C'mon Poults!

D

Deleted member 16999

The way everyone keeps banging on about the Masters you would think this tournament was a Monday qualifier for it

Poulter just won his first stroke play event on the PGA tour, massive for him.

Well done to the man, British golf had a great month
He wasn’t scheduled to play in it and wouldn’t of if he had already qualified for the Masters, it was his last and only chance to get in.

So I totally agree with your sentiment about his first strokeplay win on the PGA and that should be the news, but for Poulter it was his Monday qualifier.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has to go down as one of the great performances on the PGA Tour. Given the pressure to make it in to The Masters, given the mistake last week and then given his position after Round 1 it's an incredible performance. Won't get remembered or the recognition it deserves as it's Poulter, but he deserves a huge amount of credit. Not won a tournament in 6 years, never won a Strokeplay event on the PGA Tour and he does it when he needs a win to secure a spot in one of the big 4 tournaments. Brilliant stuff.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has to go down as one of the great performances on the PGA Tour. Given the pressure to make it in to The Masters, given the mistake last week and then given his position after Round 1 it's an incredible performance. Won't get remembered or the recognition it deserves as it's Poulter, but he deserves a huge amount of credit. Not won a tournament in 6 years, never won a Strokeplay event on the PGA Tour and he does it when he needs a win to secure a spot in one of the big 4 tournaments. Brilliant stuff.
I agree, I think it's extraordinary. And leading into a Masters where people are building it up as one of the best in years with all the strong potential competitors, Poults qualifying at the last minute is just another story to add in.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

You're right it was a great effort - If he was an American he'd be in the headlines.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree, rather see someone grab it than another throw it

Are you joking, did you not watch it?

That putt on the 17th, if not described as grabbing it, I don't know what is!
So he forced the play off and then played unflappable golf - and won!

:thup:

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
If he didn't come across as such an arrogant prat, he might be more in the news over here.

Whenever I've seen him being interviewed he comes across as a normal guy talking enthusiasticaly about golf. Never gives the impression of being an arrogant.................

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Whenever I've seen him being interviewed he comes across as a normal guy talking enthusiasticaly about golf. Never gives the impression of being an arrogant.................

Never seems arrogant to me. Came over rather humble in the post win interview, especially mentioning the injuries and speaking about his wife and family and the support they have given him. Always seems passionate about his golf rather than arrogant

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site
Never seems arrogant to me. Came over rather humble in the post win interview, especially mentioning the injuries and speaking about his wife and family and the support they have given him. Always seems passionate about his golf rather than arrogant
I think he came over arrogant on a tweet when someone goaded him and he bit saying Ferrari and several million quid come back (not my thoughts, always liked the bloke)... I like winners.... and yes, he was very humble in his interview. Hopefully age has mellowed him, bit like Tiger??

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Are you joking, did you not watch it?

That putt on the 17th, if not described as grabbing it, I don't know what is!
So he forced the play off and then played unflappable golf - and won!

:thup:

Yes I did thanks, did you? What happened on the 17th that impressed you so much?

My post that you quoted was made in real time, in response to xcore's post when Hossler put his 3rd shot in the play-off into the water.
Although rooting for Poulter, who did everything right with his two tee shots on 18, I also acknowledge what Hossler did to put himself into a potential winning position during the round. Poulter's big putt on regulation 18 was to force the play-off, not to win.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

The same can be said of Casey too, and Faldo. Don't warm to any of them. None of them will ever need an endoscope.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I did thanks, did you? What happened on the 17th that impressed you so much?

My post that you quoted was made in real time, in response to xcore's post when Hossler put his 3rd shot in the play-off into the water.
Although rooting for Poulter, who did everything right with his two tee shots on 18, I also acknowledge what Hossler did to put himself into a potential winning position during the round. Poulter's big putt on regulation 18 was to force the play-off, not to win.

Sorry my bad, it was, as you say, the putt on the 18th.

Which forced the play off and on to the win.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it was more in his younger days, and he's matured a lot now. I think he seems likeable in interviews and suchlike. It's just a shame he's an Arsenal fan really.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think some of his reactions are more premeditated than natural outbursts.

The chest pump was totally acceptable after the putt on 18 as he’d just pulled off a great shot and rescued it.

The celebrations at at the end of the playoff were ott as he had about 5 minuets stood on the green knowing he’d won as soon as the bunker shot hit the water.

I saw the Garcia celebrations at the Masters and recall the sincere response from rose. That’s more sporting imo, nothing wrong with excitement. But imo there’s a time and a place.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think some of his reactions are more premeditated than natural outbursts.

The chest pump was totally acceptable after the putt on 18 as he’d just pulled off a great shot and rescued it.

The celebrations at at the end of the playoff were ott as he had about 5 minuets stood on the green knowing he’d won as soon as the bunker shot hit the water.

I saw the Garcia celebrations at the Masters and recall the sincere response from rose. That’s more sporting imo, nothing wrong with excitement. But imo there’s a time and a place.

If he can sink the putt and pre-plan the 'spontaneous' celebration then he's an even better player than i thought ;)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If he can sink the putt and pre-plan the 'spontaneous' celebration then he's an even better player than i thought ;)

I think you may have misunderstood. The celebration on the 18th /72nd hole is totally understandable and natural. It's a sudden rush if excitement.

The celebration on the play off is more premeditated imo as he had tome to accept what was happening as it was obvious for 5 minutes he woukd win.