the flag is worth attacking and Garmin for when I just want the approx yardage for centre of the green. Also have an SGX but the poxy thing kept crapping out on me....Garmin is so much easier....no fees either.

Which garmin have you got Rick?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Garmin S1.........does exactly what you want without faffing about choosing which DMD to use :lol:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have the Garmin G5, and if it helps I can tell you its an excellent piece of kit. I hate it when I run out of batteries, it's just not the same.

I cant really judge the distance with the naked eye too well yet so its great to know how far i have to go, so i can best guess the most likely club to use. I will say though, that the watches look pretty decent too. I know you said you wanted it for hazards etc but I dont find I really use it for that. I tend to just look at how far the whole is or how far i have to go.

Either way, the G5 at £110 is a cracking purchase and you wont regret it.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I finally decided to go for the G5 which Mrs H was going to buy me for my birthday which is exactly 1 month away today. I got home last night and went up to get changed and there it was, sitting on my pillow with a nice bow round it. She said she couldn't make me wait a whole month for it and it might as well get some use :D

Can't wait to get to the course and try it out now but typically, it's raining again!

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Hawkeye, I've got the G5. Get yourself some rechargeable batteries and a charger. My rechargeable batteries last 2 rounds. Always got a spare set in my golf bag.

Or if you've got a newer electric trolley they now have a USB connector so no batteries required at all :D

Hope that helps, it's a great piece of kit.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I finally decided to go for the G5 which Mrs H was going to buy me for my birthday which is exactly 1 month away today. I got home last night and went up to get changed and there it was, sitting on my pillow with a nice bow round it. She said she couldn't make me wait a whole month for it and it might as well get some use :D

Can't wait to get to the course and try it out now but typically, it's raining again!

Apologies mate ive only just seen this , if i had seen it earlier i would have said a definate yes for the G5 .. super , super piece of equipment , best of luck with it & enjoy

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hawkeye, I've got the G5. Get yourself some rechargeable batteries and a charger. My rechargeable batteries last 2 rounds. Always got a spare set in my golf bag.

Or if you've got a newer electric trolley they now have a USB connector so no batteries required at all :D

Hope that helps, it's a great piece of kit.

Thanks Paperboy. I am already on the recharger. I have one at home somewhere that I am trying to find but if not will get a new one.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have just bought the Garmin S3 and its now completely changed my club selection process and helped me make 4 birdies in my last 2 rounds on the PGA with 2 being back to back, no luck just picked the right club and put it close :clap:

I can say its possibly the best £211 I've ever spent :thup: