C'mon Poults!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you may have misunderstood. The celebration on the 18th /72nd hole is totally understandable and natural. It's a sudden rush if excitement.

The celebration on the play off is more premeditated imo as he had tome to accept what was happening as it was obvious for 5 minutes he woukd win.
It's still a release of tension when it's actually confirmed. Nothing is done until his ball is in the hole.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think you may have misunderstood. The celebration on the 18th /72nd hole is totally understandable and natural. It's a sudden rush if excitement.

The celebration on the play off is more premeditated imo as he had tome to accept what was happening as it was obvious for 5 minutes he woukd win.

Nah, I got what you meant. I was referring to him potentially planning the celebration prior to hitting the 3 footer on the play-off hole too (that's how a 4-putt happens, when your minds not on the job in hand) And the play-off celebration was certainly muted compared to the 72nd hole which is a nod to him being pretty confident he would win

As said, once its actually in then the release can start and emotions let out (I'm sure we've all had it ourselves in our own little ways, well multiple that by the circumstances/ramifications he faced)

If anything the 72nd hole would be the place to deploy a premeditated celebration, hole your putt and just as you're about to start 'match play' against the other fella. Chest thumping, King of the course type thing, this is my patch, only gonna be one winner here etc etc.

That might well have an impact on many opponents in sudden death

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Nah, I got what you meant. I was referring to him potentially planning the celebration prior to hitting the 3 footer on the play-off hole too (that's how a 4-putt happens, when your minds not on the job in hand) And the play-off celebration was certainly muted compared to the 72nd hole which is a nod to him being pretty confident he would win

As said, once its actually in then the release can start and emotions let out (I'm sure we've all had it ourselves in our own little ways, well multiple that by the circumstances/ramifications he faced)

If anything the 72nd hole would be the place to deploy a premeditated celebration, hole your putt and just as you're about to start 'match play' against the other fella. Chest thumping, King of the course type thing, this is my patch, only gonna be one winner here etc etc.

That might well have an impact on many opponents in sudden death

I don’t think many pros are gonna worry too much about 4 putting (unless they’re Rory.....).

i get the intial outburst. A first pump, a shriek. But it was more than that for me. I like poults, just saying that I’ve seen more gracious winners imo

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don’t think many pros are gonna worry too much about 4 putting (unless they’re Rory.....).

i get the intial outburst. A first pump, a shriek. But it was more than that for me. I like poults, just saying that I’ve seen more gracious winners imo

Gracious it wasn't I'll give you that ;) but very entertaining for me to watch

(While I'm not a Happy Gilmore type I do have a tendency to over-celebrate my little victories out on the course. Arms aloft for that rare birdie, cap off with a nod & wave to the imaginary galleries after sinking that long par-putt. I give myself enough grief over the rubbish that i figure I deserve to enjoy the victories)

So perhaps I just relate to Poulter's actions from a different point of view

D

Deleted member 1418

First stroke play win on American soil.
First win anywhere in god knows when.
A win after being 120th or so after the first round.
Knowing that a win was the only way he'd make the Masters.
A win in a play-off against an American and a Texan (who let's face was playing very slowly).
A number of years battling injury and playing with loads of pressure to retain his tour card.

I actually thought his celebration at the end was right given those circumstances, irrespective of knowing he had won for about 5 minutes.

If that was me I'd have probably shaken my opponents hand, said 'well played, you'll win soon if you play like that' and then set off for a run round the green........and jumped in the lake!!! :whoo:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Gracious it wasn't I'll give you that ;) but very entertaining for me to watch

(While I'm not a Happy Gilmore type I do have a tendency to over-celebrate my little victories out on the course. Arms aloft for that rare birdie, cap off with a nod & wave to the imaginary galleries after sinking that long par-putt. I give myself enough grief over the rubbish that i figure I deserve to enjoy the victories)

So perhaps I just relate to Poulter's actions from a different point of view

I still celebrate my pars!

long putts dropping tend to shock e into silence more than anything else such is their rarity!

D

Deleted member 15344

A win in a play-off against an American and a Texan (who let's face was playing very slowly).
A number of years battling injury and playing with loads of pressure to retain his tour card.

I actually thought his celebration at the end was right given those circumstances, irrespective of knowing he had won for about 5 minutes.

If that was me I'd have probably shaken my opponents hand, said 'well played, you'll win soon if you play like that' and then set off for a run round the green........and jumped in the lake!!! :whoo:

Exactly this

Thought his celebrations were spot on when you consider his circumstances over the last couple of years and even more so over the last couple of weeks - certainly didn’t see them as Ott but guess it’s something to criticise him for

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Good summary and would definitely have paid my admission to see you dive into that lake. Would make a huge splash

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some very good points being made about Poulter's attitude. I thought he was magnanimous in victory, how anyone can think he's an arrogant man after watching that I do not know.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some very good points being made about Poulter's attitude. I thought he was magnanimous in victory, how anyone can think he's an arrogant man after watching that I do not know.

Im with the majority here, I certainly dont think his celebration was OTT when you take into account what he's been through with his game in the last two years, then the last two weeks. Who ever knocks him for winning last week when he needed to and letting his emotions out after doing so is a k nob of butter!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I just don;t see the arrogance that he is accused of. Watched him last night in a discussion on Sky and I thought he came across as a decent and thoughtful guy.

Mind you - that he turned professional with a handicap of 4 does suggest that in his younger days he might well have had significant 'look-at-me; aren't-I-great; I'm-going-to-be-a-star' traits.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just don;t see the arrogance that he is accused of. Watched him last night in a discussion on Sky and I thought he came across as a decent and thoughtful guy.

Mind you - that he turned professional with a handicap of 4 does suggest that in his younger days he might well have had significant 'look-at-me; aren't-I-great; I'm-going-to-be-a-star' traits.
According to his Wikipedia, his handicap was 4 because at his club where he was assistant pro he still had to pay extra to enter competitions so he didn't bother. :rofl:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think he came over arrogant on a tweet when someone goaded him and he bit saying Ferrari and several million quid come back (not my thoughts, always liked the bloke)... I like winners.... and yes, he was very humble in his interview. Hopefully age has mellowed him, bit like Tiger??

I used to follow him on twitter but stopped when he posted a picture of his new $30,000 settee. The ordinary man in the street just cannot relate to that, came across as arrogant then.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to follow him on twitter but stopped when he posted a picture of his new $30,000 settee. The ordinary man in the street just cannot relate to that, came across as arrogant then.

That's not arrogant that's just buying what you can afford, same with his cars.

Sure if we all had that kind of money we would find something to spend our cash on that other's don't see the value in.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Sure if we all had that kind of money we would find something to spend our cash on that other's don't see the value in.

It is arrogant in a 'look at me' manner. 30k for a flippin settee! Get real. He can spend his money on whatever he wants but don't see why you need to put stuff like that in the public domain.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site

This ^^

What was it..? 'Global Tour Golfer' and an Aerial photo outside his Mansion with all his Ferraris lined up With him and his massive head stood in the middle.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

You don't need to post about it though to be fair. Why would anyone care what he parks his backside on when he's watching TV?