Club introducing tee time booking

DanS

Hacker
Visit site
My club has decided to introduce a tee time booking system for weekends when there are no competitions.
I can't help but see this as a negative step as it means planning my weekend to set a time.

Do many of your clubs use a system and can you still get times you want? Or is it monopolised by groups who always have the same slot etc?

Not overly impressed as not booking tee times was a reason I gave for choosing this club in my interview.

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
my club do it on sundays,however i usually just turn up when the urge takes me,or the diy etc is getting om my nerves.i have never had a problem,the longest wait was half an hour and i just used the time to practice my short game.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was introduced at a club down the road from me this year. Has caused all sorts of problems and many members have left. Basically a few well organised groups (seniors mainly) monopolise the morning tee times. Couple that with societies, pay and players and guests at the on site hotel and most members do not get a look in.

DanS

Hacker
Visit site
Fortunately there are no pay and play members, societies or hotel guests to worry about. My main concern is having to plan my weekend and the monopolising.

Might give me the oportunity to play and meet different people?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Never been a problem at Royal Ascot. The only time the tee is booked is for club matches and competitions. Other than that roll up and go out. Obviously peak times like Saturday morning are busy but you can just queue and go.

Its ideal as you never have to worry about trying to get a game (you can go out as a single late afternoons and normally have the course to yourself) and don't have to bbok your weekend around your tee time. If you wake up and it is wet just go up a bit later without worrying about losing your spot.

I can understand the need to book at pay and play/municipals etc where demand is high and the clubs are reliant on green fees for revenue but not at a private club.

DanS - you never stated whether your club is a private members club or public.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a booking "book" for every day. On the weekends nearly everyone books a slot, comp or not. If you turn up to play on spec, you take your chances. There's nothing to stop us phoning an hour before we want to go out and ask for a slot around the time wanted....there's usually a time or two.
You joined a club becuase it was a free for all, I'm guessing that the change has been introduced because the majority of the members have expressed to try this out. I guess you will have to suck it and see. Some members do book as they come in for the next week, yes they monopolise the system, but I've never been that fussed about the "premium" times.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a booking system for every day but weekdays not a major problem.

Luckly upto 12 noon Sat & Sun are reserved for members. We generally have close to 100 memebrs playing in the sunday competition and 50/60 on a sat. need to book a week in advance normally. Not a problem play sat and then book a time for the following sat after your round.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Couldn't be doing with it. I want the freedom to play when I want to play so if that means I can jump in the car at 2.00 on a Saturday and go straight out then fine. I don't want to have to phone ahead to see if there is any chance of a game if I don't mind going out at xxx o'clock

My club is pretty expensive in terms of membership fees but one of the things I am paying for is the exclusivity of being a members only club and the ability to play as and when I want.

DanS Can you give us some more on the clubs decision bearing in mind it is a private club and therefore only has the members interests to cater for?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a booking system at our club its never been a problem dont be fooled into thinking it's all going to be booked up all the time it wont be.

DanS

Hacker
Visit site
The competition and handicapping committee have decided to run a 2 month trial of the system. It is already in use for bokking competition tee times which works well.

Not sure if was supported by the members, i have mailed to get my disapproval noted.

Doh, I'm sure it won't be booked all the time but if you just turn up on spec then you could be in for a potentially long wait to get off.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
We have a booking system and I have only once had a problem and that was due to me booking on the day. Booking is fine as long as the slots are a decent time apart, the problems I see with just turning up is congestion as people think once the group in front are just out of range its time to tee off even if its taken them a couple of minutes to get there.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
At a club i play regually, the 1st and 10th tee are next to each other. No booking is required, you turn up and join the que. If the que is to long for the first, people play the 10th first and do the back 9 then the front.

Longest i've ever had to wait there was about 15 mins. Just enough time to loosen up and plan the round!

I dont really like the booking because as Homer said, if you wake up and its lashing down cant really put it off. Or if the sun is belting and you fancy a knock, most of the time its too late!