C'mon Poults!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If any of them 'deserve' to be dropped from Major status, it's the US PGA! Not that I am suggesting that happen.

There is a set qualification criteria that covers the vast majority of players that will be invited. The 'past champions' is (now) unique the this tournament, but no longer seems to cause any problem. The 'at the discretion of the Masters Committee' invitation is, imo, an excellent 'tool' to promote golf!

The simple test for whether it's a Major or not is to ask any player which tournament they would most want to win - and I'd bet that the answer for the vast majority, if not all, would be The Masters!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It’s not invite only tho. You qualify for it.. Top 50 go and if you finish Top 12 last year and so on you get in

Best system

You still have to be invited by the Masters Committee.
If Tiger slagged off the course, calling it worse than a 10 dollar goat track and that all the Members were child molestering wife beating crack heads that wouldn't be fit to rot in Hell, he might be surprised to get his invite next year - reigning champion or not
Invitation is at the discretion of the Masters....yes there is a qualification process that gets you an invite - not withstanding the above - but it's still invite only.

D

Deleted member 15344

If the masters shouldn’t be a major then none of them should

Best event bar the open. Beautiful course and full of history

How Golf should be enjoyed

The Masters is an Invitational at the end of the day - the “committee” invite who they wish - they are under no obligation to even invite the world number one. It’s a closed shop and is actually everything you want to change in the game. It’s also beyond the rules of the USGA and R&A as has been seen in recent years.

It is a lovely course no doubt but still imo shouldn’t be a major.

All the other majors players earn their way in , there is no “invites” and ensure that it is open to all.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Anyway, back to Poulter. I'd like to think his primary motivation will be trying to win this golf tournament. Should he do it, any spin offs are a bonus.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
There is something special about Golf ( unlike any other sport) that I can go play a course that the greats have played, I can putt on the same green that Tiger or Jack or Rory etc have putted on.

I can pay and play on almost any course on the open rota but I can’t get to play Augusta .

I love The Masters , it’s a wonderful spectacle, but I hate it that the course isn’t available for the public to play on.

I’ve also said before that the winning exemption should be limited to say 10 or 15 years, there is utterly no point in players like Lyle, Faldo or Woosnam taking the places that should be filled by current top players.

So for the above 2 reasons, it shouldn’t be a major.
Having said that, I hope Poults gets an invite and does well, also if he qualifies by right for the Ryder Cup, the USA won’t like that .

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I love the Masters but not the tv coverage. I want to be able to watch live from the first shot until the last like I do at The Open. No live coverage until 8pm is complete rubbish in this day and age.

D

Deleted member 1147

Past champions, amateur champions, top 50 in the world, top 30 in fedex, recent major winners etc etc etc

What a bunch of hackers 🤔

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never been a great fan of Poulter, but my God I want him to win tonight.
What an effort it would take for him to win, especially after his poor first round.
I just hope the pressure doesn't take it's toll.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I love the Masters but not the tv coverage. I want to be able to watch live from the first shot until the last like I do at The Open. No live coverage until 8pm is complete rubbish in this day and age.

I assume you mean 'just like the open, when it is not on the BBC'.

But yes, I am not a fan of their restrictions on coverage. Yet another reason why it should not be a major.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've never been a great fan of Poulter, but my God I want him to win tonight.
What an effort it would take for him to win, especially after his poor first round.
I just hope the pressure doesn't take it's toll.

Nope, still can't warm to him. Comes across as an arrogant idiot.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It’s not invite only tho. You qualify for it.. Top 50 go and if you finish Top 12 last year and so on you get in

Best system

It is invite only. That isnt up for debate.
If the committee dont want to invite you then you cant play, even if you are world no.1.
So yes it is invite only.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is invite only. That isnt up for debate.
If the committee dont want to invite you then you cant play, even if you are world no.1.
So yes it is invite only.

still hands down the best major to watch. magical

I know which one id rather play in

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gets my vote for a major deffo. Look forward to it every year.

Squeaky bum time for Poulter. I can’t see him getting the job done.

D

Deleted member 15344

still hands down the best major to watch. magical

I know which one id rather play in
All about opinions and seen far too many polls that always go for the Open - mainly because the viewing isn’t restricted to the great unwashed

Even watching it is restricted both ticket wise and television wise- it’s everything that’s bad about golf

You sound like you just swallow up the Sky hype about it - and it’s going to be even worse this year

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
All about opinions and seen far too many polls that always go for the Open - mainly because the viewing isn’t restricted to the great unwashed

Even watching it is restricted both ticket wise and television wise- it’s everything that’s bad about golf

You sound like you just swallow up the Sky hype about it - and it’s going to be even worse this year

I think part of the appeal of the masters is that it's pretty exclusive and invitation only and an invite tends to mean you are someone in the game whether as an amateur or pro. I quite like the fact it's hard to come by tickets it means true golf fans are the ones who go, you don't get hecklers etc. Coverage is always pretty comprehensive in my opinion and you have the option of watching coverage from amen corner from pretty early on in the day if you fancy. I love the open and think it's the greatest golf tournament but the masters isn't far behind in my eyes and I'd imagine over in the states the open would be behind both the masters and us open in a lot of people's eyes. Masters is great to watch just because of the course setup the excitement it brings, how prestine the place is and the colours . Always signifies the start of the proper golfing season in my eyes