Club selection by looking at loft while on the course

LEOHALL

Visit site
During a mixed competition I saw someone holding their foot against two club’s faces to decide by their loft on which club to use. Can anyone tell me if this is allowed and which rule is being contravened if not? Thanks.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I cant see how it can be an issue
Presume that the player was comparing lofts against a straight edge,
Hybrid V 7 Wood, I'm not sure which of mine is the higher loft.

I think you are looking for a solution to a problem that does not exist

Happy to be corrected by those in the know

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I read that to mean standing on the face of the club to see the angle of the shaft and so the loft.
Cant see a problem but not 100%.

LEOHALL

Visit site
A playing partner said ‘that’s not allowed, it’s a training aid’. I left it but wondered if that’s true?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
A playing partner said ‘that’s not allowed, it’s a training aid’. I left it but wondered if that’s true?
Advice often given here is ask them to show you the rule in the book or on the app.
I'm going out in a limb here and saying that is a ridiculous statement they made and there is no such rule.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have wondered (since the change in the rules) if standing on the face of the club to show the angle of flight has become 'illegal' if this is done somewhere away from the line of play.
My interpretation of the new rule is that it is against the rule if done behind the ball on the line of play as it could be interpreted as aiding aiming.

10.2b
(3) No Setting Down Object to Help With Aiming, Taking Stance or Swinging. A
player must not set an object down to help with aiming or to help in taking a
stance for the stroke to be made (such as a club set down on the ground to show
where the player should aim or position their feet).
“Set an object down” means that the object is in contact with the ground and the
player is not touching the object.

Tinkerman

Visit site
I've seen it mentioned in a YT video of golf tips but can't find it now. I believe it is fine as the player is in contact with it (by placing their foot in the face) as opposed to lying the club on the ground for alignment.
Might be better to ask this question in the Rules section though for a definitive answer from the rules experts

WGCRider

Visit site
I do this often. Particularly when considering club selection from a fairway bunker (clearly not in the bunker). Started doing it about 5 years ago when I saw Langer do it on TV during a seniors event.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If I get this right..you lay the back of the iron on the ground, stand on the face and the shaft points up at the loft of the club..
Is that right..?
Well...the ideal launch for a 7 iron ( loft between 28 and 34°) is under 20°..near 16/18 so this method tells you nothing....unless you do launch the ball at the loft of the club..
Even 45° pitching wedges launch at 30ish......

Or am I missing something....

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I get this right..you lay the back of the iron on the ground, stand on the face and the shaft points up at the loft of the club..
Is that right..?
Well...the ideal launch for a 7 iron ( loft between 28 and 34°) is under 20°..near 16/18 so this method tells you nothing....unless you do launch the ball at the loft of the club..

You are missing the fact that the back of the club head isn’t flat so the shaft angle will be even less representative of the launch angle 😃

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Why aren't training aids allowed?

I have what I call a "wobbly knob"! Golf swing tempo trainer. I don't use it during a round but my understanding is that I could.

Later ... rule 4.3a6 says otherwise.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that right..?

Pass on your technical query to some extent, remember launch angle can also be about ball position, where you hands are in relation to the head/shaft, shaft flex.

I just know it works for me, not that I do it often, mainly when I am looking at a small gap in the trees when too high or too low will hit a branch.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is that right..?

It maybe gives you a general ideal of what you can hit the club. You can add loft to an iron too so it's hardly and full proof way of working it out but If you are game then go ahead 😀